Deer Scent

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Deer Scent

Postby Grouse » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:16 pm

If I was to drag scent a area the night before hunting do you think it would be still "smelling" the following morn?
Keep in mind temps at night will be in the 20's and high 30's at day.
any advice is welcome
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Re: Deer Scent

Postby side-slippin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:34 pm

how much moisture is in the air/ on the ground? is it humid where your at?
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby Grouse » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:43 pm

Now theres a nice frost that may melt off in mid morn. Other than that pretty normal for nov in Wisconsin.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby Grouse » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:46 pm

We call it crisp :smile:
Grouse
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:10 am

I would guess that the frost forming and then melting would wash it away.

Now, dragging a rag on your way out could amp up the deer activity in the area overnight and those deer would lay scent in your area that might last till the morning. From what I understand the does down here are pretty much bred and the deer are in a "not quite post rut but really winding down" phase. Up in Bayfield Co where I hunt most does will come into esturs yesterday through monday. I hunted all day last friday-sat-sun and saw zero buck/doe interaction. Does still had fawns with them, just browsing along, bucks were just walking around with no real sense of urgency. Thats why I wish we could bow hunt during rifle seaon. The rut dosent even get going until rifle season and I see all sorts of great bow bucks but nothing I feel like shooting with the rifle. If I were you I would drag a rag in the morning, there should still be at least a couple does around here that will cycle late. Blast a big one.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:24 am

sorry about the confusion; i didn't mean right now, i was referencing when you drag the scent... all of the things i mentioned will play a part in how long your scent stays active. obviously the more active the deer are, the more deer you'll have come in contact with the scent; which is what you want. but i was never a big fan of draggin scent on my way out, of course deer are most active at night, so you might have on come across your scent during the night and hang around; but then you will probably bust him out of the area on your way in in the morning. i would always drag my scent on the way to my stand when i hunted, and of course this is most productive during pre-rut and post-rut. the rest of the time i set-up on funnels and just outside bedding areas. make sure you watch your wind though
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby Grouse » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks guys I ended up doing it tonight Ill let ya know how it works. Every one in wisco GOOD LUCK :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
Grouse
hunter

Return to Big Game