Is this the same buck?

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Is this the same buck?

Postby sharris » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 am

I have a picture of a buck and what I think is the same one two weeks later. The last fork in the antlers looks noticeably larger and my buddy thinks the body size is also larger. Is this the same or two different bucks?

Original pictures:

Two weeks later:
sharris
hunter

Re: Is this the same buck?

Postby whisperin' duck » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:27 am

Looks similar but I can't really tell because of the flash.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:09 pm

The perspective and flash throw it off.

Shoot one and see if there's still one that comes back ;)
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby sharris » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Yeah, the buck didn't pose nearly as well for the second set of pictures. I pulled my camera to not spook it and moved the tree stand in a good ambush spot near the trail. The neighbor asked for permission to hunt it on my place during the early archery season and if he doesn't get it I'll see if I can find it during a later season.

Can antlers grow that fast? If you look at the change in the last fork it would have grown an inch or two over a two week period.
sharris
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:59 pm

sharris wrote:Yeah, the buck didn't pose nearly as well for the second set of pictures. I pulled my camera to not spook it and moved the tree stand in a good ambush spot near the trail. The neighbor asked for permission to hunt it on my place during the early archery season and if he doesn't get it I'll see if I can find it during a later season.

Can antlers grow that fast? If you look at the change in the last fork it would have grown an inch or two over a two week period.

I don't know specific rates but its some of if not the fastest growing tissue known.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Omaha Clucker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 am

Agree the flash/angle makes it tough but I would say yes. The brow tines seem to stay proportional with his right being a little longer. The curve of his left G2 in the last pic looks consistent with your first pic too.
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby sharris » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks. If it's the same buck and his antlers are growing that fast I'll be happy to see him when the season starts.
sharris
hunter

Postby bamahuntnfool » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Omaha Clucker wrote:Agree the flash/angle makes it tough but I would say yes. The brow tines seem to stay proportional with his right being a little longer. The curve of his left G2 in the last pic looks consistent with your first pic too.

I Concur with OC...
bamahuntnfool
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:48 am

Id say its the same buck for sure unless he's got a twin running around.

The last fork and the rack probably looks different from him rubbing some of that velvet off.
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby okdave » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:04 am

sharris wrote:Yeah, the buck didn't pose nearly as well for the second set of pictures. I pulled my camera to not spook it and moved the tree stand in a good ambush spot near the trail. The neighbor asked for permission to hunt it on my place during the early archery season and if he doesn't get it I'll see if I can find it during a later season.

Let the damn thing grow!
okdave
hunter

Postby sharris » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 am

The neighbor has been out bow hunting on my property but hasn't seen him yet. We put the trail camera back up and will hopefully get a better look at him. I decided to not hunt any deer this year due to decreased population numbers (we're down about 30-40% since last year according to game and fish) but am happy to see the neighbor out with his young daughter teaching her about hunting.
sharris
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:04 am

I would say it's the same deer. That amount of growth in a week is typical.

My neighbor raises elk, which have a better diet than just about any elk you will find in the wild, and its unbelievable how fast those racks grow. You can see the difference overnight.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:54 am

The good thing is that your neighbor being in the woods, will make sure he stays nocturnal except during the rut. If you need meat and it's legal, take a doe or three. Cull some trash bucks. Work on genetics while the population is down. I told my hunting partner, land owner, buck murderer, that if he ain't going to put it on the wall - don't shoot it. He keeps taking potential 160 class bucks, nailing their racks on the barn. We can take 6 Doe's. He hasn't quiet got the ideal in his head yet. We're bow hunters, but starting Nov 9th, we gonna be wackin n stackin some Doe's...
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Since I'm currently out of town, I had my wife put the camera up a few days ago.
She pulled this picture this morning.

photo.JPG
AR Dave
hunter

Return to Big Game