What grades do you have to make

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

Re: What grades do you have to make

Postby nwwaterpolo11 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:40 am

Just have to keep a 3.5 thru high school... Concentrate on school as much as you can, it'll help a lot in 1) Finding a good college 2) Getting a good career 3) Eventually more time out hunting
Underradar wrote: I hope so. In heaven, dogs get to eat Koreans.
nwwaterpolo11
hunter

Postby MossyMallard12 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:40 am

C or higher all that sounds horrible! At my school 71%-70% is a D- :fingerhead:
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby duuck » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:56 pm

MossyMallard12 wrote:C or higher all that sounds horrible! At my school 71%-70% is a D- :fingerhead:

71%-70%?? thats odd sounding. Im glad im out of high school and in college, my parents cant really say I cant go huntin now. but I still choose to keep good grades. 7 more years of school, I gotta keep good grades
jehler wrote:Comparing flambeau to ghg is like comparing horseshit to cowshit
duuck
hunter

Postby Cliner » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:23 pm

I'm impressed you all have to have such high standards. Just like others have said, make school and your grades a high priority. When I was in high school, I never gave a ton of thought to the future, so I didn't care too much. During college, you really start thinking about the future and your future (most of the time), depends on your knowledge/grades. Your future is when you get to hunt/fish/play/etc. Set yourself up for the future early and you'll be happy in the long run. I'll give you 3 words of advice, MATH AND SCIENCE! There is such a shortage of people who are proficient in math and science, therefore, offering a large demand of jobs. Math and science jobs also command a decent salary, which in turn, helps with hunting/fishing/playing. I was never graced with great English skills, but I can do math and science, and I do alright. Some of the biggest factors in not having time to hunt are wife and kids :lol3:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby gander_lander34 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:39 am

Like one member said, it's your parents trying to instill priorities and a work ethic in you. You may not appreciate it now, but I promise you that you will down the road once you're out of school. I'm in the Army and I use more math and science everyday than I ever thought I would in my life and I've been told by many people I am one of the hardest working people they know. I attribute that to my parents. Yes, it can be complex math too. Algebra, geometry, trig, all that stuff. No, I don't sit behind a desk either. All that info goes into dialing in for a bullet to impact an 18" target at over 3/4 of a mile away or using the right amount of C4 and understanding it characteristics when blowing something up. (So all those word problems of Peter is in a row boat and is going this fast with the current, while Jane is in a motor boat going this fast into the current, where on the map will they meet...they all have real world applications). I turned everything in high school into a real life problem for me. Don't understand arcs and angles? Look at bullet trajectory from your gun or the true distance from the base of your tree stand to your height to the distance of the deer. It's amazing how much it changes. I never understood in high school when they said think outside the box, but with the job I do in the military, I do that everyday of my life.

As for the comment about the spanish language course. With my job in the military, I'm required to know a second language. Ironically, I was given spanish to learn. With the job we do, we need it to survive in a foreign country where we may not have a translator. A lot of my co-workers speak Arabic, French, Farsi, Chinese, Thai, and many others. There is a special pay we receive if we score high enough on the tests. It ranges anywhere from an extra $150-$1,000/month depending on the difficulty of your language and how many you can speak. Again, that's not your normal pay, that's an incentive pay on top of your normal pay. Same goes for many other jobs throughout the country and the world. If you speak a second language, you are already more marketable to a company and many times will be compensated for it.

Also, remember this, if you have a good work ethic and at least try to understand and apply concepts learned, you will go a lot farther in life rather than someone who doesn't care. I've been in the Army for 8 years and I can tell instantly when a new private shows up whether or not he or she is going to be worth anything, just by the way they act. The "I don't care and know everything attitude" comes out a lot quicker and is more apparent than you think. I promise you, work hard and pay attention now, and it WILL pay off for you 100 fold later down the road whether it's in the form of money, a job position, or the satisfaction of knowing you actually EARN your paycheck, regardless of the job you do. Sorry for ranting so long, but having good grades to be able to hunt I believe is a good thing.
gander_lander34
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:34 am

I can't stress enough the importance and relevance of what Gander_Lander has written previously.
Journeyman Welder-Pipefitter, Mechanical Technologist and Professional Mechanical Engineer ~ Lost.
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu May 24, 2012 7:03 pm

work ethic will take you farther than smarts IMO.

didnt have the best grades in HS (just graduated a week ago) but all where passing and mostly B- and up for my senior year.

the only classes I have used outside of school is simple math and welding, and I have been working 2 jobs all of my senior year, and now full time or one and part time at another. 37.5 hours worked so far in 4 days and another day or 2 left in this work week for me! :eek: not bad being 18 and a manager either :thumbsup: but I've sure worked my @ss of to get there!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Fri May 25, 2012 6:51 am

Work ethic is a given, you still need training so that your work ethic is productive in the correct way. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat May 26, 2012 12:18 am

lostknife4 wrote:Work ethic is a given, you still need training so that your work ethic is productive in the correct way. Lost

yes, I just enrolled in an online summer college courses and fall courses the day after I got out of school.

