What's a good choke to use duck hunting?

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

What's a good choke to use duck hunting?

Postby duckslayer323 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:31 pm

I'm a kid and I have been hunting 3 years and I don't know what the best choke to use duck hunting

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
duckslayer323
Newb

Re: What's a good choke to use duck hunting?

Postby duckslayer323 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:33 pm

I like improved cylinder but if u think there's a better one please comment

duckslayer323
Newb

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:26 pm

Depends on range. I usually run mod or full aftermarket tubes. I shoot 20-50 yards.

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:27 pm

You really need to pattern your gun at the ranges you shoot. What works in my gun could be worthless in yours.

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:22 pm

what gun? what load? what ranges?

I really like the factory MOD in my Maxus, but the factory chokes suck in my 870 so I have a Carlson's mid range that works very well.

but like said, you really MUST pattern your gun with the exact same load you will be hunting with to really know what type of pattern a given choke is throwing out of your gun, you might even have to switch ammo if you cant find a choke that works. I have a carlsons mid range and a Patternmaster code black for my Maxus but the factory Mod still throws the best overall pattern under 40yds.

You'll also want to pattern at ranges you'll be normally shooting at. I'd suggets 20 or 25yds, 30yds, 40yds, and 45 or 50yds if you really want to, but you shouldnt be shooting that far. I cant remember shooting over 35yds this past season.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:00 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:what gun? what load? what ranges?

I really like the factory MOD in my Maxus, but the factory chokes suck in my 870 so I have a Carlson's mid range that works very well.

but like said, you really MUST pattern your gun with the exact same load you will be hunting with to really know what type of pattern a given choke is throwing out of your gun, you might even have to switch ammo if you cant find a choke that works. I have a carlsons mid range and a Patternmaster code black for my Maxus but the factory Mod still throws the best overall pattern under 40yds.

You'll also want to pattern at ranges you'll be normally shooting at. I'd suggets 20 or 25yds, 30yds, 40yds, and 45 or 50yds if you really want to, but you shouldnt be shooting that far. I cant remember shooting over 35yds this past season.

Your lucky your birds commit well. When we run layout they commit well. When we gun the shoreline they tend to land short on us around the 40-50 mark.

It would be better f you posted a pic of you let pattern then asked us how to improve it.

Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:42 pm

I hunt marshes 99% of the time, the fields and ponds for geese. And I dont like to call the shot until birds are in our faces. I had two hunts this past season where my farthest shot was about 25yds. Had teal coming in minutes before LST 5ft over our heads on one of them. But I can understand ducks on shorelines not wanting to finish close to shore.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Return to Youth