do you guys shoot hens?

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

Postby norcalhunter13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:45 am

Only time I shoot a hen is if a drake is not with it. Period end of story. If there is a drake it is a goner. I rarely end up shooting hens there is almost always a drake with it......
"Quit?
Just When It's
Getting Good?"

Proud Member of CWA
Proud Member of Ducks Unlimited
Proud Member of Delta Waterfowl
norcalhunter13
hunter

Postby Cupped & Committed » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:23 pm

I try not to shoot hens, but will if nothing else is flying. Plus, have you ever tried to pick out a hen gadwall. It can be pretty hard
Lord, Please Help Me Be The Man That My Dog Thinks I Am
Cupped & Committed
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:23 am

huntnful wrote:I kill what ever is on my side, if it is mallards and the drake gets killed then I am sure as hell shooting the hen because mallards do mate for life and I don't want to have any widow ducks flying around :wink: . Besides, it won't make a dent in the population anyways.

If I'm not mistaken, ducks in general don't mate for life. I'm pretty sure that geese are the only ones that mate for life.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby dog » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:23 am

I do. I always try for the drakes, but that is just cause they are nicer looking. I hunt in big groops mostly, so you usually just take the duck closest to you, or the ones that aren't already dead. :biggrin:

They is a reason for limits you know, you can only get 1 pintail because the species is being watched. You can only take 2 hen mallards, etc. The duck population is not being damaged when we shoot hens.
I rest my case.
If it flys, it dies
dog
hunter

Postby berettaguy17 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:00 pm

ITS BROWN ITS DOWN
i really dont care i try not to though but if shes going to be stupid and come real close or land shes dead
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby englishsetter » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:46 pm

frazier2209 wrote:
Duck Crazy wrote: plus the drakes look prettier

I'll second that!
Does anyone know of anyu species where the hen typically looks better?

i think a hen eiders prettier then most all other hen ducks and i think its prettier than a drake bwt
English Setters
englishsetter
hunter

Postby trapper20 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:23 pm

around my house when we duck hunt all ducks are prety much brown :sniper: :sniper: :gatgun: :gatgun:
trapper20
hunter

Postby englishsetter » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:18 pm

labman45 wrote:I do shoot hens and heres y i think that the concept that hens are more important than drakes is BS so if u shoot more drakes then hens there will be more hens to breed and u will not have an even numbered ratio of drakes to hens. Hope ya caught that.

i think i get what ure saying are u saying that the hens cant lay egggs with out being fertilized by the male ducks so killing hens actually does nothing

if thats true then think about it thier might be 5,000 less drakes then hens but if a drake fertilizes two hens and each hen has 4 ducklings survive thats alotta new drakes and hens so yeah killing hens does do something it stops the production of atleast a few new ducklings every year the hen is able to breed
English Setters
englishsetter
hunter

Postby CNC » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:13 am

I will shoot a hen if it is getting close to the end of the hunt.. I will either eat her,or train with her though :tongue:
CNC
hunter

Postby DuckMN » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:20 pm

I always aim for drakes, not to say I always hit drakes. Sometimes hens fall if I don't get enough lead, too much, etc. I'll never aim for a hen in a flock and I'll never shoot a lone hen period.

Problem is I default to pulling the trigger, meaning if a bird I know by deductive reasoning is legal comes in hot and heavy and I am unable to decide the sex, I shoot.

Oh and hooded mergansers I don't much care, I really shoot for the drakes on those because they are pretty, but I will shoot a lone hen merganser on a slow day diver hunting.
DuckMN
hunter

wow

Postby ksduckslayer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:30 pm

a drake will do as many hens as he can, hes like a deer or a turkey. i try not to shoot hens.......teal and bluebills are different though. I cnat tell the difference between the drakes and the hens at 40 mph
Cant wait for it to get cold.....
ksduckslayer
hunter

Previous

Return to Youth