Duck Hunting Forum banner

Deer behavior after being busted / archery?

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  FMFdevildoc 
#1 ·
Posted a story in the California forum, about having missed a pretty big buck yesterday... The summarized version is that I have returned to archery hunting, after not having used a bow for many years. Made a sneak on a buck, shot an arrow directly below him due to some "rookie" error aligning my sight pins. Had this been a rifle hunt, this buck would've been graveyard dead FOR SURE - as I was able to get within bow distance, 'nuff said.

I spooked this deer out of a meadow, circled around the meadow and creeped slowly along where I thought he would have headed. Upon returning, I ran into him a 2nd time - he hadn't left that area and was within 300-500 yards of where I initially saw him & shot at him. By this point, it was a lost cause - I was open / exposed and had roughly 3-500 yards of peagravel to "sneak" on. I tried my best and made it to within 100 yards or so, then ended up just watching him walk away and the sun set.

-I have done fairly well with rifle, had this been a rifle hunt, I would've had him "dead X2" with the shot opportunities.

So my question, as this is something 'new' to me:
- Do deer usually stick in the same area after being busted vs. ?? I have seen plenty of deer take off like bats out of hell, never to be seen again as well of course...
- I am trying to re-play this hunt; should I have circled around the meadow and covered down in some brush, to see if he would eventually emerge from the meadow? Obviously, he went into the thick cover and stayed there for about an hour.

Perhaps if I had been more patient or calculated, I would have made the kill... I'm just reviewing the scenario over again in my head, as I will be able to hit this same spot in 2 weeks. I have it pretty well scouted and the deer are always without fail in this meadow...
Regardless, it was a great day and a great hunt despite my fail-factor.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know what kind of deer you are hunting but my guess is it's gonna take more than blowing the roost to get him gone. Go back, why leave an area where you know there is a big deer to find new ground that might not?

There is prbably a billion variables that are going to play a part but I would'nt give up on him.

Pics when you kill him. :beer:

#3 ·
This one is a mature white tail, in a well maintained agricultural / creekbed area. You're absolutely right, as this little deer herd stays in the neighborhood. There's been plenty of water and old Farmer Fred has been growing attractive crops since spring. I think most likley i simply tried to get way too tactical and didn't keep it simple.

Deers like cover, shade, water, food - 'nuff said.

I have spooked off plenty deer, havent missed any one that I've shot at with a rifle so this next was new. He will be there and godwilling he will be there next Saturday. Name of the game will be simplicity & calculated moves + not missing.

Thanks Bill, lord knows i want some meat in the freezer and bragging rights naturally. In the end simply being able to make another hunt is a blessing and beats a poke in the eye.

#5 ·
Correction - Blacktail deer, which is essentially a sub-specie of a muley. I know the difference and ignorantly use the term interchang

Yes, you're correct, I also have failed to adapt to the "California way" of saying a '5 point buck' isnt a 10 point. In other words, counting one side vs. two vs. the term '5x5'. My Farmer Fred location is in California, Yolo County somewheres... this deer may die, ideally via. a fatal dose of carbon express arrow next Saturday.

I really want to make a black / white / California reference now, havent got anything clever with racial undertones at the mment.moment.

#6 ·
From your story on the CA forum it sounds like you got the hook up on this bucks "home" on private land. In my experience he won't be going anywhere. Circling around on a 1/4 mile loop is pretty common for deer, if they don't know what happened they will move and try to wind whatever it was that scared them. If he just walked off the 2nd time I'd say you should be fine. He might be a little more cautious, but if you watch your wind direction and make a good sneak he should be still pretty unwary. You were probably the first thing to disturb him human wise is quite a while, and they get spooked every day by mountain lions, coyotes, whatever. Good luck, post some pics when you get the son of a gun!

#7 ·
Circling around on a 1/4 mile loop is pretty common for deer, if they don't know what happened they will move and try to wind whatever it was that scared them. If he just walked off the 2nd time I'd say you should be fine.

That theory is what I was looking for; more or less some experience folks have had with these critters. The handful of rifle hunts I have either conducted or been a party to have been fairly straightforward, fell into three categories:

1) Found 'em, killed 'em :sniper: :hammer:
2) Didn't see so much as a deer turd pile... :mad:
3) Saw 'em, proceeded to chase shadowy figures for hours or completely busted them :fingerhead:

Had it been one of these three results? Well, 'nuff said...

This whole archery pursuit is damn challenging, yet all very worthwhile. I can NOT WAIT for the satisfaction of putting the sneak on a deer and killing him. True to form, once rifle season comes I will probably switch my tune :lol3: I havent made a large animal kill with a bow yet & this will most likely result in me embarking upon another completely neurotic and obssessive hunting spree. I have went after other quarry with a bow before, took a long break and I am hoping this can be my 'triumphant return'.

To be continued...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.