Question for those who do not field dress their deer

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Question for those who do not field dress their deer

Postby lekkkk » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:08 pm

When you harvest a deer and transport it home, do you normally dress it like most i.e. incision down the sternum then up the throat, remove entrails (tie off bung hole) and finally skin it?

I ask this because my family, who are Vietnamese, bust out the large torch and burn the hair off the deer first before we do any cutting.

I'm thinking this helps reduce the game taste. I know people use this process with wild hog as well. Maybe it's a regional thing? Any thoughts/opinions as to why one method would be better/worse than the other, preference wise, etc... Thanks!
lekkkk
hunter

Re: Question for those who do not field dress their deer

Postby Sfd714 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:54 pm

All i ever do is cut the butt out cut up the through the breast bone cut wind pipe break pelvic bone.and it all slides out nice.and easy. Throw it in the truck and haul it home.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.
Sfd714
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:37 pm

That is most DEFINETLY a CULTURAL thing more so than a regional thing. I don't know a single American hunter that would burn off the hair BEFORE skinning game. The ONLY reason it's done overseas is because most cultures that do that in the first place aren't skinning it before they just go and lay it on the fire to cook as it is. Why biurn off the hair if you're going to skin it? That makes zero sense and more work and btw, it does not reduce any "gamy" taste. All it's going to do is stink up the place with the smell of burned hair. Though now I see why the Duria fruit is so popular among Southeast asians... :no:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:51 pm

dsm16428 wrote:That is most DEFINETLY a CULTURAL thing more so than a regional thing. I don't know a single American hunter that would burn off the hair BEFORE skinning game. The ONLY reason it's done overseas is because most cultures that do that in the first place aren't skinning it before they just go and lay it on the fire to cook as it is. Why biurn off the hair if you're going to skin it? That makes zero sense and more work and btw, it does not reduce any "gamy" taste. All it's going to do is stink up the place with the smell of burned hair. Though now I see why the Duria fruit is so popular among Southeast asians... :no:

Crawl back into your hole. :no:
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Bulldog0156 wrote:
dsm16428 wrote:That is most DEFINETLY a CULTURAL thing more so than a regional thing. I don't know a single American hunter that would burn off the hair BEFORE skinning game. The ONLY reason it's done overseas is because most cultures that do that in the first place aren't skinning it before they just go and lay it on the fire to cook as it is. Why biurn off the hair if you're going to skin it? That makes zero sense and more work and btw, it does not reduce any "gamy" taste. All it's going to do is stink up the place with the smell of burned hair. Though now I see why the Duria fruit is so popular among Southeast asians... :no:

Crawl back into your hole. :no:

Excuse me? So everything is typed isn't 100% true? Thinking maybe YOU need to try the ole' hole out there bud...
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Return to Big Game