2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sat May 26, 2012 12:39 am

Work ethic is definitely important and can take you a long way. A lot of my family is like that. But a high education can lead to a higher paying job. If you have a good work ethic and a good education, you're set.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby archerykid13 » Sun May 27, 2012 5:49 am

All A's. But I've got a 4.0 as of now. You need to get good grades. I love hunting just as much as you guys but if you guys don't do what you need to do now then you won't be able to do want you want to when you get older.

Jake
archerykid13
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:25 am

Just be the best you can be, no matter what it is! Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby archerykid13 » Sun May 27, 2012 7:05 am

I agree 100% lost.
archerykid13
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sun May 27, 2012 10:17 am

Finished with a solid 3.0 last semester. It's an OK in my parents book to go hunting
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm getting home-schooled next year, so hopefully I can do more traveling to calling contests and I will also have more opportunities to hunt. Hopefully it will work, as I can work at my own pace :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon May 28, 2012 7:51 pm

mayhem96 wrote:I'm getting home-schooled next year, so hopefully I can do more traveling to calling contests and I will also have more opportunities to hunt. Hopefully it will work, as I can work at my own pace :thumbsup:

that can also come around to bite you in the @ss, my online courses expel you if you do not have any activity at least once a week. you get lazy, take a break, or a little time off and you forget everything you've learned.

2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:58 am

shootable Goose wrote:Finished with a solid 3.0 last semester. It's an OK in my parents book to go hunting

It's a balance between life's tasks, you can't do schoolwork all the time and you need some hunting and fishing to help you focus on the really meaningful things in life too! Lost
lostknife4
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:05 pm

dont have restrictions cause i make good grades and besides i paid for my duck boat and all of my other hunting stuff so it is all mine an they cant take em away
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:44 pm

I'm just tryin to get through hs with at least a 3.0. Meanwhile only huntig on weekends and days when I have no school. Once I hit college it's game on. Wake up, shoot a goose, take a test, shoot a duck, considering my honey hole is 5 minutes away from the campus I want to go to.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby ducks385 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:59 pm

i have to have a's or b's but if i have c's it depends on if i pass test.
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
ducks385
hunter

Postby landon__odell23 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:49 pm

Have to make all A's or I don't hunt or play baseball till they come back up. Bout to finish my first semester of 8th grade, takin all preap and algebra 1. Never made a b in my life
landon__odell23
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:01 pm

My parents say as long as i stay on honor roll but i think as and b+ is what they really mean. but from september to november my grades do drop a little cuz of hunting.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby CrazyDrake » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Missed the first 3 weeks of Gun season in the 7th grade because of a report card that came out the Friday before opening day. Suck it up and make better grades. It's called a life lesson, and one day you will understand.

Oh yea, I had a 79.44 in the Math class.
CrazyDrake
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:24 pm

When I was going to school, my parents always required a B in my courses, which really peeved me. I always said when I had kids of my own I wouldn't require a certain grade average. Well, from day one what I did require of my children was a 110% effort, I was smart enough to realize not every person was smart enough in every subject to get the dreaded B my parents required of me. Both of my daughters made it thru school making As and Bs , how ever one daughter did terrible in one class and got an D, was I upset, no, I actually rewarded her. Why because she worked her butt off for the D, and I visually saw each night the effort she put forth.

Grade Point Average is BS in my mind, have you ever see a Doctors degree with a GPA on it.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:24 pm

Somewhere along this trail of life we find that we are really interested in a career, I'm 68 a retired Professional Engineer, Union Pipefitter, Mechanical Technologist, Pilot and a bunch of other stuff and I still don't really know what I want to be when I grow up!!!
I had opportunities and made choices, I found out that I couldn't just do well in the subjects I liked and the hell with the rest, I had to do it all or it was all for naught. I applaud your vision of education cluckmeister, it's the effort that matters in the long run.
Lost
lostknife4
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Youth