What is your weirdest encounter while hunting?

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

Postby Red Head22 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:59 pm

One time dad and i were in the deer stand and te ducks were flying like crazy all over us and the deer just were not movin so we went back to the truck and got 2 shotguns then we took the top off our deer stand and did fairly well dad shot one duck out of a pair and went to swing on the other and the one he shot hit him right in the chest. i thought it might have killed him i also think he crap his pants :toofunny:
i would rather duck hunt and fish than live
Red Head22
hunter

Postby marshmanjr » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:49 pm

One time my dad and i were duck hunting when a muskrat popped up in the water so my dad shot him with his 10 ga. right in the head. i went and picked him up and put him in the pit. about an hour later the dang thing came back to life and was crawling all over the floor in the blind untill we got him with a 2 by 4. :laughing:
if at first you dont suceed ..... RELOAD!!!!!
marshmanjr
hunter

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:40 pm

:laughing: my dad and i were in the blind around 1 pm and hadn't gotten a duck all day we were getting ready to pack it up when the wind started blowing a little more than 30 mph a flock of about 50 wigeon flew over and we unloaded dropped 4 and the thing was they kept trying to fly against the wind so they just stayed there needless to say my dad and i each had a limit of ducks and were suprised on how dumb they were...when we left they were still flying in the same spot 20 yards up above the blind...the damndest thing
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Alcohol

Postby dist8229 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:04 pm

It has always been a tradition at my duck blind to bring some form of alcohol opening morning. well 05-06 season it was pepermint scnapps, a whole half gallon. you can guess the rest. that was the only morning we limited out all season.
dist8229
hunter

Re: Alcohol

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:01 pm

dist8229 wrote:It has always been a tradition at my duck blind to bring some form of alcohol opening morning. well 05-06 season it was pepermint scnapps, a whole half gallon. you can guess the rest. that was the only morning we limited out all season.

Drinking and hunting don't mix. Do us all a favor and set a better example for younger hunters.

Anyway.....We were out in the panhandle of Oklahoma, pheasant hunting. To make a long story short.....shot a pheasant, he went down hard, dog brought him back to me and the bird was not moving. Stuck him in my vest and continued hunting. We got back in town and there was an autozone next to a busy resteraunt, so dad pulled in the autozone to park. We get out to go eat and that pheasant flys out of the back of the truck......my dads buddy takes off in a dead sprint after this bird and after about a quarter mile, he catches it.....people were stopping their vehicles to watch him run after this pheasant.....funniest thing I have seen to this day!! :yes:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby wood duck » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:16 pm

shot a pheasant and feathers flew all over once it got to the ground it stood up and started to walk away so i shot him again on the ground i no its not good ethics but he was wounded he rolled forward and layed there i walked over there and it flew up again damn thing and i shot him 1 more time and he finally died and that was full choked #4s out of a 12 :toofunny:
friends dont let friends shoot mossbergs
wood duck
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:46 pm

wood duck wrote:so i shot him again on the ground i no its not good ethics but he was woundeD

If he was wounded, don't feel bad about shooting him again. :thumbsup:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Duckbuster612 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:08 pm

Well the people next to the farm fields hate me and my dads guts. These people just got a brand new bay side window lookin out over the farmfield. Me and my dad are walkin out to the goose blind and we have our guns loaded cause phesant usually pop up. A phesant pops up and gains altitude and we pop it. Its start gaining speed doin a death glide right at the peoples house. The thing was like a rocket and were watching it like :eek: !!! All of a sudden the thing goes smashing through the new bayside window and shatters it. (we left a anynomous call...PHESANTTHROUGHYOURWINDOW!!!) :mrgreen:

Then we shot a goose... its cripple doin a deth glide and we thought it was goin to clear the house but it crapped out and left a blood skid about 10 ft long on their driveway.

Then we saw a cripple goose flying low losing altitude and it was goin fast. All of a sudden it just dropped. we were like what? Turns out it snapped its neck on the teliphone wires.

