BLEEDING A DEER

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Re: BLEEDING A DEER

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed May 19, 2010 6:37 am

don taylor wrote:Rick, do I have to dig up harvest reports? Last time I checked, we shot a quarter million deer in my state alone last year. We have no limit on purchasing doe tags in many parts of the state and have DMAP which allows farmers to shoot them at will.

You aren't killing more deer in the south, period. I'll give you ducks, but I'm from the wrong state to discuss deer harvests with a southerner who wants to talk volume.

Quick search shows that you underbid that by 58,920 not counting poached deer, but who's counting
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby don taylor » Wed May 19, 2010 6:43 am

Sorry, I meant to say 250,000 doe, not deer. We were closer to 350,000 for total harvest.

I did look at Mississippi, and they had a much higher harvest than I had expected, not trailing by much. That said, 20 years ago, we were hammering them and southerners were hardly on the map. It isn't that your neck of the woods hasn't killed them, its been only recently that you have begun to get some big numbers.

I still doubt that many southern states compete with Mississippi, but I've devoted enough time to it already, so I'm leaving it be.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed May 19, 2010 6:45 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunt ... id=3999776

Looks like Texas and Alabama is leading the pack...

Texas had a good season for numbers, with approximately 400,000 whitetails killed out of a herd estimated at 3.9 million, but what has Lone Star State hunters talking these days is not so much the past but the future.....

Next door in Alabama, Deer Study Project Leader Chris Cook says that the returns aren't in from the 2008-2009 seasons, but he expects the harvest to be "about average."

"We don't have any way of recording exactly how many deer are killed each year, but we do send out hunter survey forms and extrapolate some answers from that," Cook said. "We haven't gotten any of the surveys back yet, but we expect that they will indicate an average year, with about 420,000 deer harvested. That represents about 30,000 more deer than the previous year, but 2007-2008 wasn't a particularly good season for a couple of reasons.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Wed May 19, 2010 9:21 am

You guys have it good. If you want to find a deer here you have to look in a pile of wolf $h!t. :mad:
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed May 19, 2010 10:33 am

don taylor wrote:Sorry, I meant to say 250,000 doe, not deer. We were closer to 350,000 for total harvest.

I did look at Mississippi, and they had a much higher harvest than I had expected, not trailing by much. That said, 20 years ago, we were hammering them and southerners were hardly on the map. It isn't that your neck of the woods hasn't killed them, its been only recently that you have begun to get some big numbers.

I still doubt that many southern states compete with Mississippi, but I've devoted enough time to it already, so I'm leaving it be.

Probably best you do leave it, because you're as wrong about 20 years ago as today, though the Southern states probably didn't have as good of a handle on their numbers as the North, where deer had to be checked in. When I left the Ohio Valley, limits were just starting to open up from one per season to one per method in some places. When I got here, the limit was 6, and they didn't even have to be tagged, let alone checked. And I'm pretty sure parts of South Carolina were already one antlered (not "-less") deer a day for their months (plural) long gun season.

None of which is to say there aren't a pile of deer in the North, just to support the original statement you wanted to counter with PA's exceptional-for-the-North situation:
...venison is a Southern staple with most states having limits most Northern deer hunters can only dream of.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby drew1095hc » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:48 pm

I just figured on adding my .02....I have been a butcher for 18 years...and i live in Texas....We always quarter and ice chest the deer or hogs adding ice and draining the water daily....You don't want to soak the meat as much as let the ice melt over it and draining away the water and blood....I processed usda inspected meats so using the coolers at work is not an option.....The small amount of water in the bottom of the chest has never hurt anything and none of us have yet to get sick from this process. Opening day this year i took a buck at 930 in the morning..it was 48 degrees...by lunchtime it was 85 degrees so in the absents of a walk in cooler it is really the only option for bleeding....I do know several old timers that will not bleed the animal because they like the flavor of the wild game more with it....I believe it to be a matter of taste so i don't think anyone is wrong here.
drew1095hc
Newb

Postby MissedAgain » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 pm

This has been a good topic.

I always wondered why some meat was more flavorful (gamey) than others. My venison rarely comes out strong tasting.

When I lived up north, we hung the deer as long as the weather permitted. Then for some reason I had to butcher a deer the same day and it was just as good as the hung meat. Probably because I shoot does, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm one of the guys who keeps the meat in a cooler with ice and the drain open...in the tub for4 as long as it takes for me to get them all processed... Got 6 in GA last year and it took me a week to get all the meat processed. I'm hoping for a repeat this year.

What's the big deal with brown veison? Not everyone wants to eat the blood.
What duck?
MissedAgain
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:14 am

So how many tags do you guys get? In Ont, Canada, we get somewhere between 3-8 a year.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:07 pm

In cold weather I hang mine for a few to several days. In warm weather we skin and quarter and I keep my old fridge that I put in the pole barn tool room cranked on high during warm weather so the hams, shoulders,ribs, neck roast, loins etc can be placed in garbage bags and kept cold until I am ready to process. If I decide to use an ice chest I don't use ice but instead take frozen hams or shoulders and place under, between and on top of the meat to be cooled. It stays frozen much longer than ice and I don't have my meat getting waterlogged. :yes:

Doesn't shooting and gutting a deer pretty much bleed it? :huh:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Previous

Return to Big Game