How many bands you got in your experience?

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:35 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote: This has got to be the most pointless argument I have EVER been involved in.

sig worthy?
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
User avatar
shootable Goose
hunter
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:46 am
Location: northern colorado


Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby sws002 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:39 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:
Does this clear it up? This has got to be the most pointless argument I have EVER been involved in.


That will happen when you try to argue on both sides...
User avatar
sws002
hunter
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:41 pm

shootable Goose wrote:
River Ramblin' Man wrote: This has got to be the most pointless argument I have EVER been involved in.

sig worthy?


Oh I think so! :thumbsup: HAHAHAHA!
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:45 pm

sws002 wrote:
River Ramblin' Man wrote:
Does this clear it up? This has got to be the most pointless argument I have EVER been involved in.


That will happen when you try to argue on both sides...


I'm not trying to argue both sides. First, I thought that you were wrong because he didn't say anything about it being associated with bands. Turns out I was wrong. When he made the statement about his dad's band he proved that you were right.

Yes, I was wrong. Don't get used to it. :lol3:
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby sws002 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:56 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:
I'm not trying to argue both sides. First, I thought that you were wrong because he didn't say anything about it being associated with bands. Turns out I was wrong. When he made the statement about his dad's band he proved that you were right.

Yes, I was wrong. Don't get used to it. :lol3:


Now you're wrong again, I never said he associated having bands with having experience, but that being even the slightest bit concerned with the bands someone else has acquired is pointless and that there is truly no reason to be concerned whether or not you've managed to shoot one yourself either.
User avatar
sws002
hunter
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby johnsonthehunter » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 pm

I personally have only shot one band, a yearling mallard hen banded about a mile from where i shot it and was only banded for a month :lol3: but that dang bird almost got away. I winged and it dove under a bed of eal grass, my dog went for it and she knew right where it was but she couldnt get to it (i didnt know it was banded at this point) so i was upset that i lost a bird. Then a half hour later my dad takes his more experienced dog over and he comes out of the water with a little bling! :thumbsup: Then before i had my dog my dads dog found a crippled double banded brant, really cool and look foward to getting more
All/Ways Outdoors
johnsonthehunter
hunter
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:15 pm
Location: Burlington, Wa

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:18 pm

sws002 wrote:
River Ramblin' Man wrote:
I'm not trying to argue both sides. First, I thought that you were wrong because he didn't say anything about it being associated with bands. Turns out I was wrong. When he made the statement about his dad's band he proved that you were right.

Yes, I was wrong. Don't get used to it. :lol3:


Now you're wrong again, I never said he associated having bands with having experience, but that being even the slightest bit concerned with the bands someone else has acquired is pointless and that there is truly no reason to be concerned whether or not you've managed to shoot one yourself either.


Twice in one week? Dang… Ok, I personally don't think that asking how many bands someone has is wrong. I DO think that saying "my dad has a band, how many do you have?" is wrong when used in an argument. I don't think that me asking some people how many bands they have will lead me down a road that ends with me popping park geese in the head with a pellet gun for some bling. Now, I understand where you're coming from that if it becomes a race to see who can kill the most bands, it'll lead to nothing but bad things. But I don't think that's how MM meant it. That's MY opinion. If your opinion is that asking how many bands someone has is unnecessary, wrong, or none of their business, that's fine. You're by all means entitled to your own opinion.

Other than padding our post count, I honestly don't see what was accomplished in this argument. I'm begging you to just let it be. I understand your opinion on the subject, hopefully you understand mine and we can just let it be.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby sws002 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Good, I'm glad you understand my opinion, as that is all that it really became about. Reading comprehension lead to people believing I said stuff that I never did. Honestly, if you truly did believe that bands make you a better hunter, nothing I can ever say will help you, because you are too stupid to fix. I don't necessarily believe that it will lead to a full blown Foiles' type obsession either, I just don't like seeing kids think that it is an important aspect in waterfowl hunting. I'll be perfectly honest, I didn't even know what a band WAS until 3 years ago when I started hunting in Michigan and people talked about them, and I had killed hundreds of ducks and geese before hand. The arguments only ensued when people assumed a bunch of stuff because I told them it was pointless to ask how many bands a complete stranger had. Keep hunting boys, and let the bands fall where they may!
User avatar
sws002
hunter
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:32 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:Ok, maybe I can clear this up and be done with this crap.

My original point was that no one associated bands and experience. Which I stated about 5 times.

Then, MM misread my post where I was trying to prove that point. And while trying to defend himself (which was unnecessary seeing as I was never attacking him) he said something along the lines of "my dad has a band. How many do you have?"

By saying that he was pretty much (atleast to me) said that his dad is more experienced than me because he had a band. Maybe I took it the wrong way, maybe I didn't.

At this time the point I tried to make to you about bands = experience is no longer existent. That went out the window when he made the statement about his dad

So I'm sorry that I "flip-flopped." But at first all he said was he wanted a band. Not that it indicated experience. He later on stated that he thinks it does.

Does this clear it up? This has got to be the most pointless argument I have EVER been involved in.


Are you 15 or 16? I'm going with 12.
User avatar
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter
 
Posts: 5387
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: Southern Wisconsin

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:48 pm

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:Are you 15 or 16? I'm going with 12.


I'm 6 actually. I started first grade in August.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
User avatar
River Ramblin' Man
hunter
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: Coweta, Oklahoma

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:39 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:Are you 15 or 16? I'm going with 12.


I'm 6 actually. I started first grade in August.

