Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Scentlok??

Postby Bano11 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:16 am

does it work?
Bano11
hunter

Re: Scentlok??

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:36 am

I own no scent control clothing (unless you want to count my rubber booots), and i've asked the same question many times. In my opinion, basic scent control is more effective than scent control clothing. Just keep yourself clean, leave your clothes OUTSIDE, getting in to cold clothes sucks but smelling like cigar smoke and bacon grease sucks worse. I leave my clothes in a big rubbermaid, outside, lid off, with a bunch of branches and dirt all throughout the season, when I smell them before i put them on they smell like those black scent waffers. I shower the day that i go up to hunt and typically don't shower the rest of the weekend because we dont have one where i hunt. I carry a bottle of Primos silver XP in my pack that I hose down with every once in awhile.I get close to a lot of deer and seldom have deer lock up if they cross my entry path. I often notice when i'm in the tree the air coming up out of my jacket smells very earthy, its a good feeling. I always dress light to the stand, if i'm sweating or just feel warm when i get there i'm worried, heat is scent. If this means wearing a T-shirt to the tree I do so. I know guys who own scentlok and few if any say they consistanly notice a difference. When in doubt chew some copenhagen, deer love it.
Bill Herian
hunter

Re: Scentlok??

Postby assateague » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:44 pm

Bill Herian wrote:I own no scent control clothing (unless you want to count my rubber booots), and i've asked the same question many times. In my opinion, basic scent control is more effective than scent control clothing. Just keep yourself clean, leave your clothes OUTSIDE, getting in to cold clothes sucks but smelling like cigar smoke and bacon grease sucks worse. I leave my clothes in a big rubbermaid, outside, lid off, with a bunch of branches and dirt all throughout the season, when I smell them before i put them on they smell like those black scent waffers. I shower the day that i go up to hunt and typically don't shower the rest of the weekend because we dont have one where i hunt. I carry a bottle of Primos silver XP in my pack that I hose down with every once in awhile.I get close to a lot of deer and seldom have deer lock up if they cross my entry path. I often notice when i'm in the tree the air coming up out of my jacket smells very earthy, its a good feeling. I always dress light to the stand, if i'm sweating or just feel warm when i get there i'm worried, heat is scent. If this means wearing a T-shirt to the tree I do so. I know guys who own scentlok and few if any say they consistanly notice a difference. When in doubt chew some copenhagen, deer love it.

+1. Exactly what Bill said. Add to that the Scentlok type products are uncomfortable and COLD, and I won't use them.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Return to Big Game