Duck Hunting Forum banner

big game in utah

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Sagebrush 
#1 ·
just finished my application for utah big game. I noticed on the draw results and odds page that very few tags are given out to the guys with the most preference points. Then i did some research on the ammount of tags they auction off to the highest bidder. wow! the utah division of wildlife auctions off more tags than they give to the grunt hunters. They only offer six tags in the zone i am trying to get and they sell over 25 tags to the highest bidder that could go to the same zone. I think i lost count at 114 special highest bidder tags for that state. I guess if i want to hunt utah i should play power ball or mega lottery it might be faster.

There are 1500 hunter applying for the six tags, each guy has to buy a license ($80) thats $120,000 for that zone not counting the application fee adds another $15,000 $135,000 for six tags, thats $22,500 per tag. Does any one else know of a state that does that.

And then there are guys with 15 years in that can't get a tag. my mom was right i should have been a doctor.

#2 ·
Unfortunately it is the new age Wildlife program.
It seems several states now manage for revenue rather than wildlife science and average working man's opportunity.
I hunt Oregon(because I'm a resident) and WY because they seem to have a good management system, so far. WY seems to be reactive to changes in there herd make up, far more than most other western states. When they need to lower tags they do it immediately. They don't wait for herds to crash, while trying to continue with a wildlife cash cow, like many states seem to do these days.

#3 ·
:mad:
What is happening in Utah as far as big game goes is really disheartening in Utah!! To other states, beware of a group called Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife (SFW). They are a for profit group that will convince your state they have the answers and slowly convert your wildlife division to go after the money and screw the average joe! With that said, the application process is purely a money making scheme. $10/application and you must buy a hunting license to apply. You used to not have to buy a hunting license until you drew a tag. But the greedy folks seen how much money they were leaving on the table and well, now it's costs more coin for a small chance at a tag. The state sells off many tags to the highest bidder. Several tags have gone 100k+. Last year a deer tag sold for over 230k! Now that is some serious money, however who knows how the money is spent. I guess it's the new way for conservation in Utah. It is really a sham! The majority of Utah hunters are getting sucked into a draw system with longer lines and more people and in many cases decreasing tag numbers. But if you have the coin, then you don't have to wait in line. I hope it's only a matter of time till the average joe Utah hunter stands up and puts a stop to this high bidding insanity! Until then, stick with ducks! The FEDS are not auctioning off tags as of yet....

This last weekend the division held a hunting expo and they drew off 200 or so lottery tags for $5 an entry. All said the state probably raised 750k in just $5 application fees. Big game=big $$

#6 ·
shotgunjim said:
Let's get one thing very clear here, the "Division" were not the ones who put on the Expo, those A-holes from SFW put it on.
ya, but the division has gone along with the meat wagon and ponied up the tags. the divison is just as guilty if not more with what is happening. SFW has infiltrated the wildlife board and its now going the way of the high dollar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.