What is your weirdest encounter while hunting?

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

What is your weirdest encounter while hunting?

Postby duckindude » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:21 pm

What is your weirdest encounter while duck hunting?

Well,
we were having a slow day when a duck came in about 10 yards from us, (we were on shore) and 2 shots rang out, the duck fell and flopped around but was done soon after. When cleaning the black duck we found one single bb in its breast was what killed it. 2 SHOTS AND ONLY 1 BB FOUND ITS MARK FROM 10 YARDSS!!!!! wow we are bad shots :eek: o well, didnt mess up the meat!! :thumbsup:
--Tell em u can learn more in one day out in the field then they can teach u in a month at school-- the best and most true quote of all
duckindude
hunter

Postby texasduckblaster » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:35 pm

last year on opening day i was standing out the decoys trying to keep other hunters away when a stupid nutria popped up right at my feet.

another was also last year when i was walking along a floded creek looking for ducks to jump with this duck that looked like a giant woodie poped up flew away before i could get a shoot off, then like an hour later a friend of mine went back to walk down the creek and saw the same duck but took three shoots and missed.

we never figured out what kind of duck it was, it looked like a giant woodie
it was slightly larger than a mallard.

does anyboby know what it could have been?
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby duckindude » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:46 pm

man ive seen 1 or 2 woodies close to thats size but they were easily identifiable as woodies, hmm, think it was a mix?
--Tell em u can learn more in one day out in the field then they can teach u in a month at school-- the best and most true quote of all
duckindude
hunter

Postby take EM' close » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:05 pm

Once me, my friend, his bro and thier dad were out jumping ducks on a little creek that stays open all winter long and hold plenty of mallards.....well we jumped about 25 and we all shot and 3 ducks fell. I shot one and dropped him on the first shot and my friend and his dad each got 1 a peice. Well we picked them up and started walking down the creek. We had only walked maybe 100 yeards and I felt something moving in my little pouch in the back of my hunting vest. I thought it was jsut nerves from teh duck but it kept moving. I told my friend to look and when he opened it the damn thing started flappin and got out. It took off running and then took flight! LuckyI was smart enough to shoot it again because my friend and his dad and bro just watched in amazment. Then I rung it's neck to make sure. I don't know how it came back alive but I'm still amazed!! It was weird! :thumbsup:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby texasduckblaster » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:18 pm

duckindude wrote:man ive seen 1 or 2 woodies close to thats size but they were easily identifiable as woodies, hmm, think it was a mix?

i was thinking the same thing.

ive got another, my dad and i went to jump a friend of ours pond which was covered in mallards and gadwall. we snuck over the pond dam and let em have it we droped three or four. and this one duck just kept circling back around untill we both ran out of ammo (which was another 2 shots) then after we were out it landed on the pond.
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:18 pm

Last year when i was in sodak duck hunting. My dads best friends son and I went out and saw 3 gw teal on a little pot hole. So we walk out there and jump shoot it. We drop one and the other two keep circling the pond and we each reload a shot and miss the things still keep circling so finally we reload and drop both of them. I don't think they had ever been shot at.
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby waterfowlwacker123 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:15 am

last year we were field hutning i layout blinds and some butt nood local with long hair and a beard came running through the field yelling run!runaway! so we shot into the air a few times and he ran off. we ended coming to from our limit combined.
waterfowlwacker123
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:57 am

mine was opening duck last year....me and mallardhunter, his dad, and two buddies. one of them had never gone duck hunting before, and it got slow so mallardhunters dad and one of our buddies walked through the corn to see what was on the other slough, there was a pile of coots and they shot one brought it back and told our buddy(who's first time out) that it was a buffalo head, and there really good if u slow cook them in the oven... :laughing: :laughing: we all went with the joke untill he was gonna have me take it home and clean it. but thats bout the best i have.
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:26 am

Well down here in Se Arkansas First day of the 04-05 season. Was not doing real good got like three birds. Started haring something on an island which was a very filmier sound it was hogs. So four of us went to investigate need less to say we took home 3 ducks and 4 hogs.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckindude » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:10 pm

i was out on lake erie one time and for some reason while i was on shore i decided to turn around, and there was a raccoon crawling towards me in broad daylight!!! :eek: we wanted to shoot at it but decided not too
dang coons :umm:
duckindude
hunter

