Frozen Solid, what to do.

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Frozen Solid, what to do.

Postby Penguine » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:27 am

Here is my dilema. On 30 Nov 05 I shot a small buck up in the Black Hills of South Dakota. When I got him home it was cold, about 5 F. I went ahead and skinned him, pulled a game bag up around him, and hung him in my car port. I planned to cut him up on the 6th. Well, it is now 7 December and I still have this FROZEN SOLID deer hanging in my car port. It has been below freezing since about 7pm on 30 Nov. There is no way I can cut this beast up while frozen. This weekend it is supposed to get up to about 40F and then drop down to below freezing again at the start of next week. Two days of 40 is not going to be enough to thaw this beast out for processing. I don't really want to bring him in my house cause once he does thaw he is going to drip blood all over and start to smell funky. So, I was thinking about taking him to get him processed in to sausage. Thoughts? I think the only issue with taking him to get him processed is that I have him skinned, I cut his legs off below the knees to bag him, and the tag was attached to the hind leg. The legs have since been thrown out. So...
Penguine
hunter

Postby poacher » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:19 pm

not sure of the processing laws in your area but, the butcher can thaw slowly and then process. I had the same issue last year. Actually, if you plan to cut steaks, do it yourself while frozen, its the easiest way for a clean cut. get a 24" meat saw, and saw those back legs, saw the backstraps into chops etc. In a conversation with my butcher last year he said the meat can be thawed once for processing without an issue. Check out cabelas for the meat saw.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:19 pm

use a sawzall (reciprocating saw)

They work great when doing deer IMO.

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby C_DUbb » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:26 pm

Cut him up. I agree, cutting meat that is partialy frozen makes for nice easy clean and clean cutting job.

While I worked at a local butcher shop we welcomed the chance to cut up on a partial frozen carcas.

The only down side I can think of.......... COLD FINGERS

Good luck
C Dubb
Callem in your face close!!
And
Do em
UGLY!!!
C_DUbb
hunter

Postby poacher » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:02 am

Oh yes, the sawzall works great. I use the cordless 18 volt dewalt. I found that the wood blade cuts easier than the metal blade.

poacher
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:40 pm

I wish I could have that problem. When we kill a deer we have to get the guts out get it cut up and on ice before it ruins. I killed one last weekend and it was 80 degrees. However when I get ready to cut steaks out of a quarter I put it in the freezer its easier to cut and less messy. :thumbsup:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby poacher » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:56 pm

I shot a 4 point on friday, butchered it that night so it wouldnt freeze! i set the hind end aside for a holiday feast at the local chinese restaraunt. along w/ a dozen ducks. i have reservations for 30 if you care to join.

poacher
hunter

Postby Penguine » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:16 pm

well he thawed enough to cut him up. Did so and then promptly ground up the entire deer into hamburger. Heh.. I know have half a freezer of deer burger.
Penguine
hunter

Return to Big Game