new member, looking for tips for a new duck hunter

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

new member, looking for tips for a new duck hunter

Postby snyper007 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:17 pm

hi my name is josh i live in illinois and am just starting to get into duck hunting which has always been in my interest. i have a year old lab right now that is ready to go, but dont know where to start. i know there are different calls out there and different calls to make with them, and all kinds of decoy setups but know know whats what. I have been pheasant hunting now for the last few years and really enjoy it, but i now want to get into duck hunting but dont know where to start any ideas for a beginner?? thanks
snyper007
Newb

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:25 pm

Welcome to DHC Josh! You'll find a lot of your answers throughout DHC in the various forums.

I am no expert on dogs -not having one of my own- but my understanding is; first you'll have to find out if your dog has the desire to fetch for you. I this is the case, training as often as possible will be important to improving his skills amd how well you two work together.

It sounds as if you're alright with the calls, but practice makes perfect. As with the decoys spreads and the calling you'll find experimentation necessary as well. Soon enough you'll find out what works best for you and the areas you hunt.

A good step will be finding someone to take you hunting if you are not old enough to go alone. With a mentor and a spot picked out, all you really need is your gun, yourself, some camo and some decoys. Used decoys, or new is your all your choice.

Your local DNR should be of good help: http://dnr.state.il.us/

Hope we can be of help to you, keep the questions coming! :welcome:
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Johnsons Tackle and Guide » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:13 pm

:welcome:
Im a new member on here also but it seams like there is a great group of guys on here!
*Johnsons Tackle and Guide Service*
Over 30 years experiance in Tahoe
Johnsons Tackle and Guide
Account Suspended for brand name useage

hey

Postby bochmann1 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:01 pm

welcome josh. my name is ryan and i live in california. i dont know if a mojo duck is legal in illinois but if so i would invest in one of those. green head gear decoys are cheap and they work well. a good beginner call is an echo they are easy to blow and i would also buy a good whistle. just practice calling and find some spots and keep training your dog as much as possible.
Custom made calls at bochmannscustomcalls.com
bochmann1
hunter

Return to Youth