How many bands you got in your experience?

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby MossyMallard12 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:35 am

I don't have any yet. But I'm trying to get one! My dad has a banded Snow Goose mounted. How many you got in your life?
Last edited by MossyMallard12 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am
Location: Hamburg, Iowa


Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:01 pm

been hutin for 3 years and havent got any yet. iv only killed maby 2 dozen ducks and geese though. none of my family hunts waterfowl so ive been huting with minimal gear and most of its homemade. through last fall and this comming summer i should have baught most of the necessary gear, so hopefully this fall ill get a band or 2. :thumbsup:
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:06 pm

You could have all the skill and the gear in the world, but getting a band requires luck. Out of about 200 geese killed on my property in the last 3 seasons we have only gotten 1 band. And that's pretty good for some people....
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
User avatar
shootable Goose
hunter
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:46 am
Location: northern colorado

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby NuffDaddy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:37 pm

shootable Goose wrote:You could have all the skill and the gear in the world, but getting a band requires luck. Out of about 200 geese killed on my property in the last 3 seasons we have only gotten 1 band. And that's pretty good for some people....

it requires a lot of luck to get a band but last season i only killed 8 ducks and geese. you have a lot better chance if you shoot 50 or 100.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1578
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:47 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:You could have all the skill and the gear in the world, but getting a band requires luck. Out of about 200 geese killed on my property in the last 3 seasons we have only gotten 1 band. And that's pretty good for some people....

it requires a lot of luck to get a band but last season i only killed 8 ducks and geese. you have a lot better chance if you shoot 50 or 100.

Yes it definitely increases your chances. Then theres the guys who limit out with all bands. It's all about where a banding location is in relation to your huntig spot. Good luck :thumbsup:
I still haven't gotten my first one either.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
User avatar
shootable Goose
hunter
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:46 am
Location: northern colorado

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby sws002 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Here's the real question, who cares? Granted, I enjoy shooting bands as much as the next guy but bands do not equal experience nor do they make you a better duck/goose hunter. Killing bands is a matter of luck, and yes obviously the odds go up with the number of birds you shoot, but I also know people who have hunted for 30 years and never killed one and on the other side I know people who have killed bands on their very first birds. It is literally like asking someone how many times they have won the lottery. Who cares, enjoy playing the game.
User avatar
sws002
hunter
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:52 am

shot 2 banded geese in the 2010/2011 season, and a banded green wing teal drake in the 2011/2012 season.

one of my banded geese was 13 years old! :eek:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:13 am

sws002 wrote:Here's the real question, who cares? Granted, I enjoy shooting bands as much as the next guy but bands do not equal experience nor do they make you a better duck/goose hunter. Killing bands is a matter of luck, and yes obviously the odds go up with the number of birds you shoot, but I also know people who have hunted for 30 years and never killed one and on the other side I know people who have killed bands on their very first birds. It is literally like asking someone how many times they have won the lottery. Who cares, enjoy playing the game.


Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see where anyone said anything about bands showing a person's duck hunting skill. The OP asked a simple question, "how many bands do you have?" Yes bands are, for the most part, pure luck. No one on here said that the amount of bands = amount of experience.

By the way, I haven't killed a band yet.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby garret schukis » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:48 am

3 and a collar off of a cackler.
2011-2012
114 ducks
68 geese
3 bands
1 collar
garret schukis
hunter
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby sws002 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:03 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:
Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see where anyone said anything about bands showing a person's duck hunting skill. The OP asked a simple question, "how many bands do you have?" Yes bands are, for the most part, pure luck. No one on here said that the amount of bands = amount of experience.

By the way, I haven't killed a band yet.



Did you read the original post? In the first sentence it references that he hasn't shot a band and that he was clearly upset ( :mad: ) that he hadn't managed to do it yet. I've managed to kill two bands and I could honestly care less if I ever kill another one, although I will definitely be happy if it happens again because it is cool to find out what kind of path the bird took to get to you. It just gets under my skin the obsession some people have with the need to shoot bands to prove how good of a hunter they are. I'm not saying anybody on this thread is guilty of it, but being concerned with how many bands someone you have no clue who they are has is one of the first steps to a Jeff Foiles type obsession. I know it seems extreme, but do a little research on this forum and others (EPIC thread) and see what kind of lengths people will go to to show how cool they are for killing a banded or collared bird. There is nothing wrong with wanting/trying to kill bands, as a matter of fact when we are having large flights of birds during the regular season (keep in mind our goose limit is 2), a lot of times we will "band check" the bigger flocks as they pass over as typically we wouldn't shoot into them and would instead wait for smaller flocks. Quit obsessing about killing bands and how many bands other people have, you are missing all of the fun by doing it. I've had more fun decoying flocks of thousands of geese that we never shot at than I ever will killing a single band, let alone 100.
User avatar
sws002
hunter
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't want a band to show everyone how cool I am or whatever. I just think there a cool trophy that very waterfowler looks foward to get at least one.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
User avatar
shootable Goose
hunter
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:46 am
Location: northern colorado

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby sws002 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:09 pm

shootable Goose wrote:I don't want a band to show everyone how cool I am or whatever. I just think there a cool trophy that very waterfowler looks foward to get at least one.


