first archery hunt

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

first archery hunt

Postby vandeman17 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:48 pm

After many years of hunting with a rifle and a muzzleloader I decided to try my hand with archery. A buddy and I went elk hunting for the last three days of the Washington early season. The units we were hunting in was true spike only so it made the already difficult task of finding and getting close enough to an elk even harder by having to find a specific one. Washington has its issues when it comes to rules and regulations but that is for a whole new topic. :mad: Over our three days we saw a handful of cows, a nice 5x5 bull that we called in to about 40 yards and a few deer and turkeys. We also got to experience the rush and excitement of hearing bulls bugling in the mornings and evenings. That has got to be one of the coolest things ever. On the final evening, we found ourselves on top of a mountain just sitting and enjoying listening to three bulls scream at each other for a good twenty minutes. On our way back to our truck, and in the middle of a little BS'ing session, out pops what else, but a true spike about 75 yards below us on the same spine of the ridge we were walking down. By this time we had about twenty minutes of legal shooting time left so we had to make something happen quickly. Long story short, my buddy got a shot at him but ended up sticking his arrow into a pine tree that he was standing behind. All I have to say, after three days, I am hooked. There is just something magical about being in the woods during the elk rut. The late hunt starts around Thanksgiving and you can be darn sure that I will be out chasing those critters again. At least this time, we can shoot a spike or a cow. I will keep you posted how we do...
"Coming right at us! A pair of singles!"
vandeman17
hunter

Re: first archery hunt

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:13 am

Sounds like a great time. I've always wanted to go out west for an Elk Hunt. I don't care if all I have is a cow tag, I just want to experience what you just described.

More proof that the shot and killing is only a very small part of a hunt.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Big Game