:lol3: :beer:
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
User avatar
NuffDaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Bay City, MI

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby MossyMallard12 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:54 am

Okay I'm done with this crap alls I wanted is to see some people's bands or hear some stories not a big argument. We gone bye-bye! :lol3:
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am
Location: Hamburg, Iowa

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby ducks385 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 pm

i have one band in to years i got lucky my dad gave me the bird because we shot at same time before he knew it was banded. i most likely got it though because i am a pretty good shot. :smile:
If it flies it dies,If it hops it drops
User avatar
ducks385
hunter
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 pm
Location: Plover,Wisconsin central wisconsin

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby jack lowe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:22 pm

i agree that shooting bands is just luck but its also purty cool to shoot one and i have been fortunate to be able to have been able to go duck and bird hunting since i was really little and i have only killed one band and it was not a duck it was a dove. that dove was not even a year old and it had came all the way from new york and i live in alabama lol i keep the band on my key chain now.
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:59 pm
Location: Cullman, Alabama

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:00 pm

2 bands both off drake mallards.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
User avatar
The Duck Hammer
hunter
 
Posts: 3706
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am
Location: NW Arkansas

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby ebitzan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:58 am

I have got two banded mallerds, and three banded Canada's one had a neck collar
You ain't gonna hit nothin unless you got steel in the air
"If it runs on water, It DIES!" ~ Tool-Man
Coot shooting pro-staff
Mallerd killing pro-staff
Kazoo blowing pro-staff
Skybusting pro-staff
Barrel sticker pro-staff
ebitzan
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks
 
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:54 pm
Location: Middle of NO-WHERE (stevens county)

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby dj youth duckhunter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:03 pm

i have 2 one mallard one honker both from this season!
Dustin~

Image
User avatar
dj youth duckhunter
hunter
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:35 pm
Location: Placerville

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby aceshooter31 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:15 pm

this past youth hunt i shot my first and only band, it was pretty cool, i was calling at a pair of mallards(this is my first season that i really got good at calling) also i am pretty sure it is the first time i really called a mallard feet down, in the decoys. i live in central california and unfortunatley dont get many oppurtunities at mallards. but anyways they made 1 pass and then locked up, i shot my first shot at 15-20 yrds and dumped the drake, i figured what the heck and also shot the hen at 30 yards also folded her up. my dad went out and kindly got my birds for me after giving me a hi 5 congragalating me on the calling and shooting, when he was walking in i asked if any were banded, he looked down and said nope, when he walked back in the blind i examined my ducks and found a band on the hen! it was a very cool expierience. the bird was banded in nelson california on august 25, 2011. band #1927-59838 :hammer: :grooving:
User avatar
aceshooter31
hunter
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby m3500 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:17 pm

The number of bands one shoots in his/her life doesn't account for how good of a waterfowl hunter they are.
But one can't argue that shooting a banded bird then finding out that its 7 yrs old isn't rewording. (I used 7 because I shot a drake mallard that was 7 years old) I'm Not bragging or saying how good of hunter iam in anyway but it is cool to see how old the bird is and see where it was banded. That put a side just enjoy your hunting experiences and getting a band on one or two of them helps you enjoy it and remember it alittle more. But like I said and many others have said already the AMOUNT of bands does not does not = the skill of the hunter but to think you called in and fooled a maybe old bird is really cool. Enough said.
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:23 pm
Location: Central, PA

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby Mike657 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:14 pm

The second goose I shot was banded.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:39 am

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby DucksDie01 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:39 pm

I've never shot a banded duck but on the east side of banks lake on the release site I shot three big dumb rosters that my dad kicked up so they would fly.
Attachments
Ben's phone 9 053.jpg
User avatar
DucksDie01
Newb
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:28 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby bellison4 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:44 pm

1 double banded drake mallard with a 50 dollar rewardImage
User avatar
bellison4
hunter
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:54 am

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:50 am

8 bands. 6 geese and 2 mallards one mallard is a minor band.


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
User avatar
Nelliboy2
hunter
 
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Brink of hell

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby QuackWhacker65 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:17 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:8 bands. 6 geese and 2 mallards one mallard is a minor band.


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Attachments
1780868_698858190202679_1076247870_n.png
1780868_698858190202679_1076247870_n.png (181.64 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
QuackWhacker65
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: How many bands you got in your experience?

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue May 27, 2014 11:08 am

shootable Goose wrote: It's all about where a banding location is in relation to your huntig spot. Good luck :thumbsup:


I don't usually post in this forum, but I saw the title of this thread and decided to read it. I've been at this game since 1967, with a few years off for military service and working heavy overtime when the family was younger. Nevertheless, in all those years, I've shot one, ONE banded goose. And that one was banded not three miles from the spot I shot it! I just don't see the excitement in it. Sure, it's cool to find out a bit about where the bird came from, but, it's really kind of like a lottery. Pure luck! Still, shootable Goose makes a good point. One that is echoed in a recent article in one of the waterfowl magazines. Apparently, the USFWS is concerned about the data it derives from band reports. Apparently, a lot go unreported. In my opinion, that's just plain stupid. Why would you not help to ensure the future of the sport? That's really what banding is all about. Studying the movement of the birds so that the data can be used to ensure adequate populations.

Another big concern was something I never thought about. Apparently, there are those that somehow find out about banding sites and target those areas specifically. Many of these bands do not get reported. This skews the data. And the ones that do get reported, skew the data as well.

Each and every bird you kill is a trophy unto itself. Some may stand out in your mind. A particularly difficult shot that was well executed. A rare species for your particular area. An impressive retrieve. But, all are trophies in their own rite. I am always amazed by and admire each and every bird I kill. After all, you never really know which will be your last.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2945
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

PreviousNext

Return to Youth

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest