ok i need a honker!!!!!!!!!!!

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

ok i need a honker!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby hnterjon24 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:50 pm

i need somewhere to shoot my first honker
does any one have any good places....
anything will help????
hnterjon24
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:45 pm

I couldn't tell you specifically for Cali, but I can tell you to "scout, scout, scout". Start looking soon as to where the geese are. Fields or ponds? Maybe someone from cali can put you on or near the "X" but you've got to be willing to do some legwork for the birds.

Best of luck to you, and :welcome: to DHC!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby t-ville » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:44 pm

head to your nearest golfcourse, neighborhood pond, etc. dont take a gun...maybe a big stick. of course im just kidding but in our area thats where about 90% of them end up.
t-ville
hunter

Postby Yeller Dog » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:13 pm

i caught one at the local park with a fishing lure one time :tounge: Man you talk about people staring at me.
Luke Jordan
Yeller Dog
hunter

well

Postby bochmann1 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:16 pm

well i got all of my honkers this year on the delta like stokton area
Custom made calls at bochmannscustomcalls.com
bochmann1
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:18 pm

the sky's a great place to start. :biggrin:
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby dog » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:52 pm

Your from Sacramento right, well look around you!! There are rice feilds and refuges covered in honkers!! I love it!! :rofl: :eek:
:skeet:
dog
hunter

canada geese

Postby goose hunter » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:07 pm

Geese are much more reluctant to land on the ground for you as apposed to ducks which would preffer water over land most of the time. anyways, the thing to do is find a lake,pond,wetland,etc.. that geese are using checking back frequently and even surveying a little bit. If they seem to use it 3-5 times a week chances are it's not heavily hunted and will be an excellent chance to get your first honker! in the morning they will take off to do whatever it is they do so you need to look for roughly what time they leave and what direction they head in. or if morning doesn't work for you figure out roughly what time and what direction the geese come into the pond, lake, etc. setup 2 hours before (depending on how big your spread is) and use a lot of feeders!!! and a flag to grab their attention. Once you have them coming your way you should have your first honker. Just remember not to overshoot an area,and be CAMOFLAUGED. But the rest of them are right. you MUST scout. That is one of the biggest keys in hunting that makes a hunter shoot at 2 birds or 100+ birds a day.
Coyotes-32
Gray fox- 17
Red Fox-15
Ringtail-3
Kit Fox-25
Bobcat-23
Mt. Lion-2 (Season Limit)
goose hunter
hunter

Return to Youth