Duck Hunting Forum banner

hOW MANY DUCKS DO YOU AVERAGE PER SEASON?

10K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  Trois_beaux_canards 
#1 ·
I WAS JUST WANDERING HOW MANY DUCKS YOU GUYS GET EACH SEASON. I USUALLY GET AROUND 30 OR SO

#2 ·
on a bad year (last year) i average only 25 but on a good year it can range from 40-60. it would probably be much better if i was able to hunt on sundays. but livign in the bible belt and working 40 hours a week only lets me hunt on saturdays and holidays.

#11 ·
I have a question on this. when the division of wildlife for instance says your daily bag limit is 3 geese and your posession limit is 6. doesn't that mean that you can only take 6 birds throughout the season? If I'm not straight on this please let me know because that's the way I've been hunting...? thanks guys!

#15 ·
goose hunter said:
I have a question on this. when the division of wildlife for instance says your daily bag limit is 3 geese and your posession limit is 6. doesn't that mean that you can only take 6 birds throughout the season? If I'm not straight on this please let me know because that's the way I've been hunting...? thanks guys!
Not at all. The 6 is what you can have in possession. Just say you go out for the weekend and kill your three birds camp that night and kill three the next morning now you have six in possession.

#17 ·
goose hunter said:
Also lets say the Game Warden comes to your house you better only have 6 of your geese in your frezzer.

And I really dont know how many if i ever get time to hunt I think about 30-40 but getin time is a different thing

#22 ·
smackaduck said:
goose hunter said:
Not at all. The 6 is what you can have in possession. Just say you go out for the weekend and kill your three birds camp that night and kill three the next morning now you have six in possession.
So i can only have 12 ducks in my freezer at one time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I better start cooking.

#23 ·
there is daily limit and posession limit. if your daily limit is 6, often that means you can have 12 in posession....i.e: your freezer is posession. So if you have mroe than 12 in there...yes you'd better start eating. If you are shooting every weekend, you basically need to be eating a duck or two every night.
If your freezer is not empty by your next hunt (lets say you have four ducks in your freezer on saturday morning...) you could only shoot a full limit one of those days out. either you shoot 6 saturday morning, and 2 sunday, or you shoot four each day....assuming you are not cooking any in camp that night.

You can be busted for birds in your freezer as far as i understand it.

#25 ·
:hijacked: sorry, for the hijack...want to clarify this as it is important.

Maybe it doesn't cross over from state to state, but as the law reads in MN: posession includes your freezer.

For example, last year when our limit was four and posession was eight...you would have been able to shoot an outstate limit of 6/12 but your posession would have to be 8 by the time you crossed back into the state. If you had birds in the freezer back home on top of a full limit from an outstate trip you could very well be in violation unless you ate the # of ducks that would put you over in your home state.
Not sure if all of that is clear, but as I stated...this is definately the case for Minnesota.

IF you are living alone and have 50 ducks in your freezer, you are over the limit (i stress again, maybe for other states too...but definately in MN). However, you can legally gift birds to members in your household. This would mean that with 50 ducks, you would need approximately 5 people in your home to be within the confines of the law. So yes, you may have more than the daily/posession limits in your freezer...you just gotta make sure the math is right.

Cooked birds do not count, but somehow processed duck counts (jerky) towards your posession limit as well. This makes this conundrum even more difficult...as just how many "ducks" are in your jerky? Whole or in stick form...a duck is still in your posession. There certainly are a slew of rules, but best to stay within them if we expect to keep duck hunting. DNA can and has been used to verify just how many ducks are in your jerky, even if you can't rightly tell.

While it may be unlikely for a CO to come check your freezer, by what's on our books you oughta not try to skirt the regs.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled post: how many ducks do you avg. per season

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.