Optics Poll/Question

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Optics Poll/Question

Postby lumpy2181 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:51 pm

Hey everyone, I am looking to get back into deer hunting after about 10 years out of the game. I have decided either a .270 or .308 depending on what the gun store I go to has in stock when I go. My question is: What scope should I put on it? It will be a T/C Venture or Remington M-700 in one of the two calibers I listed above. I will be hunting in NC where 200yds would be a insanely long shot. I am a former Marine and can handle the long shots but I feel something along the lines of a fixed 4X scope would do me the best. I do plan on using this for pig as well. Please give some details to why you suggested what you did. Thanks and I hope everyone fills the freezer this season.

Will
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Re: Optics Poll/Question

Postby ajmorell » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:20 am

Fixed 4x wouldn't be a bad scope, otherwise a 2-7 would probably fit the bill.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:12 pm

ajmorell wrote:Fixed 4x wouldn't be a bad scope, otherwise a 2-7 would probably fit the bill.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

I would go with the .308 too. I don't know what the Rem 700's are like today but I have a older one and its a fine rifle. You could probably save enough buying a used one to pay for the scope.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Wolfe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:13 pm

A leupold would be my pick - what do you want to spend?
Wolfe
hunter

Optics Poll/Question

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:30 am

A leupold VX-III 3x9 is usually a good choice. I have killed many a deer using that style scope on a variety of rifles. For years this was the standard scope that I mounted on every new gun I bought. I've since bumped my scopes on my new rifles up to the same scope, but in a 4.5x14 power. It's just my opinion, but I'd rather have a little more scope than not enough.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby lumpy2181 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:52 am

Looking to spend less on the scope than the rifle. The 2-7 sounds like the best option. If I ever go out to hunt on the plains I will use that to justify a new scope with the right magnification. Thanks for the help guys.
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:49 am

I like the 3-9x as it is the most versatile, but a 2-7 would suit you well also. I am not a big fan of 4x fixed except on my squirrel rifle.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:26 pm

For close quarters hunting like you'll be doing I'd personally go with a .308 for a number of reasons. The gun will typically be shorter and lighter than a .270 making stand hunting easier and there is less recoil even with the lighter gun. Also you can go with heavier projectiles when going after the hogs (typically up to 168gr with the slower 1 in 12" twist of a .308Win barrel) or around 150 for deer...your preference.

As far as optics go, to have a good field of view, good clarity and light transmission and something that will last as long as the rifle and have a warranty worth a crap something like the Leupold Rifleman series for around $200 would be a minimum starting point. Most people spend more on the optics than the rifle (unless it is a custom piece) as most rifles are "accurate enough" but poor optics can make an otherwise good rifle shoot like crap. Along those lines I have seen too many lower end scopes like Swift, Burris, Simmons etc fail miserably- like the reticle falling off it's internal mount and be 45 degrees off square or the objective bell snap off when slightly bumped. This can wind up costing you more in the long run.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Sandman3400 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:57 am

Leupold can't be beat, quality wise. I have had one on my primary deer rifle for almost 30 years, still going strong.
Real men hunt with Chessies!
Sandman3400
hunter

Return to Big Game