Me and my little cuz were ice skatein and i was all pissed off because i could have been duck huntin. Im hearin shots all over the bay and i was just like...WHAT AM I DOING HERE!?!?! Theres like 100 little kids like 7 and under and all of a sudden i picked up a boggie movin fast comin in. Its a black duck! Im watchin watchin thhinkin man this is goin to be good. The thing does a emergency landing and skids about a 100 ft across the ice and all the little kids are skatein around. I was laughin so hard i was crying! I was doubled over cause the thing almost impaled a kid! It was silent then all of a sudden you hear like 100 little kids screamin and cryin. :laughing:
Duckbuster612
Newb

Postby Boomn4x4 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:02 am

While goose hunting I dropped a green head, walked over and retrieved it, pretty routine nothing out of the ordinary. I usually put the ducks under the goose shells to keep them hidden. Well three hours later I was cleaning up my spread and playing "which goose has a bird under it." I lifeted up one of the shells and the bird took flight, scared the crap out of me. Luckily my brother-in-law saw it happened and still had a loaded gun.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby gone winchester » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:08 am

:toofunny:
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby 1187sportsman » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:56 pm

mine was when we were in puduka ky, and we were having a great day when this group of geese came in, out of 5 of us shooting all our shots we killed one rosses goose of course i claimed it. :tounge:
Gear
rem 1187 sportsman 12ga
full sentblock suit
camo boonie hat
camo waiters
1187sportsman
Newb

Postby duck huntin mamou » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:24 pm

we were hunting in my uncles blind and knocked down a big pretty widgeon dear as a doorknob. we through it in the bottom of the blind and about 15 min. later it came back to lifeand started walking around the bottom of the blind
The other day we were hunting and 3 gw teal lit all three of us shot and killed all of em. a little later out of nowhere 1 got up and flew away.
Another time we were hunting and a greenhead passed over. We shot and it was falling like a brick. about 2 ft. off the water it opened its wings and left. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:38 pm

On dec 23 my son and i were hunting the bay, he says do you hear that dad, i said what ducks? no christmas music, and it just kept getting louder, pretty strange to hear music while you hunt
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrimp0528 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:43 pm

my budys place were i hunt they have a tamed deer so when we are in our blind it comes and for no reason it will just nale the crap out of it so when ducks fly over all they here is a bom bom bom
shrimp0528
hunter

Postby Johnsons Tackle and Guide » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:11 pm

We were hunting in our usual pond on the local pulblic area. There are alot of swans around this time of year and we had snow goose decoys out so they were landing all in our decoys and it was really cool because they are HUGE like 35lbs. Any way my dog went out side of the blind and scared them off and they flew over a group of hunters about 300-500yrds away and they shot one of them :thumbsdown: I was like WOWWOWOOW so i called caltip . Hope they got busted. :thumbsup:

But still i was like thats lame thoes birds are like majestic kinda like the bald eagles of the marsh.
*Johnsons Tackle and Guide Service*
Over 30 years experiance in Tahoe
Johnsons Tackle and Guide
Account Suspended for brand name useage

Postby blackduck_killer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:51 am

it what i was doing when i shot my first deer, and i've had otters play
among the decoys. whatched a duck i shot sail half a kilometer
and crash land in someone elses blind, they were in it.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:14 pm

My friend was born in a state of confusion on Friday the 13th, so he has the worst luck while hunting. When we were 12, we were pheasant hunting on public land, i spotted a rooster sitting in a ditch on the edge of a marsh, i yelled rooster, rooster, rooster! my friend comes running over and says where is it, and the frickin' bird flushes and hits my friend in the face, funniest damn thing you ever did see! :lol: :biggrin: :rofl:

he also has another "when pheasants attack" when we were duck hunting down a slough. i spotted this bird coming in with the sun to its back, i thought it was a hawk, so i just watched, it turned out to be a pheasant, well, it comes right in to where i am standing when my friend comes down the slough to me, the damn pheasant goes all of 6 inches over his head! i told him to shoot it, he swings, the dang thing goes behind a tree and my freind shoots the tree.