And that's how it should be. I would much rather hear the story of how you shot your band than know how many bands you have. I would one day like to get a mount done of every band I have shot and put the certificate underneath every mount. I've only shot 2, but I still remember every detail of how I ended up shooting them, that's the most important to me.
User avatar
sws002
hunter
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:56 pm

sws002 wrote:Did you read the original post? In the first sentence it references that he hasn't shot a band and that he was clearly upset ( :mad: ) that he hadn't managed to do it yet.


Ok, so he's upset he hasn't shot a band? He didn't say:

MossyMallard12 wrote:I don't have any yet. :mad: But I'm trying hard because when I do, I'll be a much better hunter.


You were the only one that associated bands with amount of waterfowling experience.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby sws002 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:14 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:
You were the only one that associated bands with amount of waterfowling experience.


No, I just wanted to make sure that wasn't becoming the case, because like I said, getting frustrated about not killing bands is just a step in the wrong direction.
User avatar
sws002
hunter
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:57 pm

sws002 wrote:
River Ramblin' Man wrote:
You were the only one that associated bands with amount of waterfowling experience.


No, I just wanted to make sure that wasn't becoming the case, because like I said, getting frustrated about not killing bands is just a step in the wrong direction.


I agree with you on not wanting it to get to that point. Killing a band would awesome, but killing a bird without a band is by no means a disappointment. Which I hope is the case with many of the people on here.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby MossyMallard12 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:59 pm

MossyMallard12 wrote:I don't have any yet. :mad: But I'm trying hard because when I do, I'll be a much better hunter.
When in the hell did I say that? I said I dont have any yet but I'm trying hard to get one, and my dad has one how many do you have, NEVER DID I SAY "I don't have any yet. :mad: But I'm trying hard because when I do, I'll be a much better hunter." I never said that. And I'm not abscessed with bands I'm just saying i'd just like to shoot one to mount it, and for the fun and sport of waterfowl. (And put food on the table) :thumbsup:
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am
Location: Hamburg, Iowa

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:53 pm

MossyMallard12 wrote:When in the hell did I say that? I said I dont have any yet but I'm trying hard to get one, and my dad has one how many do you have, NEVER DID I SAY "I don't have any yet. :mad: But I'm trying hard because when I do, I'll be a much better hunter." I never said that. And I'm not abscessed with bands I'm just saying i'd just like to shoot one to mount it, and for the fun and sport of waterfowl. (And put food on the table) :thumbsup:


What grade are you in? My guess would be second? You have no idea how hard it is to keep myself from blowing up on you at this point. Please, for the love of God learn to read. I said that you didn't associate bands with hunting experience. I was actually taking up for you.

But I take that back because of your "my dad has a band, how many do you have statement?" BANDS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EXPERIENCE. So your dad has a snow goose band. I don't freakin' care! That doesn't mean he's a great hunter. For all I know he may have gone out and sky busted a snow, and it was banded. But the next time you're gonna get in the middle of an argument, READ THE POSTS. It'll make you sound just a tad less idiotic.

River Ramblin' Man wrote:Ok, so he's upset he hasn't shot a band? He didn't say:

MossyMallard12 wrote:I don't have any yet. :mad: But I'm trying hard because when I do, I'll be a much better hunter.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby sws002 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:03 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:
What grade are you in? My guess would be second? You have no idea how hard it is to keep myself from blowing up on you at this point. Please, for the love of God learn to read. I said that you didn't associate bands with hunting experience. I was actually taking up for you.

But I take that back because of your "my dad has a band, how many do you have statement?" BANDS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EXPERIENCE. So your dad has a snow goose band. I don't freakin' care! That doesn't mean he's a great hunter. For all I know he may have gone out and sky busted a snow, and it was banded. But the next time you're gonna get in the middle of an argument, READ THE POSTS. It'll make you sound just a tad less idiotic.



