Most Important

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

Most Important

Postby Duck Crazy » Sun May 08, 2005 8:00 pm

What do you think is the most important thing when it comes to getting ducks to your spread and why. Of course actually having ducks where you hunt is most important, but im talking out of dekes, cover, calling, conditions ect.
Think, Duck
Dream, Duck
Kill, Duck

It's an Obsession
Duck Crazy
hunter

Postby InTheDecoys » Mon May 09, 2005 8:20 pm

The most important thing in duck hunting is location location location. If the ducks don't want to be there then you will only get a couple. It don't matter if you have a million deeks out, if they don't want to be there they won't come in.
InTheDecoys.... Take em
InTheDecoys
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Tue May 10, 2005 7:10 am

well, in a heavily pressured area it would be being away from the pressure but still in a habitat where the ducks want to come. Another major factor when hunting in pressure is camoflage. I think camo is the 2nd most important thing to bringing 'em in. Then dekes then shooters ability then calling :thumbsup:
frazier2209
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Tue May 10, 2005 12:58 pm

I think the most important thing is by far location. But after that i'de have to say decoys.
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Tue May 10, 2005 1:58 pm

i would have to say cover and location are by far the most important. i have had plent of birds come into jugs painted flat black without any calling.
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby take EM' close » Wed May 11, 2005 4:00 pm

I'm gonna have to go with everyone else....LOCATION!! But yet being concealed and not moving play an important role also! :yes:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby labman45 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:52 pm

I think if the ducks dont have any confidence u aint gonna shoot anything.So i think the 2 most important factors are decoy placement and camoflauge.
labman45
hunter

Postby JPS » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:35 am

Location is important. If you sit in your backyard you wont shool any ducks.
But it proves that ducks come to many wierd places in dusk.
After location come decoys, you will only get random chances if you dont use decoys. Calls eventually make your chances better.
Still you can select a perfect location and have a perfect spread of decoys. If you MOVE around when the ducks are approaching they wont come any near.

Actually, as a very experienced duckhunter, i would say, that the most important thing is to sit perfectly still and wait until the right moment to start aiming.
Ive seen many inexperinced hunters beginning to move their gun too early and in that way either scare the birds off or miss the best opportunity.
I have also tried, when i was retrieving a dead duck in the decoy spread, that a flock came in, and I got a chance, because I just froze and waited out in the open.
Waterfowler
JPS
hunter

Return to Youth