can you guys help me out

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

can you guys help me out

Postby rubber ducky » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:30 pm

i have been havin some trouble nokin down ducks. it would be really cool i somone could help me out by just givin me some tips that would be awsome.
my duck feells heavier with steel
rubber ducky
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:11 pm

practice practice practice..........thats what it takes....go shoot some skeet or trap and stay with it.

:salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:01 am

:withstupid: it just takes time i'm in my 3rd year of hunting and i'm definatley knocking down more ducks than i did my first year...which i only got one drake gadwall...my second year i got 31...and this year i'm shooting even higher
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:46 am

Just keep on like i've been telling you, pick a bird, focus, lead and bang, then splash, your getting better every trip, by the end of the season, you should be knocking them dead. Be the duck, nananananananananana
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 am

Dont think about your shots it should come naturally. Choose a duck swing the gun lead it and shoot.

Youll get it.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby cut_un » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:17 am

Are you shooting them in the beaks??? You may be shooting behind them!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:36 pm

What type of choke and how far are the shots? If you are shooting a IC and trying to make 40 yd. shots that is why.
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby talented wiggom » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:38 pm

continue to follow through and learn to shoot with both eyes open it really helps
06/07 totals
Ducks: 22
Geese:27
talented wiggom
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:48 pm

woodduckhunter wrote:What type of choke and how far are the shots? If you are shooting a IC and trying to make 40 yd. shots that is why.

Could be an IC for lead and IM or Mod. with steel shot......steel always patterns tighter and I have seen a IC choke throw very tight patterns, all depends on the shell/choke combination.....all guns pattern differently.

>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Wooderson » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:51 pm

Best thing i can think of is to practice as much as you can. Try not to think about it too much or try to focus too much on direct aiming but get near or around the bird then pull the shot off
Wooderson
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:23 pm

You should never "aim" a shotgun.....if the gun has a proper fit, it should point where you look. It amazes me when I see people aiming their shotgun like a rifle when the are patterning it.......does absolutely no good. If the gun doesn't shoot where you look, the gun doesn't fit. I understand that some shotguns shoot high and some shoot strait, most of your trap guns will shoot a touch higher.
Proper patterning can reveal so much about a hunter and his shotgun......highly suggested. :thumbsup:

>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby mx3209212 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:55 pm

Butt Beak Bang. aim directly infront of the bird, and exhale before you shoot.
mx3209212
hunter

Postby littlesturgeon » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:14 pm

Leading is key to duck hunting :salude:
littlesturgeon
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:30 pm

littlesturgeon wrote:Leading is key to duck hunting :salude:

More experienced wingshooters tend to lead ducks too much. I don't "see" a lead, but I would imagine that inside of 30 yards, I shoot about their beak and 30-40, I might be about a half a foot or so in front of em.
I got a buddy that spot shoots ducks, he will pick a spot where the bird is going to be and shoots their......don't know how he does it but he is consistent. :thumbsup:

>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Grizzly71 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:54 pm

I kept missing in the begining of the year but later i learned to lead at least 2-3 inches infront of the beak May only be 2nd year duck/goose hunting but thats the first thing i learned this year besides calling

mallard 1

canadian hoonker 1

misses 321465
OOOOOOOOOO MAN this is gonna suck!!!! God love it
Grizzly71
hunter

Postby Hawk » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:50 am

Rubber Ducky.

have you pattern your shotgun? Could be your pulling and not squeezing the trigger. When you yank on the trigger your anticipating the shot/ recoil of the gun. This tends to inconsistency either high or left right or behind. Control your breathing and follow through. By all means go and shoot some clay pigeons, in other words practice. :thumbsup: Hawk
Butt- Belly- Beak- Boom
Hawk
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:37 pm

Hawk,
You should pull the trigger on a shotgun.......sqeeeeeeeze on a rifle. Breathing is not a factor in shotgunning, however, flenching is.....have you ever pulled up on a duck or seen somone at a shooting range when they go to pull the trigger and they either have a dud or they forgot to take the safety off, 9 times outta 10, the flench. The only way to get good is to practice, practice and practice some more, spend some time at the range and you will start to get your form and lead down, might get you some instructional videos and shotgunning books and read up.

Check this site out as well: http://www.shotgunworld.com

>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby Forstner » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:34 pm

get a bigger shot:D:D:D lol jk man!! like everyone above me said! PRACTICE! ill go out the week before opener is and go and shoot pigeons with steel shot so i get used to the pattern and everything!! i almost always miss the first duck i shoot at while hunting, but i just adjust and ill prolly get it on the 2nd shot or just get the next bird!.....maybe is different for you but just practice and find ur style of shooting! not eveyone has the same tricks or style of shooting! just practice. later
Forstner
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:09 am

i don't use clay pigeons, they only go one direction at a consistent speed, i use quail and chukar season as my practice, doves will work too, by the time duck season opens, i am well tuned and it starts raining ducks.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:31 am

My first year of duck hunting, it took about 3 boxes of shells to get a limit. The second, it took 2. One of my hunts in the 3rd season, it took only 13 shells for 6 ducks. Right now I average about 15 shells when I limit out. It takes a few years with not much practice, but if you shoot clay pigeons a lot or even a one time a month before a hunt it will greatly improve your shooting. :thumbsup:
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Youth