whats the big deal

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

whats the big deal

Postby duck huntin mamou » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:44 pm

Personally I dont see whats so bad about sky busting and/or shooting hens. If they didn't want us shooting hens there would be a law preventing it.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:48 pm

I do not see much wrong with shooting hens, except that they are the most important of the pair of ducks in raising more ducks. Sky blasting does nothing but cripple ducks for the coons to catch. It is not a good idea. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:18 pm

It truly comes down to ethics. Skybusting often results in crippled birds.. Often, skybusting is done out of exasperation...either not letting the birds get within range, commit to your spread etc. Changing ones spread and patience may, for some people eliminate the belief that the hunter must take long shots. Shot pattern density, is not as effective at 50-60+ yards as it is at <40 yards.
Shooting hens is yet another ethical dilema. Everybody has a mama. You wouldn't be here without her. Ducks are no different. If we get rid of a lot of mamas or hens we decrease the chances for succes in reproduction.
You may see shooting a hen or wounding a bird as just a "drop in the bucket", that is has no long-lasting effect. However, if everyone were to have you views waterfowl hunting would be in even greater peril.

I hope you will reconsider your views. :oops:
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:51 pm

i kind of see what youre saying about hens, but as for as skybusting goes you cripple just as many ducks when ever theyre in range. now i know that there are people who wont go and get cripples if they are far. Around here if you knock down a duck you go and find it.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:59 pm

I'd like to pose yet another argument against sky busting - The mark of a skilled hunter is the ability to trick or coax the ducks into range through decoying, calling and yes, even patience. Technology has made it possible to shoot at ducks from long distance - just because you can, however, doesn't mean you should.
It is an arrogant stance to take, that skybusting is not a bad thing. People who do this give the impression that maybe they aren't that skilled of a hunter.
We are all ambassadors of our sport, and in this day and age where our rights are being threatened and our numbers diminishing, we owe it to the community of hunters everywhere to be as ethical as we can be. As far as the claim that you cripple as many ducks in close range, well that comes down to practice - the more shots one practices, the more likely they are to make them. Even a couple afternoons of sporting clays can make us better at the close shots.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby woodduckhunter » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:32 pm

duck huntin mamou wrote:i kind of see what youre saying about hens, but as for as skybusting goes you cripple just as many ducks when ever theyre in range. now i know that there are people who wont go and get cripples if they are far. Around here if you knock down a duck you go and find it.

You are absolutely wrong. If you crip more ducks at 25 yds. than you kill, you need to spend a lot of time at the sporting clay range. As everyone, including myself said above, skybusting does more harm than good. :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:52 pm

how about this everybody just forgets this was ever said and we all just do what we've been doing.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:03 pm

Sounds great, just giving my opinion. :thumbsup:
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:34 pm

I likie opinions but i hate conflicts
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:50 pm

Maybe this is an unfair assumption, and please correct me if I am wrong, but I figure you are young, no? I think there is nothing wrong with you asking questions and your post, in my mind, asked the question of "what's the big deal?" I can only speak for myself in saying that my goal was to answer your question.
I encourage you to continue to ask questions - to learn what you can. There is a lot of experience when it comes to the people on DHC, and that's why we're all here - to learn and share what we know.
Sometimes people get passionate about an issue and it comes off as conflict. I hope that you have been presented some new ideas with regards to skybusting and shooting hens. How you choose to hunt is ultimately your choice, but the more ethically and responsibly you hunt, the more you protect that resource.
Thank you for sharing,
Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby woodduckhunter » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:54 pm

Kiskadinna wrote:Maybe this is an unfair assumption, and please correct me if I am wrong, but I figure you are young, no? I think there is nothing wrong with you asking questions and your post, in my mind, asked the question of "what's the big deal?" I can only speak for myself in saying that my goal was to answer your question.
I encourage you to continue to ask questions - to learn what you can. There is a lot of experience when it comes to the people on DHC, and that's why we're all here - to learn and share what we know.
Sometimes people get passionate about an issue and it comes off as conflict. I hope that you have been presented some new ideas with regards to skybusting and shooting hens. How you choose to hunt is ultimately your choice, but the more ethically and responsibly you hunt, the more you protect that resource.
Thank you for sharing,
Erik

nicely said there! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:14 pm

Thank you
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby killer0009 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:39 pm

