Lifetime license for jellybean

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Lifetime license for jellybean

Postby Carolina Pride » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:50 am

Just trying to get some outside opinions. My wife and I have been debating on if we should go ahead and get my little girl a lifetime hunting and fishing license. My thinking is go ahead and do it. If I get them before she turns 1 its 250. If I wait it will double or triple. I pay close to 100 every year for mine. My wife thinks we should wait to see if that's something she will be into. I don't think that will be an issue. I'm looking at the money side of if. Any and all opinions will be apperciated.
Carolina Pride
hunter

Re: Lifetime license for jellybean

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:37 am

risk to reward.

do it now and you either waste 250 or save 500(assuming a lifetime boutght later cost triple like you say)

but it in a few years for 750 compared to 0 if she doesn't hunt or 3000 if she hunts for 30 years on an annual.

so your options are:

spend 0-no hunting
spend 250-she can always hunt
spend 750-she can always hunt
spend 3000-she can hunt for 30 years

if you can afford it, it seems like a safe bet to play, risk 250 to save 2750.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:04 pm

$250 seems worth the gamble, since it goes to the conservation dept anyways. Even if they change the rules or she turns out not liking hunting, the money went to state wildlife.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:50 pm

also, its not like the cost of any license will ever go down. i always look at it like its as cheap as its going to get.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby meathead » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:00 am

$250 is going to seem like a serious bargain by the time she grows up. Even if you just take her fishing a couple times a year from now until she heads off on her own, you'll end up paying more just for yearly fishing licsenses. A decade from now, I bet just the yearly lic. will cost near that much.
meathead
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:19 am

meathead wrote:A decade from now, I bet just the yearly lic. will cost near that much.

i don't know about that but it will go up, especially the lifetime. ours(adult) jumped from 1000 to 1800 in one year. i'd hate to see the next jump.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby Carolina Pride » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and got them for her. My wife was mad at first but she forgave me. Guess my grandpa was right. Its easier to get forgiveness than get permission. I got her the unified sportsman. She can hunt and fish anywhere or anything in nc. The only thing she has to get is her duck stamp every year. Wished they would do a lifetime duck stamp. Sure would make things easier.
Carolina Pride
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:13 pm

i think years down the road you'll see this as a good choice. even if she falls away for awhile she can always start back up.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby Carolina Pride » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:09 am

That's the same thing I thought. My dad was telling that when I was born that he thought about getting me lifetime license but couldn't justify spending the money. They were $50.00 at the time now I pay close to $100.00 a year to hunt. If all she does is fish one time a year for the next 30 years it will pay for itself.
Carolina Pride
hunter

Postby Eric J09 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:36 pm

This is a NO BRAINER for me every kid I have I wont be able to get the money out of my pocket quick enough due the fact of paying over $100 every year like you said. So I would definitely do it.
Eric J09
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Wow, that's nothing to pay for a lifetime license. I would pick it up. I pay about $300 a year just to hunt and fish my state a year. I live in Washington State.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby ihuntbetterthanyou » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:25 am

That's awesome. She's a lucky kid. I think Cotton Cordell said it best "First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything."
If it flies it dies, if it's walkin' my guns talkin', if it bites the hook it's big enough to cook.
ihuntbetterthanyou
hunter

Return to Big Game