what is the best call

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

what is the best call

Postby jack lowe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:48 pm

my name is jack and im 16, i have been duck hunting for about 6 years and i have good calls and they get the job done but im looking to get a really nice looking and even better sounding what should i get ?
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Re: what is the best call

Postby stickross » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Hey man im 16 too, from up north, Minnesota. What type: duck or goose? For a duck call, I'm going to have to say a high $$ RNT call.. Double Reed wood calls will give you more realistic sounds, but they will be quieter and harder to do the feeding call on.
Goose calls: I took 3rd place in a contest last weekend and a guy was blowing a Tim Grounds Triple Thang with broke-in guts.. It sounded great. It's quiet spendy though, so it cost is an issue, look at something like Foiles "The Market Hunter" or "Showtime"(what I took 3rd place with). Hope this helped you out
stickross
Newb

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Your best bet it to go to a store that carries higher-end calls like RNT, Echo, Zink, and Foiles. Try them out and see which one(s) you like. You will get tons of different answers on here about the "best call out there". I don't really agree with the post above on the whole "harder to do a feed call on a double reed" thing. Double reeds will generally have more rasp...

Double reeds and single reeds will be about the same on doing a feed call. A single reed, however, will have more ducks in it.
Hope this helps a little bit. Let me know if you need any help :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:00 pm

thanks yal an by the the i hunt timber and slews and sum feilds for mallards and watever else decides to land in the decoys thanks alot and i am leaning towards a single reed
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:27 am

I would just lean towards a single reed Open Water call.....they are very versatile calls and should be all you need :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby CallnFallBoy1750 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:28 pm

I use hobo duck calls. The creator of zink calls also makes these. I use the ICU2 Hobo Duck Call. Its a really good call. It gets really low and really high. Makes really good whines and quacks. U really sound like a duck with this call. I won a junior duck callling competition with that call too. Its a great call. Echo and zink also make good calls jst like that too
CallnFallBoy1750
Newb

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:04 pm

CallnFallBoy1750 wrote:I use hobo duck calls. The creator of zink calls also makes these. I use the ICU2 Hobo Duck Call. Its a really good call. It gets really low and really high. Makes really good whines and quacks. U really sound like a duck with this call. I won a junior duck callling competition with that call too. Its a great call. Echo and zink also make good calls jst like that too

Are you saying Zink CNC's Kent's calls?
mayhem96
hunter

Postby mudflatthunter93 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:46 pm

My best call is a personal made call by a local maker. His calls are named second creek calls and are based in Salisbury, NC. Personally, they are the best calls I have ever blown
2012-2013 season

bw-teal- 17
gw-teal- 22
mallards- 25
shoveler- 6
wood duck- 30
gadwall- 4
pintail-1
mudflatthunter93
hunter

Postby BirdBoy501 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Duck Commander is my Personal Favirote

http://store.duckcommander.com/p-430-ca ... tural.aspx

Really Cool Looking and Sounds Amazing

http://store.duckcommander.com/p-423-ca ... rylic.aspx
Wack and Stack em
BirdBoy501
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:34 pm

This is realy a question about personal preference. Guys will swear up and down that their call is the best and cuss out another call maker. Classic example is RNT vs. Echo. Go to your local sporting goods store and try all of them out. :thumbsup:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:35 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:This is realy a question about personal preference. Guys will swear up and down that their call is the best and cuss out another call maker. Classic example is RNT vs. Echo. Go to your local sporting goods store and try all of them out. :thumbsup:

so true... weather its trucks, guns, calls, camo, ammo, decoys 85% of it is personal preference.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby timmer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:45 am

im 18 ive been hunting since i was 7 i live in michigan lynch mob is a brand made in michigan go to there website you can hear the call the have "jezebel" shes nice and it sound perfect it pricey 129$ but if you want to go cheap i would say duck commander triple threat three reed system sound great cant go wrong for the price
timmer
hunter

Postby labtrainerJr » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Personaly I think that a wooden Faulks duck world champion is the best. I haven't heard a duck call sound even close to this call :thumbsup:
"You got'em Pilgrim....You Nailed 'em Clean", Grizz from Jeremiah Johnson.
labtrainerJr
hunter

Return to Youth