Duck Hunting Forum banner

Might get into bow hunting,,

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  waterfowler20 
#1 ·
..Im a beginner hunter, and have yet to take any big game. I was planning on my first big game experience taking place behind my remington 30-06, but i missed the draw, and there are some bow hunts for Javelina avalable and I really want to try my hand. The hunt is in early January so I would have time to practice up.

Is bow hunting a good way to get into big game?

Whats a rough estimate on the initital investment?

What would be the minimal amount of equipment needed to go hog hunting? Im figuring a bow, arrows, cammo clothing, maby some kind of call, and a good knife?

Is using a treestand the typical method for bow hunting?

Thanks for yer help guys n gals..

#2 ·
Where are you from?

Bow hunting is a great experience. Obviously its more difficult to than rifle hunting, mostly because you have to be within 50 yds (if you're good) to take game. If you're like me, you have to get within 30 yds. Bow hunting also requires a bit more discipline and awareness, which is inherent with getting that close to game, but if you play the wind, and hunt where the game is, you should have success.

Javalina or hogs may be a good start to get into it, since they are not as sensitive/aware as deer, but you will need to buy some equipment to get into it, and if you want to be ready by January, I would buy it now.

I would first suggest going with a compound bow. It seems to have less of a learning curve.

I was fortunate, and found a good used bow for about $150 (came with sight, arrow rest, peep sight, stabilizer), but if you go new, you could spend anywhere from $300 to $1000 on a new bow and accessories. If you buy a cheap combo, you can always upgrade components later. To get something descent, thats new, I would estimate spending around $500, but preach might know better. In any case, I would go to an archery shop, check out a few bow packages, and see what you like or what you think you will like.

There are a lot of things to consider when buying a bow so see what fits you. Look at pounds of pull, velocity, cam configuration, draw length, etc. Don't feel like you need 90 lbs of pull, b/c most of the time you don't.

At a minimum you will probly need: Bow, arrow rest, stabilizer, half dozen arrows, sight, peep sight, release, quiver, broadheads, bow case, target (to practice with),etc.

When practicing, don't wear yourself out. A big mistake I first made was shooting my 70lb bow for a couple of hours at a time. All you do is wear yourself out and you start pulling shots. For me its better to go outside, shoot 3 shots, then take at least an hour or two off. Most of the time I just shoot once in the morning, because most of the time, the only shot that counts is the first one.

For hogs, you can kill them from the ground. It seems like they would be one of the easier animals to get into. Also, for feral hogs, baiting is legal in a lot of places, which makes it easier. You don't usually use calls for Hogs, or at least I don't as its more of a spot and stalk affair unless you are hunting over bait (check your local regulations).

Deer are a different animal for sure. You can also kill deer from the ground, but you have to be careful. Again, play the wind, make sure they are not looking at you when you draw.

This hasn't even scratched the surface, but hopefully gives you a starting place. I'm sure others will chime in.

#3 ·
Welcome to the addiction of bowhunting. I have been a rifle hunter most my life and just getting into archery. I must say that I love it as it is a completely different animal then carrying a rifle. As far as your questions, some of them are really for you to answer yourself. I don't think there is a really a right and wrong way to get into big game hunting but going off experience, I would say that if you start out as a bow hunter you will be a better hunter overall. Looking back, I kinda wish I had went that route but then again, I wouldn't trade any of my experiences for the world. Rough estimate of your investment depends on your budget and how serious you are about it. For me, all I needed was the bow and such as I already had all the other gear necessary but I would say if you said roughly $1000 and you should be fine. That would get you a decent bow set up, the clothing you need, binos etc. That kinda answers your next question as well. Depending on what and where you are hunting you will need your bow with sight, quiver, arrows etc and well as your camo clothes, boots, knife, probably binos and a rangefinder. For your last question, it again comes down to what and where you are hunting. I personally have never hunted from a treestand but that is just how I grew up hunting. I would say that if you are just getting started that you first get the neccesities and then maybe buy a tree stand the following year or something. Hope this helps a bit and good luck!

#4 ·
GroundSwatter said:
There are a lot of things to consider when buying a bow so see what fits you. Look at pounds of pull, velocity, cam configuration, draw length, etc. Don't feel like you need 90 lbs of pull, b/c most of the time you don't.

Hows this sound:

BROWNING BRIDGER II COMPOUND BOW WITH ARROW WAIST HOLDER AND GLOVE. APPROX LET-OFF % AT 60,STRING LENGTH AT 32,PRESET AT 28 INCHES, AND ADJUSTABLE RANGE AT 25-28 INCHES 30-50LBS. NEW DRAW STRING. ASKING $125.00

I found it tonight in my local craigslist. I want something that I can use on Javelina all the way up to bear and elk, ya know..

Thanks a million for the detailed info fellas..I truly apreciate it.

BTW, im from New Mexico.

#5 ·
30-50lbs almost sounds like a youth or a target shooting bow. I'm not saying you can't kill any of those animals with 50lbs, but depending on how big you are, you may want to get a bow that goes from 50-70lbs.

Please take my advice with a grain of salt, as I am no expert, hopefully Preach will chime in since he works at a bow shop, but if I were you that might be my next stop. Even if you don't buy a bow there, I'm sure you can get a lot of info from the guy behind the counter.

#7 ·
Although I'm a pretty new hunter myself, I've been tagging along with my husband on his hunts for almost 10 years. He has tried for years and years to get me to pick up a bow and I just never thought I was interested. Well, he finally talked me into this summer. His dad switched from compound to a recurve because of his age and some health issues so I got his hand-me-down. I swear once I picked up it up I was hooked. I was practicing every single day out in the backyard. It took me awhile to actually start grouping the arrows but with time and lots of practice it happens. I went on my first deer archery hunt a couple months ago with an over-the-counter tag hunt. It was also the first time either of us had used a tree stand. He usually archery hunts from the ground and has been successful with that. I wouldn't limit myself to a stand or the ground, but if you can have both as options. The stand was amazing though.

I guess the $$ part depends on if you buy used or new. I would probably go used for your first bow to make sure you even like archery hunting. Add a release and some great hiking boots into your mix and a javelina call which in the right situation can get them to come in. If you scout, you will find creek bottoms that the pigs regularly use and this is a good place to hunt from. Or you can spot and stalk. Even here in the desert they do not have to drink very regularly so setting up by a tank can be hard.

Also know your limit yardage-wise. For me I'm comfortable at 30 yards, although I can group good at 40. I was at a hunting seminar and the guy said know your limit and make sure you practice that plus an additional 10 yards because once you are out in the field you may be tempted to take the extra 10 yard shot. He also said practice every day up until the week or two before the hunt. At that time start practicing with one shot per hour. He said he watches TV and on commercial goes out and shoots only one arrow because on a real hunt it is the first shot that counts. You don't get 4-5 shots. If your real lucky you may get a second but that is doubtful. Also, practice shooting in all different positions (standing, kneeling, next to trees, in a stand, etc).

Practice, practice, and more practice and always pay close attention to the wind direction.

#8 ·
IMO, this is all good advice. Also check out ebay for some really good deals on packages. I'm a fan of Mathews bows, but I don't want to start an argument here- just my opinion. They're quiet, reliable, and comfortable. You can pretty much hunt anywhere legally with a 50 lb draw or better, (most places 45 lb for deer) so don't worry too much about that. Even if you're in good shape, pulling a bow uses very different muscles, especially with a release, so make sure you go with a comfortable draw weight you can pull easily- you don't want to be up a tree with a deer 15 yds away and have to contort your whole upper body to draw. Most of all, good luck and have fun- it really is an addiction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.