I am all about not shooting hens if i have the chance to take a nice greenhead or drake but if that is all that you shoot then the hens will get over populated and there will be more of a chance of hybridinization( if thats a word). I just think shoot what ever comes in and hope you get a drake and dont tell people that do shoot hens every now and then that they are bad hunters.
killer0009
hunter

Postby MissedAgain » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:35 pm

I've been seriously hunting for about 20 years now - started going more once I got my driver's license. When I started, I would blast away at anything that looked remotely hit-able.

My days were spent around 50 or 75 empty hulls and maybe a duck or two on the water. I was basically sky-busting and having a ball. All my bad habits were reinforced when a duck would fall.

When I was in college I hooked-up with an older guy who needed a hunting partner. He taught me how to duck and goose hunt. Things like figuring out the flyways, letting that long shot go in favor of the bird swinging around and coming into the decoys - most of the time they did!, and how to determine where to set-up based on the premise that the birds feel safer flying over water. There were other things but these impressed me.

Now I hunt with a box of shells and it may last me two hunts. I don't always get a limit but I really like to watch the ducks come over the decoys and fall when the gun goes off. There are less cripples and my shooting is that much better.

As for shooting hens, if I had the choice, I would shoot drakes but we have to take what the Lord provides on any given day. In FL, we shoot mainly teal, ringers, and scaup - not many mallards.

It is all a process that we all go through. Some guys have mentors who show them the ropes and other guys either figure it out on their own or "die trying". My dad is one who hasn't figured out how to duck hunt - he loves it to death but he just can't understand why I do the decoys like I do, or why I set up in certain areas when he'd rather be tucked up in a secluded little cove with no birds....

Some guys embrace help and advice, other guys tell you to get lost. Our local refuge has just adopted a 25 shell possession limit due to the large number of sky busters. Hopefully it works.

IMHO - With the cost of ammo, a duck that takes more than 2 or 3 shots to kill is very expensive.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:46 pm

I couldn't have said it better myself! We take enjoyment from what we put in. our knowledge of our quarry is paramount to our success.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby littlesturgeon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:25 pm

I make it a habit of shooting drakes but here in wisconsin your allowed only one hen and you really have to be carefull of your target. Drakes are preatty then hens
littlesturgeon
hunter

Postby whacknstack20 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:08 am

Alot of the places I hunt have a 15 shell limit. This teaches you not to skybust very quickly. We have a 7 bird limit so If you shoot around 50% you might not get your limit. Letting the birds work is alot more rewarding then trying to shoot them on the first pass. When you have closer shots you can pick out drakes much better. I like shooting drakes because they look much better in pictures. Not to mention drakes cant reproduce by themselves and will mate with as many hens as possible. Its your choice keep hunting and maybe your views will change. Be respectful of other hunters in the area.
whacknstack20
hunter

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:50 pm

I Personally try NOT to shoot hens but the occasional one gets dropped like firing 4 shots into a group of 200 and getting 3 hens :mad: ...but skybusting is another story if your shooting so far away that its crippling the ducks then you shouldn't be shooting at them...more cripples means more birds lost and more birds lost means less birds for you next time and less birds for the next hunter...I pass up all the hens i can because the hen i dont shoot can produce a few more drakes the next year
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:37 am

I under stand but where we almost never see alot of the big ducks (mallards and pintail) and normally when we are hunting we have some young boys with us. So when we get a chance we shoot to kill mostly to show those little boys the difference and to eat. Where we are we dont get to kill much of anything most of the time because there is so much other areas for the ducks to be when they are not where we are at so when we do get the chance to kil a limit and have a good time we do it.
Because if you in mamou you gotta have a good time! :lol: :thumbsup:
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

hey

Postby bochmann1 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:44 pm

i would rather not shoot a hen when there is a drake with her

i dont think anybody should be sky bustin it is a waste of shells and like they said it often cripples the birds and most of the time people just miss and scare the birds from other hunters near by
Custom made calls at bochmannscustomcalls.com
bochmann1
hunter

Return to Youth