Duck Hunting Forum banner

12 gauge black cloud choke tube

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  razorrt5 
#1 ·
I have a black cloud choke tube for my Remington 12 gauge and it sais that it is recommended not to shoot any shells over 1550 fps. I was wondering what will happen if I shoot a shell with more then 1550 fps thrue the choke tube.

#3 ·
Ever watch a Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck cartoon? The end will explode and you can be killed or seriously hurt!!!! If you are looking for distance shots, stay away from black clouds. They don't have what it takes. Get a Patternmaster Code Black extended full choke tube. I am shooting a Remington 870. Code Black tube/ Heavy Metal 3 1/2" #2 . 50+ holes with in a 36" pattern at 75 yards for snow goose hunting!!!!!!!!! My friends Mossberg preforms almost same results using same set-up and 3" Heavy Metal shells. Best $100 I have ever spent.

#5 ·
I've done a 180 on Black Cloud. I used to think it was over-hyped, but this year, out of my factory choke (modified) 3" BB was knocking down honkers at 40-50 yards. My thinking is that because of the wad, it is a long-range load. We've seen the wad hit ducks at 20 yds. Everybody has a different experience with different loads, and to tell you the truth, every gun is different. I have two Berettas, one like Black Cloud and the other doesn't. I'm guessing you're thinking about shooting the BC Snow Goose loads that are 1600+fps? I like those, but the regular loads have more shot and seem to pattern better.

#6 ·
No, I would rather have a slower shell with more bbs. I religiously use Black cloud 3.5"ers on geese in bb but may try bbb for more penetration. The geese here ussually float around 12-18 pounds (Canada Geese) so big shot is required. I would probably shoot this load at snow geese due to the fat of how well it shoots

#7 ·
Fed blue box 3 in 1-1/4 ounce bbb. Geese. Dead on the ground. No prom
Fed blue box 3.5 bbb. Geese.
Factory choke never would buy a non factory choke
Been birds and stuff for 40 years At all distances.
Either you can swing the barrel or u can't plan and simple
All that other stuff is just show and tell

If you really needs the gimmicks. Then one would think a fine gun like the a5 Would come with the gimmicks

Or an 1100. Would tooo.

#8 ·
I almost exclusively use Black Cloud 3" #2 for everything (preferably Snow Goose loads) with a MOD Kicks vortex.... works wonders in my opinion. I try not to use any other brand.... and the snow goose is 1635 fps, never had an issue, I'm shooting a 12g stoeger m3000... I've dropped 'em 15 ft away and 60 yards away (given the 60yrd shot is not ideal practice for a MOD)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.