New to hunting and this site!

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

New to hunting and this site!

Postby Passion for Ducks » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:05 pm

Hi everyone! I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Jack and I'm 16(turning 17 in 3 days!), and I'm from northern California. Hunting and fishing are my passion, I have been fishing since I was 5 and I am relatively new to hunting. The 2013/2014 waterfowl season was my first! I shot my first goose but no ducks :sad:. And after that season I realized that hunting is my true passion! I would just like to say that I didn't join this forum to cyber scout or steal anyone's hunting spot I just want to talk to everyone about hunting.

I was also wondering if there is anyone in northern California that duck hunts? I'm looking for a hunting buddy and would love to have someone show me the ropes! I am serious about hunting and will go every weekend if I can. The only problem is that I don't have a spot to hunt for next season. I was just thinking about doing some guided duck hunts and maybe find some public land to hunt on since I don't feel I have the experience or money to join a club or lease a blind yet. And was trying to find someone to tag along. But if there is someone out there that is willing to show me the ropes and do some serious hunting next season I would be more than willing to pay for whatever you have to offer.

Any information or techniques are greatly appreciated. I am eager to learn!

Happy Hunting :smile:
Passion for Ducks
hunter

Re: New to hunting and this site!

Postby Hbnel5on » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Hell of a first post sir haha

Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:39 pm

There is LOTS to learn from this site, and just getting out there and hunting. You'll find out what ducks like and dont..... hard to explain how to set up decoys perfectly as one person may like them, you'll find what works and what doesnt.

my best advice is to read, and read lots of things about hiding well, setting up, SCOUTING, and just having the right gear helps.... but as you'll see that varies and you'll find what you like. I'm kind of stubborn so I have some items I wouldnt hunt without and other items i wont be caught dead with them!
Then you'll have to become an amateur wildlife biologist as well as meteorologist, knowing the ducks and what they will do in any given weather situation is a MAJOR help to you if you want to have a chance at shooting.You'll pretty much have to educate yourself on duck behavior, not saying we cant help its why you've come here! lots of info on that stuff as well here. But you'll still have to get out and scout your local hunting areas to see what the ducks are doing on a given type of day, what exact spot they are frequenting, when they are flying, where they feed, and then there is the weather you'll have to watch. I'd suggest keeping a small notebook or notes section in your phone and log info about hunts and scouting trips. Note where the ducks are, weather conditions, flight groups coming in? feeding? loafing? are there good places to hide near? How many ducks and type? I kept more mental notes this past season, but I plan to write down stuff for next year.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Passion for Ducks » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:07 am

2500hdon37s wrote:There is LOTS to learn from this site, and just getting out there and hunting. You'll find out what ducks like and dont..... hard to explain how to set up decoys perfectly as one person may like them, you'll find what works and what doesnt.

my best advice is to read, and read lots of things about hiding well, setting up, SCOUTING, and just having the right gear helps.... but as you'll see that varies and you'll find what you like. I'm kind of stubborn so I have some items I wouldnt hunt without and other items i wont be caught dead with them!
Then you'll have to become an amateur wildlife biologist as well as meteorologist, knowing the ducks and what they will do in any given weather situation is a MAJOR help to you if you want to have a chance at shooting.You'll pretty much have to educate yourself on duck behavior, not saying we cant help its why you've come here! lots of info on that stuff as well here. But you'll still have to get out and scout your local hunting areas to see what the ducks are doing on a given type of day, what exact spot they are frequenting, when they are flying, where they feed, and then there is the weather you'll have to watch. I'd suggest keeping a small notebook or notes section in your phone and log info about hunts and scouting trips. Note where the ducks are, weather conditions, flight groups coming in? feeding? loafing? are there good places to hide near? How many ducks and type? I kept more mental notes this past season, but I plan to write down stuff for next year.
thank you this is some good information. I plan on buying a few decoys and scouting some spots as it gets closer to next season! I will definitely keep some notes in my phone about good and bad hunting spots.
Passion for Ducks
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:17 am

also we've had some luck by setting up in a small fly way this past season! we caught ducks flying from a large loafing/ resting pond (~3000 birds on that pond) and we were able to hunt in a few pools where the ducks would fly directly over us while heading to other pools that had food (couldnt hunt those pools due to drawing for spots on this public land) and he had good luck in pulling in some groups before they got to the other pools.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Return to Youth