life jackets

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

life jackets

Postby Bull Island Boy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Was just wondering how many of yall wear life jackets while hunting
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Re: life jackets

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:59 pm

to and from the spot when im on rough open water but but i take it off when i get the gun out. Dont wear one in the marshes or flooded fields.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby wrestleduck » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:35 pm

I do the same as Nuffdaddy
wrestleduck
hunter

Postby Bull Island Boy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:52 pm

i usaly wear one when going to and from and when picking up and seting out decoys but not when shooting or hunting
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:43 pm

nope, we just keep them in the boat.

I've never seen a need to wear one while setting decoys.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Bull Island Boy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:42 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:nope, we just keep them in the boat.

I've never seen a need to wear one while setting decoys.

if you were by yourself you could fall out of the boat and hit your head then you would be unconsious and then you would have the chance of drowning.but if you wear a life jacket you will lay in the water with your head up and out of the watter...i wear the type that inflate when you fall in and get wet.so they arnt bulkey.
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:11 pm

I've hunted water by my self once in the past 2 seasons....... so i think my chances are pretty slim, and most all places I hunt are 3ft or less for water depth unless crossing the distribution channel.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:26 pm

Bull Island Boy wrote:if you were by yourself you could fall out of the boat and hit your head then you would be unconsious and then you would have the chance of drowning.but if you wear a life jacket you will lay in the water with your head up and out of the watter.

If its my time, its my time.

Don't know where Bull Island is but were I hunt if you fall in the water unconcious, life jacket or no LF your core temperature is going to drop too quickly for it to make a difference. If you fall in you need to get out, dry, and to a warm place sharpish.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:55 am

I never wore one my entire life until this year when I had my son...
Sure enough, I had a close call, dark, alone, 3 foot swell, 30kts, snow and sleet...
And I buried the bow, it caught off to the right and lurched. When I went to correct my legs, I twisted the throttle which goosed it more around.
Really scarey....
I have a really comfy XXL vest that fits nicely over everything, whistle etc....
I'd never leave without it, and pity those who do
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Bull Island Boy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:55 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:I've hunted water by my self once in the past 2 seasons....... so i think my chances are pretty slim, and most all places I hunt are 3ft or less for water depth unless crossing the distribution channel.

2 duck seasons ago a hunter drowned in a creek off of the poquoson river in virigina.the water in that creek where they were hunting was shallow enough to stand up in and walk to shore.just beacuse the water is shalow doesent mean you will have no chance of drowning
BULL ISLAND HUNT CLUB
Bull Island Boy
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:13 am

You are just crazy not to.
Look at poor Whitney, drowning in a bathtub!

At least if you fall down in that knee deep water and hit your head, they will find your body and all of your friends can laugh at you at the funeral!

Wear it dummy
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:22 pm

Besides being a waterfowler, I teach canoeing and lead trips. Not wearing a PFD is not an option for any staff or participant. Every year, experienced paddlers as well as waterfowlers drown while not wearing them. One of the drills we conduct during canoe clinics is having participants try to put their PFD on while in the water, which is during summer temperatures, not the extreme conditions waterfowlers experience. That quickly teaches them that PFDs are best worn, not carried in the boat. It should go without saying that while hunting in shallow waters there is less of a danger, and your best judgment should be used. Nothing offers a 100% guarantee you will not die. All you can do is lessen the odds.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:12 pm

I used to just carry the PFD in the boat with me until one day...my feet slipped off the edge of my boat and with a quickness I was just hanging there on the side of my boat. I managed to haul myself over the side but it scared me badly enough to get me to think.
I thought if I had not been able to grab the edge of my boat I might have drowned.

From that moment on..I always WEAR my PFD while in the boat until it's on the shore and I have my blind set-up. From the time I launch to where I'm hunting. Then reverse. I know that if something goes wrong they will at least be able to find my body and that alone is worth the trouble. I can imagine my poor wife and kids suffering through denial while they are searching for a body. heck the thing might even save my life...

I hunt alone a lot and it looks silly parking a truck with a life-jacket on but I wear it from when I unhook the boat from the trailer, park the truck, and keep it on until I'm shutting the motor off on the boat. Reverse when I'm leaving.

You owe it to your family and friends to at least wear the PFD.

Acorn
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Return to Youth