Goat Hunt

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Goat Hunt

Postby firebird » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:06 pm

Here are some pics from my once-in-a-lifetime (in Utah State) mtn. goat hunt. Spent four days above 10,000 feet in some of the prettiest country I've ever been in. Killed the billy with my .300win mag at 300 yards. We saw shootable goats every day but I was trying to kill a male with good hair and good horns but wanted to kill him in a good spot, where a fall wouldn't destroy the hide and horns or pulverize the meat. The meat which we packed all of out of the unit is being processed into salami and jerky, which coincidentally is what I do with most my waterfowl as well. I killed the goat at 12,500 feet in a shale avalanche chute and he only rolled about 60 yards-hence the dirt and blood. We packed in on mules which made the trip so comfortable. I packed extra gear and food and we all really had a great time. Fishing was outstanding in the high lakes and only a couple other friendly campers\fishermen. Three of us packed out the hide and meat on frame packs and even in the rough rocks was a fun job. Truly a great experience, too bad I can't do it more often!
Attachments
loading Maybell.jpg
Unloading Maybell the mule after a long darn ride!
goats on cliff.jpg
Three billy goats gruff hanging out in the shale
camp.jpg
good view from camp
Jons goat.jpg
Johns goat.jpg
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Re: Goat Hunt

Postby meathead » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:36 pm

Congratulations man! Looks like beautiful country and a great time.
meathead
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:22 am

Congrats!! Looks like a great place.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby ihuntbetterthanyou » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:08 am

I hope by most into salami and jerky you really mean all of it.
If it flies it dies, if it's walkin' my guns talkin', if it bites the hook it's big enough to cook.
ihuntbetterthanyou
hunter

Return to Big Game