deer hunting rookie help

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

deer hunting rookie help

Postby duckhunter2222 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:26 pm

I have hunted for years but never hunted deer. Where i will be hunting is central kansas and have lived there all my life theres tons of deer and a couple big bucks i get on the scouting cams every now and then. i will be shooting either a .270 or a .308 and dont really know much about deer hunting. It would be greatly appreciated if any of u guys can tell me the basics... like calling, how when and where to set up and what to excpect. thanks
52 mallards
18 teal
2 canvasbacks
9 gadwall
22 crows
58 geese
2 wood ducks
11 pintail
18 ringnecks
duckhunter2222
hunter

Re: deer hunting rookie help

Postby montana quackhead » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Lots of things are involved with deer hunting. I can't cover all the basics, but watch the wind. If you have a stand, put it up near deer trails where your camera shows deer traveling during the day. Get in the stand early and stay for awhile. The more you get out, the more you'll learn. Get a book also. It will cover most aspects of hunting deer from a stand to sit and stalk to deer drives in the late season, rutting, and deer behaviors. Have fun and go shoot you one this year. Also, optics are very important!! Hope this helps. One last thing, for checking wind (the most important factor) I use a bottle filled with corn starch to check the wind. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby duckhunter2222 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:41 pm

ok thanks alot :smile:
52 mallards
18 teal
2 canvasbacks
9 gadwall
22 crows
58 geese
2 wood ducks
11 pintail
18 ringnecks
duckhunter2222
hunter

Postby sixXgun » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:39 pm

I would deff. watch your wind, deer have an amazing sense of smell. I would say loook for good trails to their food source or bedding area. If you are using a rifle especially with a scope it wont be as crucial to be set up right on there trail....just know where there gonna be feeding in the field. Calling can be hit or miss sometimes I have hunted deer with rifle 8 years and never used a call once and always had success. I think the calls really do the job when the rut is full on which is usually during bow season which is now my prefered method. If anything find some old antlers and use those for calling rather than a grunt call. Deer can be real curious sometimes and will want to see whats happening if they hear you banging the antlers together. I dont know how many times ive been cutting trees or setting up stands and deer will come out in the field to see what all the racket is about.
I also hunt in central kansas....lota nice deer.
Good luck
sixXgun
hunter

Return to Big Game