NE, IA, IL, and IN reports 07-08

Regional reports on the migration of Snow and Blue geese.

FOR MIGRATION REPORTS ONLY

Postby DUJUNKIE » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 pm

ohsay wrote:This weather is terrible. A lot of birds left the basin on Saturday and haven't yet been reinforced. It doesn't look like it's going to be a very good year. More snow and cold temps expected at the end of the week.

around here i have been seeing tons of snows around grand island

my flooded acres are just covered on sunday we shot 2 pickup loads the cold pushed out some but i am still seeing large numbers

i guess we will see what the morning brings dont give up it looks like it could be a good season
QUACK SMACKER
DUJUNKIE
Forum Moderator

Postby DUJUNKIE » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:31 pm

one thing i will say even with 400 full bodies these snows just aint decoying worth a damn
QUACK SMACKER
DUJUNKIE
Forum Moderator

Postby ohsay » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:57 pm

There have been a lot in Grand Island and just east of there along 80. There just haven't been many hanging out SE of there between 81 and 77 like there normally is. The water was just opening up down there before this cold spell. It's been warmer around grand island so I think they're all just hopping from Kansas up to you. There aren't many feeding flocks at all hanging around when you get much north of Odell until you get up around grand island.

Well travelers and ones that have been holed up there for over a wekk never decoy well. You need the groups that are new, but wanting to feed. The weather is really srewing with that. They either fly right through or get stuck by a front and educate to the area REAL fast. Have you noticed that the flocks seem quieter this year? We've only had one 'roaring' flock come in on us. Thinking about turning the callers down a bit.
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Postby DUJUNKIE » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:07 am

ohsay wrote:Well travelers and ones that have been holed up there for over a wekk never decoy well. You need the groups that are new, but wanting to feed. The weather is really srewing with that. They either fly right through or get stuck by a front and educate to the area REAL fast. Have you noticed that the flocks seem quieter this year? We've only had one 'roaring' flock come in on us. Thinking about turning the callers down a bit.

yea strange ive been hearing the same thing i wonder why
QUACK SMACKER
DUJUNKIE
Forum Moderator

Postby DUJUNKIE » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:56 pm

i ve seen lots of migrating groups today not to much using fields
QUACK SMACKER
DUJUNKIE
Forum Moderator

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:14 pm

We've been finding ourselves turning down the Ecallers a lot more the past couple years...especially the Ecaller working the landing zone.

Are the migrators passing over Grand Island?
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby gotduck68415 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:07 pm

We have alot of birds hold up in SE NE right now. Ive been seeing alot of birds migrating to the NW of me, That would be in the direction of the Rainwater Basin.
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUJUNKIE » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:08 pm

Chris Hustad wrote:We've been finding ourselves turning down the Ecallers a lot more the past couple years...especially the Ecaller working the landing zone.

Are the migrators passing over Grand Island?

i live around hastings in a rural area latley lots of birds are staging in the platte river pier park and fonner park in grand island consitently holds lots of birds the race track at fonner parcl i hear is just loaded

we can hunt again 2morro
QUACK SMACKER
DUJUNKIE
Forum Moderator

Postby ohsay » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:31 pm

We're seeing more birds right now in central nebraska than I've EVER seen. I have to believe that they're pushing west from the basin with the weather and temps the way they are around there. Sutherland is loaded right now.
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:02 pm

ohsay wrote:We're seeing more birds right now in central nebraska than I've EVER seen. I have to believe that they're pushing west from the basin with the weather and temps the way they are around there. Sutherland is loaded right now.

Went out today to find the mass of birds and saw 1000's and 1000's migrating to the Basins. This has to be one of the best years Ive seen in a long time. Most of the water is all open in my area now, and birds are holding on most of the biger waters.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:13 am

i need help as soon as possible are there still huntable nubers of snow gees in souther nebraksa taking a road trip and weret ryingto get my buddies little brother started on hunting. just hoping they didnt go all the back to kansass with this snow and cold weather.
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:26 am

We went out this morning and only had 1 flock work the spread. This new snow has them acting funny. Drove around a little on the way home and there are alot of birds still here. Ill update you after the evening hunt. :thumbsup:
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:52 am

thanks for the info
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

snow goose migration

Postby jbanks54 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:03 pm

Yesterday, (3-9-08) I went from Beatrice,Ne to Arapahoe,Ne and I saw thousands of geese. I have never saw so many geese in my life in one day. I am guessing around 200,000 geese. It was swarm after swarm of snows and blues.
jbanks54
Newb

Postby gotduck68415 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:29 pm

Yes it was a great weekend of hunting. There are still new birds coming in to the area. We still have a bunch of birds holding in the SE NE area.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:32 pm

i hope the cold weather and snow will push them back south again shot a few this year over the deekes and cowed a most of them so far.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:26 pm

Well I guess all it took was one day to hit 70 add most of the birds that I was bragging about last night to move. There are just a few birds in the area now. Get ready in northern NE and SD if they arent there already.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Goosekiller06 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:11 am

Hundreds of thousands flying over Council Bluffs, Ia today at 8:30 in the morning. As far as you could see north and south were geese stacked thick. Seen birds moving yesterday also but this moring was unbelievable.
GET YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF MY BANGSTICK!
08/09 Season Totals
Snipe-5
Shovler-1
Geese-11
Mallards-2
Greenwings-1
Bluewings-3
Pintails-
Gadwall-17
RedHeads-
Widgeon-6
Woodies-7
Goosekiller06
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:01 pm

W Iowa and NE should be good right now, and NW part of MO too.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gotduck68415 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:34 pm

SE Nebraska isnt very hot right now. Most of the birds have moved on and just a few new ones every day. Maybe someone else has other info.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trueoutdoorsman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:08 am

We have been having very good luck in SE Nebraska. A ton of birds with only a few slow days and great decoying. Would be perfect if we hadn't had three snow storms this month to hunt in. good luck and shoot straight
DHC Sponsoring Outfitter
www.jnaoutfitters.com
Snow goose and Turkey hunting outfitters
trueoutdoorsman
DHC Sponsor

Postby Admin2 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:45 am

There still should be good shooting avaibale in IA and NE as the juviniles should be around yet for at least another week.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Previous

Return to Snow Goose Migration Reporting Forum