Postby super_mag » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:16 am

up in nd me and my cousin were sitting out on this point when we see this bird flying at us, we couldnt fiugr out what is was, it came right over top of us and we saw that it was a pheasant my cousin shot it. i have never seen a pheasant fly that far before.
Luke
super_mag
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:45 am

One word- Cows
We were decoying geese once and this loner goose came in and landed in our decoys and the geese were like 10 feet away and they were all staying at us, and the goose was walking on the ice in our decoys. Then when we went to shoot the goose my dad scared the cows and me and my cousin shot the goose.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:21 pm

take EM' close wrote: I don't know how it came back alive but I'm still amazed!! It was weird! :thumbsup:

I had teh same thing happend to me I put the duck in a bucket then like an hour later I opened it up to put a couple more in and the duck jubped you and went right into my face scare me half to death
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby JPS » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:02 am

Laying anchored off shore waiting for golden eyes, I had a seal itching its back on my boat.
The seal and I had a nice talk about political problems, it was an eager listener and keept crying all the time from those big black eyes.
I can understand that, politicians arent what they used to be.
Waterfowler
JPS
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:32 pm

how many people can say a seal sat on their boat while they hunted? Tha's very cool!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby WoodieWhacker » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:44 pm

Opening day of this season i was on a small pond with a dozen mallard dekes out and a half dozen BW teal dekes in a group. A flock of 5 bluewings came in by surprise and sat down right on top of the dekes, actually bumping into them. :eek: It made quite a bit of noise. They got up and I picked a drake out of there and dropped it.

Also had a group of redheads zoomin by later this season right on top of the water. A drake put his landing gear out, and I hit him. He did a couple summersaults on the water then got up and started flying again, but i quickly finished him off.
WoodieWhacker
hunter

Postby JPS » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:55 am

Sorry, "at my boat", not "on my boat".
Those prepositions. :oops:
Waterfowler
JPS
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:48 am

Me and a buddy were hunting a big bay for broadbills/ringnecks, and we set out our longlines and singles. Anyhow, through out the day, birds just didnt want to decoy. When we picked up around 11ish, and there was a dead deer out in the decoy spread :eek: . Thats why the birds were flaring we think. :thumbsdown:

~Tyler
T-MAN
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:12 pm

We shot at a bird and I thought wed missed . When 10 minutes latter TWACK it hi the mai mai and almost took one of us out! It must of started circling high above us but crippled without us noticing. :toofunny:
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:05 pm

Kiwi you just cant stay out of the youth forum can you? Im just playing.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby hardcoregoosehunter » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:08 pm

in early duck season me my friend and his dad were duck hunting and a BLUE HERON LANDED ON THE BLIND!!
hardcoregoosehunter
hunter

Postby bassinator » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:56 am

my dad has had a pheasant jump out of his game bag when in south dakota.
Layin' the Hammer down, one gritter at a time.
bassinator
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:29 pm

bassinator wrote:my dad has had a pheasant jump out of his game bag when in south dakota.

Did he need to change his shorts after that? :toofunny:
That might work me up a bit...
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:02 pm

T-MAN wrote:Me and a buddy were hunting a big bay for broadbills/ringnecks, and we set out our longlines and singles. Anyhow, through out the day, birds just didnt want to decoy. When we picked up around 11ish, and there was a dead deer out in the decoy spread :eek: . Thats why the birds were flaring we think. :thumbsdown:

~Tyler

one hunt in the middle of the season ended up with no luck. so when we got out to pick the decoys up we were headed back out and saw a dead doe about 20 yd. down from our spread. Almost the same situation. :toofunny:
chevyZ71
hunter

Banded Buttheads

Postby marklil » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:38 pm

Me and my dad was a hunting a field one time but the ducks didnt want to work they would just fly down the field and land about two hundred yards away. I asked my dad if I could go sneak on em' but he said I was allowed but I couldnt take my gun. About an hour later he told me to stay still he was going to sneak on them, when he got back he had three greenheads and one of them was banded.

BUMMER
grnhedgunner
marklil
hunter

Next

Return to Youth