advice on sausage making

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

advice on sausage making

Postby ak2nydukhntn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:54 pm

hi all, moved back home to the land of whitetails and am going to process my own meat. i will start this year with some premade mixes a friend turned me on to, but would like to know if anyone is aware of a forum site or some such to get good advice on making my own seasoning mixes. i dont mind the mixes, but would rather custom make em to suit me, and venison is too tasty to be wasting on a botched mix, so i mainly just want to minimize that. thanks for the help in advance, good luck out there this year.
ak2nydukhntn
Newb

Re: advice on sausage making

Postby CLAYBREAKER22701 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:31 am

Of all the "homemade" recipe's I have seen - you cant beat some of the premade mix's. I use one we buy locally - I assume your talkig about making breakfast sausage? I will try to find a packet and get the name brand for you if thats the case.
CLAYBREAKER22701
hunter

Location: North of Richmond - South of DC-West of 95 - East of the Mountains.

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:57 am

do a google search on sausage making as there are some great sites on there with video links. got our recipe that way and sure do like the result of making our own. yip venison far to good to waste. the taste a little before you season the whole batch is the best bit of advice we got...sure beats stuffing up a heap at once.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:35 am

We usually use a pre mix of seasonings. (not sure of the name) Sometimes we "doctor" it up a little depending on what we're looking for. Also we keep a skillet handy and try a small amount before we grind the whole batch. That's the best way to find if you've got everything just right. Generally as it sits in the freezer the seasonings flavor will become more pronounced.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:20 pm

Never used a package mix in my whole life..................

Go with what you like.................
Wort, soy, brown sugar, honey, garlic salt/powder, onion salt, cayenne, sherry, liquid smoke.....
soak it over night and let it dry in a smoker, in the oven on low heat or out in the shed .
Jerky is easy...................

Sausage needs some pork or beef fat mix to work but not too much ....this is a whole new ball game and
needs more equipment and knowledge to get a good mix and also turn out a log that will taste ok.
Lots of reading is required for the first timer and youtube is a must to try and not waste your meat, the first time out.
Too many ways to do it........... lots of luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Big Game