Archery vs. Muzzleloader

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Archery vs. Muzzleloader

Postby IdahoSkies » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Well, since the waterfowl bug has hit me I have come to the realization that my general season deer hunting days are over. I like those ducks to much to give up a day of duck hunting to head up into the mountains to hunt deer. So I have a dilemma. Idaho has early season hunts August through September, and depending on location they are either muzzleloader or Archery hunts. (Most also have the option of concurrent elk hunts as well). I have been a big game rifle hunter exclusivly. I've never gone archery or muzzleloader hunting. I have an older bow which I have shot around in the yard and am a decent shot.

I would like some advice about which type of hunt I should look into. I don't have the cash to prepare for both next year. Those of you out there who have tried and done both I'd like to hear your opinions on the two and what would you do. Thanks.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Re: Archery vs. Muzzleloader

Postby MissedAgain » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:56 am

Do you want to "hunt" or just shoot something? I hunt deer to put meat in the freezer, sport & hunting is not my main consideration - the first couple legal deer fall and then I find something else to do until the birds open up.

IMHO - Archery is all about "hunting" while muzzleloader will allow you to shoot the deer that you need to pass on when archery hunting.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby IdahoSkies » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:40 pm

I am not a trophy hunter. I usually put in for a doe tag during rifle season. I am more into eating what I kill than hanging what I kill on the wall (though if a good trophy buck walked by me and I had a tag for him I certainly wouldn't pass him up).
IdahoSkies
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:21 pm

MissedAgain wrote:Do you want to "hunt" or just shoot something? I hunt deer to put meat in the freezer, sport & hunting is not my main consideration - the first couple legal deer fall and then I find something else to do until the birds open up.

IMHO - Archery is all about "hunting" while muzzleloader will allow you to shoot the deer that you need to pass on when archery hunting.

I can agree with this.

Archery hunting will make you a better hunter, but there is a learning curve. Everything from shooting the bow to how you approach animals. Unless you're just an awesome shot, anything outside of 30-40 yds is off limits. Modern Muzzleloaders are pretty accurate, and the learning curve isn't as steep, especially if you're used to rifle hunting.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:53 pm

MissedAgain wrote:IMHO - Archery is all about "hunting" while muzzleloader will allow you to shoot the deer that you need to pass on when archery hunting.

Agree. If you are wanting more of a challenge, go archery. Muzzleloaders go a little over 100 yards...archery 40ish. It makes a difference trying to get that close for archery. If you strictly want meat, go muzzleloader.
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby goosetalker18 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:09 pm

Naturegirl wrote:
MissedAgain wrote:IMHO - Archery is all about "hunting" while muzzleloader will allow you to shoot the deer that you need to pass on when archery hunting.

Agree. If you are wanting more of a challenge, go archery. Muzzleloaders go a little over 100 yards...archery 40ish. It makes a difference trying to get that close for archery. If you strictly want meat, go muzzleloader.

Only 100 yards what are you shooting you not shooting a thompson center pro hunter with a 3-12x50 on it. Mines dead on at 100 yards and iv made shots over 160 with it. I also shoot it alot during the summer and am very comfertable with it.
goosetalker18
hunter

Postby meathead » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Depending on what you buy, a modern muzzleloader can reach out just about as far as you could ever want to. There is as little difference between muzzleloader and rifle hunting as you want there to be with the new electronic ignition systems...gotta elastic band a plastic sandwhich bag over the barell on wet days that's about it. If you are in it for the meat, muzzleload...if you're in it for the sport it's your call.
meathead
hunter

Return to Big Game