What's funny, is my guess is that it was directed at me, not you Ramblin' Man, but the same holds true. I never once said that he associated having bands as being a better hunter, but that asking people how many bands they have and being frustrated about not killing one is pointless. For someone that was so quick to call either one of us out for putting words in his mouth, he sure seemed eager to put words in ours. The fact is, whether he associates bands with skill or not, someone who DOES associate bands with skill would be apt to ask the same questions. I would be absolutely fine if this thread was titled something alone the lines of "Tell me the story of how you shot your band", as that is truly all that matters. Especially considering this thread showed up in a youth forum, I think it's important for the youth not to get misguided and start thinking that you haven't accomplished anything if you haven't shot a band. I've killed hundreds (probably getting close to 1,000) ducks and geese in my lifetime, and I hadn't shot a banded goose/duck until this year and I would trade every band in the world for another hunt if it's all I could get.
User avatar
sws002
hunter
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:41 pm

If this was directed at sws002 then I apologize. The way I took it was directed at me. Like I said, I apologize if it's not. I'll just delete my post if it wasn't.

But if it is, then my post still stands.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:34 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:If this was directed at sws002 then I apologize. The way I took it was directed at me. Like I said, I apologize if it's not. I'll just delete my post if it wasn't.

But if it is, then my post still stands.

Haha I would go ahead and delete it now :thumbsup:
Pretty sure it was towards sws002. :lol3:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
User avatar
shootable Goose
hunter
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:46 am
Location: northern colorado

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby MossyMallard12 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:40 am

River Ramblin' Man wrote:
MossyMallard12 wrote:When in the hell did I say that? I said I dont have any yet but I'm trying hard to get one, and my dad has one how many do you have, NEVER DID I SAY "I don't have any yet. :mad: But I'm trying hard because when I do, I'll be a much better hunter." I never said that. And I'm not abscessed with bands I'm just saying i'd just like to shoot one to mount it, and for the fun and sport of waterfowl. (And put food on the table) :thumbsup:


What grade are you in? My guess would be second? You have no idea how hard it is to keep myself from blowing up on you at this point. Please, for the love of God learn to read. I said that you didn't associate bands with hunting experience. I was actually taking up for you.

But I take that back because of your "my dad has a band, how many do you have statement?" BANDS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH EXPERIENCE. So your dad has a snow goose band. I don't freakin' care! That doesn't mean he's a great hunter. For all I know he may have gone out and sky busted a snow, and it was banded. But the next time you're gonna get in the middle of an argument, READ THE POSTS. It'll make you sound just a tad less idiotic.

River Ramblin' Man wrote:Ok, so he's upset he hasn't shot a band? He didn't say:

MossyMallard12 wrote:I don't have any yet. :mad: But I'm trying hard because when I do, I'll be a much better hunter.
I'm a freshman in high-school and sorry for miss reading your comment. Now I feels bad :oops: I didn't mean to piss you off. I apologize.
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am
Location: Hamburg, Iowa

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:32 am

MossyMallard12 wrote:I'm a freshman in high-school and sorry for miss reading your comment. Now I feels bad :oops: I didn't mean to piss you off. I apologize.


Apology accepted. No problems here. I edited your post to prove a point to sws.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Have yet to break the ice. Will just keep throwin' steel at em', hoping someday I will see some bling :biggrin:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby sws002 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:28 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:
MossyMallard12 wrote:I'm a freshman in high-school and sorry for miss reading your comment. Now I feels bad :oops: I didn't mean to piss you off. I apologize.


Apology accepted. No problems here. I edited your post to prove a point to sws.


And that point would be? That you are a flip-flopper and have no idea what your point is? When you thought he was attacking you, you replied and basically said the EXACT same thing I have been saying. Granted, mine may have been a little more lengthy and in-depth, but the overall tone and intent was the same, nearly word for word. Reading comprehension, it's your friend.
User avatar
sws002
hunter
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:48 pm

sws002 wrote:
River Ramblin' Man wrote:
MossyMallard12 wrote:I'm a freshman in high-school and sorry for miss reading your comment. Now I feels bad :oops: I didn't mean to piss you off. I apologize.


Apology accepted. No problems here. I edited your post to prove a point to sws.


And that point would be? That you are a flip-flopper and have no idea what your point is? When you thought he was attacking you, you replied and basically said the EXACT same thing I have been saying. Granted, mine may have been a little more lengthy and in-depth, but the overall tone and intent was the same, nearly word for word. Reading comprehension, it's your friend.


Ok, maybe I can clear this up and be done with this crap.

My original point was that no one associated bands and experience. Which I stated about 5 times.

Then, MM misread my post where I was trying to prove that point. And while trying to defend himself (which was unnecessary seeing as I was never attacking him) he said something along the lines of "my dad has a band. How many do you have?"

By saying that he was pretty much (atleast to me) said that his dad is more experienced than me because he had a band. Maybe I took it the wrong way, maybe I didn't.

At this time the point I tried to make to you about bands = experience is no longer existent. That went out the window when he made the statement about his dad

So I'm sorry that I "flip-flopped." But at first all he said was he wanted a band. Not that it indicated experience. He later on stated that he thinks it does.

Does this clear it up? This has got to be the most pointless argument I have EVER been involved in.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Next

Return to Youth

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest