hOW MANY DUCKS DO YOU AVERAGE PER SEASON?

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

hOW MANY DUCKS DO YOU AVERAGE PER SEASON?

Postby bochmann1 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:01 pm

I WAS JUST WANDERING HOW MANY DUCKS YOU GUYS GET EACH SEASON. I USUALLY GET AROUND 30 OR SO
Custom made calls at bochmannscustomcalls.com
bochmann1
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:19 pm

on a bad year (last year) i average only 25 but on a good year it can range from 40-60. it would probably be much better if i was able to hunt on sundays. but livign in the bible belt and working 40 hours a week only lets me hunt on saturdays and holidays.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducks4Coach » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:40 pm

Since I do not strictly hunt ducks, I shoot about 25-30 ducks in the season. I also bow hunt during the duck season and usually split my time.
-Coach

Going for 50!
Ducks4Coach
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:44 pm

I have only been seriously duck hunting(no deer hunting in between) for 3 seasons now. My totals for those were(in order) 138, 174, 122. But, I get around 30-40 hunts in per year.
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby ksgooser » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:00 pm

the past couple of years it has been zero :thumbsdown: But average about 25 geese. hopefully things will change this year since we are gettin all geared up.
Cale Renollet
ksgooser
hunter

Postby waterfowler89 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:29 pm

i average probly alot more than i should
"If it flies it dies... and if it dont fly it still dies" - Phil Robertson, the duck commander
waterfowler89
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:24 pm

waterfowler89 wrote:i average probly alot more than i should

sounds like you get some lucky shots, well who doesn't from time to time!

I see you are fairly new, so welcome aboard to DHC if I hadn't mentioned it already!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby dog » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:48 pm

About 50-100 duck depending on the location and the year
Geese, at least 5, sometimes more
Dove around 20-30
Coot (really good for practice shooting ducks) around 10 depending on how many my dad lets me.
:skeet:
dog
hunter

Postby minnesotaman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:39 pm

154 last year
minnesotaman
hunter

Postby spooniespiller14 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:47 pm

Yeah Im going up in my numbers every year first season was about 35 then 40 up up and last season 67. :thumbsup:
spooniespiller14
hunter

Postby goose hunter » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:05 pm

I have a question on this. when the division of wildlife for instance says your daily bag limit is 3 geese and your posession limit is 6. doesn't that mean that you can only take 6 birds throughout the season? If I'm not straight on this please let me know because that's the way I've been hunting...? thanks guys!
Coyotes-32
Gray fox- 17
Red Fox-15
Ringtail-3
Kit Fox-25
Bobcat-23
Mt. Lion-2 (Season Limit)
goose hunter
hunter

Postby txmarshmaster » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:14 pm

No that is wrong.. limit is 3.. 6 in aggregate / posession.. per hunting trip.
Cade Woodall
COVE, TEXAS

-------------------------------------------------------
Tracker Grizzly 1648 Blind Duck Ed. 2004 Johnson 40hp JetDrive

Alumacraft 1436 Completely Decked w/23hp Go-Devil LT
txmarshmaster
hunter

Postby littlesturgeon » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:26 pm

between 170-210
littlesturgeon
hunter

Postby rseidel07 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:42 pm

anywhere from 120-150 over the last 4 years
rseidel07
Newb

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:58 am

goose hunter wrote:I have a question on this. when the division of wildlife for instance says your daily bag limit is 3 geese and your posession limit is 6. doesn't that mean that you can only take 6 birds throughout the season? If I'm not straight on this please let me know because that's the way I've been hunting...? thanks guys!

Not at all. The 6 is what you can have in possession. Just say you go out for the weekend and kill your three birds camp that night and kill three the next morning now you have six in possession.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:24 pm

going on about 60-70 depending on locations i hunt, and how much i don't deer hunt during duck season
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby Duckhunter16 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:02 pm

goose hunter wrote:I have a question on this. when the division of wildlife for instance says your daily bag limit is 3 geese and your posession limit is 6. doesn't that mean that you can only take 6 birds throughout the season? If I'm not straight on this please let me know because that's the way I've been hunting...? thanks guys!

Also lets say the Game Warden comes to your house you better only have 6 of your geese in your frezzer.

And I really dont know how many if i ever get time to hunt I think about 30-40 but getin time is a different thing
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:31 pm

86 ducks and geese last year, this year were at 80 51 of them being geese, (shot with my dad, and freind) and the number is still rising, with the new ducks
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby Duck Crazy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:54 pm

Are we talking like the number of ducks you actually shot yourself, or are we talking the number of birds that were killed on the hunts you were on?
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby duck jerky » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:40 pm

200+ for last 3 years and probably the same this year.
duck jerky
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:58 pm

During a good year I average about 35-50, during a bad year less than 25.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:27 pm

smackaduck wrote:

Not at all. The 6 is what you can have in possession. Just say you go out for the weekend and kill your three birds camp that night and kill three the next morning now you have six in possession.

So i can only have 12 ducks in my freezer at one time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I better start cooking.
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:06 pm

there is daily limit and posession limit. if your daily limit is 6, often that means you can have 12 in posession....i.e: your freezer is posession. So if you have mroe than 12 in there...yes you'd better start eating. If you are shooting every weekend, you basically need to be eating a duck or two every night.
If your freezer is not empty by your next hunt (lets say you have four ducks in your freezer on saturday morning...) you could only shoot a full limit one of those days out. either you shoot 6 saturday morning, and 2 sunday, or you shoot four each day....assuming you are not cooking any in camp that night.

You can be busted for birds in your freezer as far as i understand it.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby duckslayer92 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:53 pm

you can have as many duck as you want in your freezer that possesion is olny when you are out and driving or any were i have over 50 in mine
duckslayer92
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:18 am

:hijacked: sorry, for the hijack...want to clarify this as it is important.

Maybe it doesn't cross over from state to state, but as the law reads in MN: posession includes your freezer.

For example, last year when our limit was four and posession was eight...you would have been able to shoot an outstate limit of 6/12 but your posession would have to be 8 by the time you crossed back into the state. If you had birds in the freezer back home on top of a full limit from an outstate trip you could very well be in violation unless you ate the # of ducks that would put you over in your home state.
Not sure if all of that is clear, but as I stated...this is definately the case for Minnesota.

IF you are living alone and have 50 ducks in your freezer, you are over the limit (i stress again, maybe for other states too...but definately in MN). However, you can legally gift birds to members in your household. This would mean that with 50 ducks, you would need approximately 5 people in your home to be within the confines of the law. So yes, you may have more than the daily/posession limits in your freezer...you just gotta make sure the math is right.

Cooked birds do not count, but somehow processed duck counts (jerky) towards your posession limit as well. This makes this conundrum even more difficult...as just how many "ducks" are in your jerky? Whole or in stick form...a duck is still in your posession. There certainly are a slew of rules, but best to stay within them if we expect to keep duck hunting. DNA can and has been used to verify just how many ducks are in your jerky, even if you can't rightly tell.

While it may be unlikely for a CO to come check your freezer, by what's on our books you oughta not try to skirt the regs.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled post: how many ducks do you avg. per season
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Next

Return to Youth