Duck Hunting Forum banner

SNOWS

18K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  deerbarn 
#1 ·
Anybody on the site chasing them in New York ??? Going up close to the Canadian border near Champlain tonite. Last week we saw about 70,000 in this area after the snow storm (10-12 inches). Unfortunately the snow left our deeks with a crust of ice and the birds just wouldn't come until it melted off. Ended up with 39.
Ru

#3 ·
Hi everybody - back on the site. planning a trip up to Champlain next weekend (3/14 & 3/15). Wondering if anyone has any reports on this years migration (2014)......kinda worried that it will be late due to all of the snow and wicked cold temps we've had this winter. Any information would be appreciated. :huh:
Ru

#4 ·
I'm in northern VT, you can't find a parking lot with a wet puddle let alone open water anywhere, Champlain having the most ice cover in a decade is definitely going to slow them up, haven't heard too much but last I knew they were holding in NJ/PA for the most part, if you hear otherwise let us know! I have a friend in Moores NY that might, might let me hunt! We'll see!

#5 ·
Just talked to my buddy in Chazy (upper Champlain). No snows yet. Looks like they are holding in PA at the moment. I have to believe the breeders are starting to get itchy but this weather just won't quit. Chazy got 10 new inches Wednesday and still lots of frigid temps and thus ice. Warming up for a couple of days and then dropping below normal yet again.
Ru

#7 ·
Some buddies and me are going up to hunt the Lake Champlain area this weekend 4/5/14

Anyone else have reports of Plattsburgh NY/Lake Champlain area????

I saw several hundred snows here and there along 81 south of Preble and north of Homer. Some other friends have been seeing a lot of snows in finger lakes area but have been losing them to fields with like 3000 decoys when they only have about 700 decoys

#8 ·
Father Inlaw said he saw snows Saturday along I-87 between chaplain and Plattsburgh. I really can't be more specific neither of us are that familiar with the area! He was a serious waterfowl in his prime so when he says a good number of birds I'm guessing it was prob 1000+, he didn't really say but when I asked if he saw any he said ohhh yeah!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.