Deer Down in NS

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Deer Down in NS

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:19 am

Our deer rifle season began on the 26th of Oct. but I had to take my youngest daughter for some surgery so hunting the oppener was out but the second day was the only day I would get to hunt for the first 2 weeks of season. I spooked a deer as I made my way in to the stand in the dark at 5:30am and by 8:00am It was getting a bit chilly so I moved around some and decided to try rattling, so I used the rattle bag fairly agressively for about 3 min. and waited watching where the trail comes up from the swamp but nothing was happening so after 20 min. I gave the bag another try this time starting out softly and then getting more agresive as I went for about 5min. Ten min. went by and then I heard something comming across the swamp so I grabed the binos and could see bits and pieces of the deer as it came through the alders and into the mixed soft and hardwoods.I picked up my rifle too late to get on him as he broke threw an opening and just then my cell phone rang. The deer locked up and all I could see was one hock of a hind leg so switched the phone off and waited what seemed like an eternity for him to move but ever so cautiously he took a step then an other until I could see his entire neck and most of his shoulder so I placed the crosshairs on the base of his neck and touched the trigger off on my 6.5x55. The young buck dropped like a stone flinched his head twice and was still, now my work was about to begin. It was a 140lb 3point buck but would have had more points if the main beam on his right side was not broken off at the base.

I wish you all a great season whether you bag a deer or not. Enjoy being in the outdoors and above all be safe!
Cheers, Greg.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Re: Deer Down in NS

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:15 pm

Congrats on the buck.
Perfect example of why I shut my phone off as soon as I leave the house or, at least, I put it in airplane mode. :thumbsup:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Re: Deer Down in NS

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:13 pm

I never even thought about the cell phone being in my coat pocket till it rang, lol. But it all worked out in the end.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Return to Big Game