Crazy hunting story or cool thing that happened

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

Re: Crazy hunting story or cool thing that happened

Postby BrettA » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Walking across a slough near the river with my friends, I was about 5 yards further out that they were and I take a step and fall straight down in waders. Water was over my head they hurried and pulled me up. Day after I got an iPhone. It didnt seem to work after that..
BrettA
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:23 pm

I shot a banded green wing teal one handed this year, while i was unbuckling my waders to take a leak!

Few years ago I also shot a lone goose standing on the ice about 60yds with a 36in barrel'd single shot 12ga using T shot! :yes:

last year, hunting with my dad and 2 brothers a group of 5 geese come in, all 5 shot and killed. 3 of them are banded! and my band was 13 years old! :bow:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby garret schukis » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:24 pm

1 shot was done for the day on teal about 100 of them jumped walking our creek.
2011-2012
114 ducks
68 geese
3 bands
1 collar
garret schukis
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:03 pm

5 geese come in to our decoys and are circling around but never commited to land. so finnaly we decided to shoot them before they flared off. 3 guys, 3 shots each, 5 unwounded geese live happily ever after. :mad:

i had shot 4 ducks already and my older brother hadnt shot anything. so i said that i would take him over to a slough and see if we cant jump some ducks. so we get there, and 2 Barrow's goldeneyes jump out of the slough. my brother shoots 3 times and misses, and then i shoot twice and drop both of them :smile: i got the drake mounted. good way to finish off a limit of ducks
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Duck Collector » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:36 am

Cool story bro. Tell it again.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby MossyMallard12 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:04 pm

I was sittin in the blind and the wind was blowing. me and a guy went out to set up some goose deeks that blew over, and the third guy went to work on the other blind, I turn around from setting the deekes back up and like no crap 100 Mallards were tornadoing over our deeks. I was soo mad we ran into the blind and managed to shoot one drake out of them all.
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby waterswater96 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:02 pm

called in flock of 60 geese by myself killed 2 and had to shoot a goose that hit ground but still lively from other hunter
Hilljacks at there finest.
Too many birds not enough shells.
waterswater96
hunter

Postby duuck » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:04 pm

This year, me and my buddy sunk his boat trying to hunt on the beach. Wasnt fun but luckily it was only in about 4 foot of water and we managed to save it once the tide went out.
last year, shot 4 does that walked out the marsh right by us
thats all i can think of right now
jehler wrote:Comparing flambeau to ghg is like comparing horseshit to cowshit
duuck
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:12 pm

last november me and a cople buddies planned a trip on the saginaw bay in michigan, but when the day came the wind was blowing 35+ mph with sleet and hail comming down, but we decided to go anyways. the water was up almost 4 feet above average and there were 2 foot white caps rollin in. we hunkered down on the back side of a point to get out of the weather best we could. we only had about 1 hour of light to hunt. it was one of the best days of huntin we had all year. we had aroud 15 duck come in in pairs and triples. we only go one though thanks to our great shootin skills. :lol3: we also had 3 geese lock up into our puddle duck spread and we dropped 2 of those. 5 min after hours we had about 100 geese circling the hole we were hunting while we were picking up deeks. in 1 hour of hunting we had 2 geese and a duck and should of had a full limit of ducks if we coulda hit em.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby butte7 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:57 pm

Was hunting my dad and our friend, and it was my dogs first hunt. after we had about 6 wigeon a tightly packed group of teal flew past at about 20 yards. Me and our friend each shot once and we got 9 teal. My dog was going nuts and got a few that had only broken wings that we would have never found without him.
butte7
hunter

Postby Zochbirds » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:51 pm

butte7 wrote:Was hunting my dad and our friend,.

You where hunting your dad and your friends?! Now thats a crazy story!
If that doesn't get your blood boiling... nothing will.
2013-2014
Pintails-3
spoonbills-1
wigeon-10
teal-2
total:16
Zochbirds
hunter

Postby VAgooser » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:29 pm

one day in Jan we got into a flock of geese along the Rappahanock river in VA. After killing a few, our friends retriever went off into the woods looking for a bird who glided off into the woods, and his owner, our buddy Joe, followed him. So there out looking for the bird, and another flock comes rolling up. me and my dad tighten up, and I bring em in with soft feeding calls and moans. My dad jumps the gun and starts shooting, and the birds pick back up. I whacked the lead bird and then realized I hadnt reloaded since the last group! my bird lands in the rapids and starts rolling on down the river. I take off after it (no waders on) and end up to my chest in ice cold water! I chased it to the very last rapid (theres a huge deep pool below it) and caught the bird by a tailfeather! i was freezing the rest of the hunt, but i got my bird!
VAgooser
hunter

Postby ducks385 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:18 pm

we had a cow walk out on a goose field we were hunting. and also got shot from 70 yards on the youth hunt my dad got yelled at by the warden for swearing.
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
ducks385
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:03 pm

ducks385 wrote:we had a cow walk out on a goose field we were hunting. and also got shot from 70 yards on the youth hunt my dad got yelled at by the warden for swearing.

That's gotta sting.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby ducks385 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:37 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
ducks385 wrote:we had a cow walk out on a goose field we were hunting. and also got shot from 70 yards on the youth hunt my dad got yelled at by the warden for swearing.

That's gotta sting.

yea good thing it was that far to i had bbs bouncing of my waders
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
ducks385
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 pm

Hunting with two other guys. Group of gaddies came in and we dropped 2 and sailed one. "Phil" went out to grab all three, including the sailed bird.
When he had his back to us and was a ways out, we took every single duck we had on the strap at that point (about 4 or 5), threw em out in front of us in the spread, and let a volley of shots go.
"Phil"came back and was ordered to get the other birds out in the spread, to which he was pumped we had shot so well.
Upon re-entering the blind he realized what had unfolded.
Priceless.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:41 am

Hunted with my brother and friend on wednesday before school ( I could hunt about an hour before I had to leave but I had 3rd pick for MO's quick draw system so we went!) at shooting time I shot a double with my first 3 shots and ran out to grab them and when I get to them a green wing dive bombs me and I busted him and Had 3 ducks already in less than 3 minutes of shooting time!

I ended up getting 4 in less than an hour of hunting and my brother and friend pulled out 9 more ducks after I left!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Zanyack » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:54 pm

I was out with my friend and his dad one day. We weren't having much action that day it was 10:00 am and we had bagged a hen mallard and that's it. I looked out and saw a huge flock of what I thought were black birds. They were swooping and soaring like black birds and all the sudden my friends dad said those are ducks! We started calling and they were working and three broke away and me and my friend both got one. It turns out that it was a flock of about forty greenwings and I got mine mounted. That's all we got the rest of the day.
Zanyack
Newb

Previous

Return to Youth