Bear Gun/Brush Gun

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Bear Gun/Brush Gun

Postby jeff_osu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:25 am

My job sends me out in the field a lot, specifically into black bear and cougar territory (boot of NM, Canada, etc.). I don't need anything big enough for a grizzly, but I'm trying to settle on a good bear defense gun. I realize it's unlikely I will run into trouble, but I spend so many days out in the woods that my exposure rate skyrockets. Some of my colleagues have been stalked by cougars as well.

I had a S&W 629 .44 magnum with a 6.5" barrel, which was a breeze to carry. Unfortunately, it was stolen, and I'm in a rut as to what I should replace it with. What I need is something that satisfies these criteria:
1) Open sights
2) Adequate penetration for a black bear
3) Bigger caliber is obviously better
4) Smaller overall gun size would be a plus
5) Quick access for snap shooting

I am torn between 3 options:
1) Replace my original S&W 629 with 6.5" for a hip holster.
2) Get a longer-barreled .44 and carry with a chest holster.
3) Carry a .45/70 Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in a safari carry.

I am not especially concerned with the cost of ammo or any uses other than as a brush defense gun. It only needs to shoot accurately to 50 meters, but it needs to penetrate and put a bear down (with proper shot placement of course). I would appreciate any input, thanks!

Edit: Should I consider Savage's HogHunter .338 bolt-action?
jeff_osu
hunter

Re: Bear Gun/Brush Gun

Postby Tenner » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:51 pm

Bear Spray. I am an avid hunter/outdoorsman. Where I hunt we have the Grizzlies! I can show you pics from my bear bait. I used to think about how a weapon would work better. I started to research it and its proven that bear spray is a better option. Believe it or not. I feel more comfortable with bear spray then with a rifle or hand gun. The nice thing is, it will work on any animal. Not just bears.

Heck of a lot cheaper too!
Tenner
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:01 pm

jeff_osu wrote:My job sends me out in the field a lot, specifically into black bear and cougar territory (boot of NM, Canada, etc.). I don't need anything big enough for a grizzly, but I'm trying to settle on a good bear defense gun. I realize it's unlikely I will run into trouble, but I spend so many days out in the woods that my exposure rate skyrockets. Some of my colleagues have been stalked by cougars as well.

I had a S&W 629 .44 magnum with a 6.5" barrel, which was a breeze to carry. Unfortunately, it was stolen, and I'm in a rut as to what I should replace it with. What I need is something that satisfies these criteria:
1) Open sights
2) Adequate penetration for a black bear
3) Bigger caliber is obviously better
4) Smaller overall gun size would be a plus
5) Quick access for snap shooting

I am torn between 3 options:
1) Replace my original S&W 629 with 6.5" for a hip holster.
2) Get a longer-barreled .44 and carry with a chest holster.
3) Carry a .45/70 Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in a safari carry.

I am not especially concerned with the cost of ammo or any uses other than as a brush defense gun. It only needs to shoot accurately to 50 meters, but it needs to penetrate and put a bear down (with proper shot placement of course). I would appreciate any input, thanks!

Edit: Should I consider Savage's HogHunter .338 bolt-action?

I was going to suggest a marlin 336 .30-30 lever gun or The marlin 1894 in .45 remington but the .45/70 would be my choice of those 3
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:46 am

Guide Gun in 45-70 or 450 Marlin or a short, handy pump shotgun with a set of Ghost Ring sights, loaded up with breneke K.O. slugs and 00 buck. LOTS of stopping power and quick to deploy. And some bear spray...
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:05 am

dsm16428 wrote:short, handy pump shotgun with a set of Ghost Ring sights, loaded up with breneke K.O. slugs and 00 buck. LOTS of stopping power and quick to deploy....

x2 :thumbsup:
I would prefer rifle sites myself but if you can shoot gost rings they are great too!!!!!!!!
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:02 am

ALL Ranchers and some guides carry the guide gun in 45/70 with Buffalo bore 400 grain shells for grizzly protection :thumbsup: .They will stop a train if you do your part :huh:
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby Tenner » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:36 pm

I will stick to my bear spray any day.
Tenner
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Tenner wrote:I will stick to my bear spray any day.

Good luck with it!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it works out for you, it just requires them to get to close to you for my comfort level. We have really large Black bears in NC and on the coast there is so much agriculture it not uncommon to see them over 500 pounds. Thats not really something I want within 10 yards if he is charging.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby jeff_osu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:58 pm

I read the USFWS paper about how bear spray is more effective, I figure I would carry both, or give the bear spray to the person with me. With a 30-50 pound pack, bear spray is an afterthought burden-wise.

I decided to go with the 1895G. I'd love to get a pistol, but it's just not really reasonable to get a pistol to perform like a rifle. Thanks for all the feedback everybody!
jeff_osu
hunter

Return to Big Game