Smokepoling black bears.

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Smokepoling black bears.

Postby cut_un » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:51 pm

I have a spring bear booked in Canada next spring and it's my desire to kill one with black powder. What I'm shooting is the TC Encore. (Not scoped). Most of my deer hunting is in the thick stuff . Shots out to about 40 yards is the norm, most are under 25. This is the second season that I've hunting with this gun and have planted two deer this season . One at 30 yds. the other at 15 steps. Both mature bucks. My question ..and my concern is both deer were taken with a shot down through this front shoulders . The first fell in it's tracks , the second only walked 10 feet. Can't ask for more that that???? I've found both bullets, still in the deer, one laying against the inside of the rib cage, the other had broken the ribs and was laying against the skin,( Exit side) They both had made a mess inside but no exit?? I'm shooting power belt bullets and am using 100 grs .( triple seven pellets) '2' They are mushrooming like crazy but that "no exit " close range has me thinking???? Also, do you think I should scope it out before I go. Thanks means a shot out to 40/45 yrds tops. Do you think I'd be hunting my chances by not scoping it? Thanks for your advise !
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby txnhunter » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:56 am

hey first question what caliber are you shootin .50 right. then it all depends on the terrain your gonna be huntin in canda. if ur huntin a bait pile probably wont need a scope. never hurts but not really necessary.
we didnt get to the top of the food chain by bein vegetarians
txnhunter
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:33 pm

We can get some big black bears around NB and NS so if you are hunting with a front stuffer remember that they do not do the same damage as a cartridge gun does. !00 grains of FFG topped with a 450 grain REAL bullet will exit a 280 lb bruin shot thru the ribs just behind the shoulders out of my Lyman Trade Rifle. And think about this, if the bullet passes completely thru the game what good is its energy doing?
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby cut_un » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:09 pm

Yes, I am shooting a 50 cal and we will be hunting over bait piles.I'm sure the distance is not a problem, but if that bear weights in over 200 lbs. then that's alot more body weight than thay gun has ever tackled!
What bullet would you bear hunters use as if I do scope it out , then may as well work it up together!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby txnhunter » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:00 am

always go with the powerbelt. its pretty good for distance and your getting the caliber you paid for. the sobots have tht little plastic jacket which takes away from the caliber and. you have to cleann ur smoke pole more often because the plastic get stuck in ur bore.
we didnt get to the top of the food chain by bein vegetarians
txnhunter
hunter

Return to Big Game