baiting

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

baiting

Postby Zack87 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:47 pm

I'm thinking of setting up a bait sight on private land now. It's sept 4 and the season opens in nov. is it too late? I haven't done any scouting on this private land so I'm not sure what to think or use. Any help.
Zack87
hunter

Re: baiting

Postby rmh » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:57 pm

What will you be baiting?

Be aware of your state laws, doesn't matter whether it's private land or not, in most states the Wildlife Conservation Officers/Game wardens/whatever other new name they have don't have to follow the exact same regulations on probable cause or search warrants other law enforcement agencies do.

States vary on baiting, in PA a salt lick is considered baiting and is illegal while in MD it's legal to shoot over one.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby Zack87 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Its ct and you can bait on private labd
Zack87
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:19 am

Zack87 wrote:I'm thinking of setting up a bait sight on private land now. It's sept 4 and the season opens in nov. is it too late? I haven't done any scouting on this private land so I'm not sure what to think or use. Any help.

Definately not to late. If you are dumping it on the ground then anything like milo/corn/rice bran(my favorite) will work as long as there is sign in the area. You have to scout a little before you start putting it out because if the deer aren't using the area already then you will just be feeding the coons
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:54 am

I usually try to start at least a couple of weeks before the season, but it is never too late.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby mallardman2256 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:59 pm

i started baiting the week before the opener and had over 600 pics by the next saturday. now i cant keep a 50 lb sack of corn out for longer than 48 hrs. i hunt in LA and the smoke it down here if you put it out they will come
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Learn to hunt and you won't need to bait......................... :thumbsup:
dakotashooter2
hunter

baiting

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:48 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Learn to hunt and you won't need to bait......................... :thumbsup:

I'd love to not have to bait deer! The problem is that if I don't and everyone else is, I am wasting my time. I have a protein feeder that i don't hunt over that goes out every spring and stays out until around mid October. I put a camera on it periodically to see what kind of bucks I have coming to it. I can always tell when everyone else is putting out corn and rice bran due to the number of deer that quit coming to the protein. When the neighboring lands was a hunting club and they didn't start baiting until mid October, my deer didn't stop eating the protein until then. Now that it's all private ownership, most start baiting around the 1st of September and my regular deer numbers drop off at my protein feeder. I go from 150 pounds of protein a week to about 50 pounds every week and a half now. If my neighbors would spend the money on the protein when the deer need it instead of the corn and rice bran, it would drastically improve our herd. But if the deer relocate due to the corn that suddenly becomes available, I have to do something to keep them around as well. By the way, I also plant spring and fall food plots as well.

Also I should point out that my protein feeder is in the center of the area that I hunt and we do not hunt anywhere near our protein locations.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby mallardman2256 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:51 am

i dont think this guy quite understands LA lol
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Return to Big Game