Duck Hunting Forum banner

Hog spot / stalk tips?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  FMFdevildoc 
#1 ·
I have been on a hog hunt before, nailed one hog and fixing to try & whack another.

Now I have (successfully) put the stalk on and killed a few animals before... Im doing homework on hogs and I have a hunt planned in a place I've scouted in California.

Now specific to pigs, anyone have any interesting observations to share about them? From what I know, they have mediocre eyesight and excellent sense of smell. Planning to do the obvious; hunt in evening and sunrise, stick near water and forage and cover / camp / concealment. Taking my PSE bow out, bringing the rifle too in the event I can't make a close enough stalk.

Any tips you have or pig - specific habits, behaviors, etc. you may have & are willing to share?

#2 ·
My tips for you. I chase them with my bow pretty regular during the summer months.

They can't hardly see or hear for crap.

Only rule with pig hunting to abide by............ Keep the wind in your favor and you can't go wrong. They smell really, really good.

If you spook them, they generally calm down pretty quickly and are easy to catch up with.

If you watch them for a long period and then go after them 9 out of 10 times they will back track over the same trail they have been using once you shoot one of them (this makes it easy to run the bunch down again)

#3 ·
Thanks - that's what I have been finding to be the consensus with these critters. I haven't put the sneak on one yet, last swine I shot was an outright assassination; we waited till they came to drink out of the stockpond by the orchard & boom = dead swine.

Incidentally, I've been blessed with the fortune of a depredation hunt of sorts. Pigs have been destroying the landscape at a friend's place of employment and I've been asked to thin the population. The caretakers of the property have their habits down to when they have noontime coffee break.

So while Im reluctant to do a "no fun" hunt (these pigs on the private land aren't scared of people at all) I certainly will not ever regret sinking an arrow broadside into a pig @ under 30-40 yards.

So this private land deal will be more of a pre-meditated assassination, the public land hunt will be one ill have to work at. Nonetheless it looks like swine is on the radar!! PS - once I figure how to load pics from the android phone I will post a pic of the sow that lives on the back forty of this land... healthy and fat looking old bag!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.