Elk hunting in the rain

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Elk hunting in the rain

Postby mjlduckman » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:18 pm

Do any of you experienced elk hunters have any recommendations for hunting the big wapiti in the rain. I hunt in western washington and last weekend it just poured all day saturday and tapered off on sunday, should've went duckhunting instead. I tried sitting, still hunting and spotting with no luck. I've hunted elk for a few years now but still have a lot learn about their habits and hangouts. We hunt the timber country with clearcuts, new growth and old growth with rivers and drainages running through it all and no agriculture/pasture to speak of. Any help will be much appreciated, gonna give it another whirl this weekend. I thought about floating the river through remote roadless areas and still hunting from there?
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Postby hm_palmer » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:56 pm

I've been hunting elk for about 6 years now and I have found that the rain does not bother them much but usually the first couple snows of the season they just bed down and dont really move around. If you ever need a partner to go elk hunting with let me know i'd love to try for an elk out here. I'm from Idaho originally but havent hunted much except ducks here in WA.
hm_palmer
hunter

Return to Big Game