we were in the duck blind two years ago when my friend was calling, this damn great horned owl comes flying in and hovers 4 feet over my friend looking for the duck making all the racket, good thing it didn't attack, i bet talons hurt.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby JackHunts » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:38 pm

last day of the 06-07 season, had already shot my 1 mottled duck and had a single mallard drake fly in, problem was I wasn't exactly sure it was a mallard mainly because it was the only one I have ever seen on the river I hunt and I didn't want to kill another mottled duck for legality reasons :wink:
but sure enough as it was exiting it saw that it was so I started shooting missing my first two shots and the third I knocked it down but didn't get much into him... it was the first mallard I had shot or seen for that matter on the river so I basically tore down the blind as I bucked to retrieve him (dog was with my buddy retrieve a few teal we knocked down a minute prior), so as I was running to him he started gaining ground so I took off in a full sprint in my waiters in mud and a foot of water (just take a moment to picture it). It ended up getting away and I lost my hat in the wind and in the end of all of that I had forgotten I had a few extra shells in my pocket :thumbsdown: (the whole time I didn't think I had any shells left to finish him) and to top it off as we were motoring out there was a gator finishing off what looked to be a mallard drake...........
JackHunts
hunter

Postby Forstner » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:04 pm

my cousin pete, was driving around in his car! it was close to a holiday, i cannot recall which one! but anyways we were drivin down the road ( during goose season) in his car and we saw a goose running down the road! we pulled over and he chased the thing down, i bet it took a couple min. atleast for him to catch it!! the thing broke its wing, somehow so it couldnt fly, well pete thought he rung its neck good enough so he stuck it in his trunk..we got to our destination and we heard a thumping in the trunk so he opened it, the goose comes barreling out of the trunk and starts to attack us! it chased my cousin around until he realized, he is bout 5x bigger so he turned aroundgrabbed its neck and killed it for sure....good family moments you will never forget!
Forstner
hunter

Postby water_swatter01 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:29 pm

I dropped a redhead when a bald eagle swooped down took off with it. :mad:
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:54 pm

me and my buddy were duckhunting and nothing was fly so we went after a couple roosters that we had heard earlier, 5minuts after we started walking the dog went on piont so i thought i would show off and grab the dang bird so i reached my hand found somthing that felt alive puled it out aboy was it ever alive but to bad it was a racoon.

one shot was fired
we made five bucks
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:51 pm

Water swatter, my first duck ever got eaten by a hawk, i almost decided to go hawk hunting after that!
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby dog » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:40 pm

Before I could shoot, I was out phesent hunting with my dad. I steped right on a perfect male phesent. My dad missed.

Also, I went goose hunting in the San Fancisco Bay. We were on a boat and then 2 geese flew by. My dad killed his instantly, but mine kept flying. Later I was walking around the area. And there it was, my goose. Later when I cleaned it, I found it have 2 bbs in is, both right in its heart. It had a heart attack. :rofl:
dog
hunter

Postby spooniespiller14 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:24 pm

Yeah I have a few well one could be when we heard something in the brush across the river we were hunting and a non tipical buck comes chargeing out out of there it jumped in the freezeing cold river swims across to the tiny island we were on me my dad my bro and a DOG.But it gets on the island and walks half a foot behind me shakes off on me and starts walkin down the sliver of an island everyone on the island knows its there except for the dog.Well when the dog saw him they both reared back and screamed like sissy girls well then the dog went after and the deer came bck to me rounded the corner stepped nearly in my lap!! And jumped in the river.Needless to say when that startled buck went half afoot from my face my safety was off. :wink: :wink: :wink:
spooniespiller14
hunter

Postby minnesotaman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:08 pm

Me and my friends were pheasant hunting next to a pond when a rooster jumped up and flew towards the pond when I shot, it dropped in the rushes right next to the pond, My dog goes to get the pheasant and comes back with an alive hen mallard. I just grabbed it and it started flapping its wings and I dropped It started to fly away when me and my friend started shooting at it and we missed every shot. The dang thing got away!
minnesotaman
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Youth