new to hunting

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

new to hunting

Postby duckhunter94 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:05 pm

hey guys im new to hunting and this year will be my first year ever. Im located in southeast,georgia. my dad just bought a remington870. im just wondering wat to expect in my first year and my first time shooting a real gun. (like recoil and what not)
duckhunter94
hunter

Postby blhunter3 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:07 pm

First go find a place to shoot clays and dont even think about recoil. It bothers you more when you are waiting for it. Kinda like when you are going to get a shot from the doctor. If he jsut does it with out warning it hurts, but if he counts down it hurts more.
Live, laugh, shoot some birds.
blhunter3
hunter

Postby duckhunter94 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:14 pm

i have to get my gun safety license and huntin license. we have clay pidgeons and we are goin to shoot on my land. I have a plus because i have all swamp. also i went duck watchin in the swamp and it was a great experience.
duckhunter94
hunter

Postby duckhunter94 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:23 pm

also we'll be huntin on the altamaha.
duckhunter94
hunter

Postby duckhunter94 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:04 pm

blhunter3 wrote:First go find a place to shoot clays and dont even think about recoil. It bothers you more when you are waiting for it. Kinda like when you are going to get a shot from the doctor. If he jsut does it with out warning it hurts, but if he counts down it hurts more.

i shot it today and what you said helped. i didnt worry about the recoil.and for my first shot i hurt a little but thats what you should expect.
duckhunter94
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:30 pm

When your in the blind and you start shooting at real birds, your hearts goin so fast you dont notice the recoil. Not saying it doesnt hurt, but it may take an hour or two to notice.

What you can expect for the season is a steep learning curve. Never give up, stay organized, and be prepared.

And start saving up your money because once you start you cant stop
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby duckhunter94 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:38 pm

shoot-n-goose wrote:When your in the blind and you start shooting at real birds, your hearts goin so fast you dont notice the recoil. Not saying it doesnt hurt, but it may take an hour or two to notice.

What you can expect for the season is a steep learning curve. Never give up, stay organized, and be prepared.

And start saving up your money because once you start you cant stop

we aint gonna be in a blind we are huntin on the altamaha river and off that theres another river where we will be huntin. also ive been lookin for a call but havent bee able to find a cheap one or any call in general.
duckhunter94
hunter

Postby englishsetter » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:48 pm

cabelas.com has good duck calls just find a hunting retailer and look up duck calls i have 30-40 dollar calls nothing extremely expensive
English Setters
englishsetter
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:37 pm

You can get decent calls for 25$ Cabelas and Bass Pro have em and Gander Mountain but I think those are only in Wisconsin
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:51 pm

Its very important that you dont get discouraged. When I started, I didnt know a thing about duck hunting. Had no idea about decoy placement, wind direction, stuff like that. Made for some very disheartening first few seasons. You will learn as you go and before you know you will be an old pro. Learn all you can, try and contact some duck hunters if you know any and listen to what they have to say.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby duckhunter94 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Its very important that you dont get discouraged. When I started, I didnt know a thing about duck hunting. Had no idea about decoy placement, wind direction, stuff like that. Made for some very disheartening first few seasons. You will learn as you go and before you know you will be an old pro. Learn all you can, try and contact some duck hunters if you know any and listen to what they have to say.

oh we got into it again only because a guy my dad works with is a duckaholic. that is all he talks about. so wat u guys are sayin about calls is go to gander and get on because wallmart did but now they took em of the shelves
duckhunter94
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:17 pm

id recomend a zink powerhen 2 poly for s starter then you can move into higher end calls

my first season i only killed a few it gets discouraging but once you get started it really starts to turn around

remember location will get you on more ducks than any call or decoys will

you have any dekes yet? :welcome:
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby duckhunter94 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:55 am

TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE wrote:id recomend a zink powerhen 2 poly for s starter then you can move into higher end calls

my first season i only killed a few it gets discouraging but once you get started it really starts to turn around

remember location will get you on more ducks than any call or decoys will

you have any dekes yet? :welcome:

naw but the the guy whos boat were hunting out of has a load of them. and to get the prime location were goin out at like midnight just to get our spot.
duckhunter94
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:33 pm

What we mean by good location is not necessarily being on one corner of the marsh it can make a big difference but if your on a marsh where the ducks normally aren't then you aren't gonna have very good luck you gotta be where they want to be that's what scouting is for :thumbsup:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby duckhunter94 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:51 pm

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:What we mean by good location is not necessarily being on one corner of the marsh it can make a big difference but if your on a marsh where the ducks normally aren't then you aren't gonna have very good luck you gotta be where they want to be that's what scouting is for :thumbsup:

ya were gonna go out like the weekend before just to get a general idea of where were gonna hunt from.
duckhunter94
hunter

Postby trapper20 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:28 pm

ive had my shotgun for 4 years and have been going to the traprange since then just remember dont shoot just to here your gun go bang :smile:
trapper20
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:33 pm

duckhunter94 wrote:
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:What we mean by good location is not necessarily being on one corner of the marsh it can make a big difference but if your on a marsh where the ducks normally aren't then you aren't gonna have very good luck you gotta be where they want to be that's what scouting is for :thumbsup:

ya were gonna go out like the weekend before just to get a general idea of where were gonna hunt from.

ducks and geese can be weird sometimes one day there there at one spot then tomorrow they can be in a totally diff spot

early season they tend to stay put longer but after ahwile they will change location daily
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby duckhunter94 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:37 pm

TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE wrote:
duckhunter94 wrote:

ducks and geese can be weird sometimes one day there there at one spot then tomorrow they can be in a totally diff spot

early season they tend to stay put longer but after ahwile they will change location daily

the only thing were gonna be hunting is duck and dove. the only place theres geese is on the base and we cant hunt there.
duckhunter94
hunter

Postby duckhunter94 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:08 pm

my dad found us two calls i cant remember the other one but the one ill probably use is a cutt down game calls. are these any good
duckhunter94
hunter

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:13 pm

Yep! Thats what I have on my lanyard.. I love them..

What did you get?
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby duckhunter94 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:11 pm

DuckSlyer16 wrote:Yep! Thats what I have on my lanyard.. I love them..

What did you get?

All i know is that its a mallard call. I cant stop practicing its so addicting....
duckhunter94
hunter

Return to Youth