Tree Stand Theft Prevention

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Tree Stand Theft Prevention

Postby Black Smoke » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:18 am

Hey guys I have a serious problem with trespassers and I was curious to what would be the best way to make sure that my stands didn't get stolen. I was told put a chain around them but will this work? Any other ideas?
Black Smoke
hunter

Re: Tree Stand Theft Prevention

Postby DUCK HUNTER123 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:04 pm

A chain can be cut by using a bolt cutters, I use to chain mine up and thats what happen to me. So I started using large wire rope and locked it on there. I have had people to try and still my stand without success. You could see the marks where someone tryed to use bolt cutters. I put the lock in a position where its to hard to use a bolt cutter. I figured if there going to steal it there going to have to work for it...
DUCK HUNTER123
hunter

Postby cONG » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:11 pm

I use a chain, and a cheap lock. I hunt private ground tho.
The best thing to do is buy a tree climber, they are like a lazy boy of tree stands
cONG
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:15 am

I hunt private land too but that doesn't stop people from trespassing. DUCK HUNTER, do you crimp the cable like you would a texas rig for decoys then wrap it around the tree and lock it up?
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby DUCK HUNTER123 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:40 am

Yes, I crimp them. You can also buy them from rigging and welding supply stores.
DUCK HUNTER123
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Cool thanks for the advice!
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby DUCK HUNTER123 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Hey smoke noticed your from indiana, there is a company called fm mafco in south east indiana that can hook u up with a good industrial cable choker. Let me now if u want there number.
DUCK HUNTER123
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:26 am

For sure man I am from the northern part but it can't hurt. Do they happen to have a website?
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:21 pm

A guy I know has a cool way to eliminate theft. He uses hang on stands all of the same kind. I don't know the brand but they have two pieces of steel from the platform to the seat. He has a welder weld a 1/4 inch plate about 4 x 4 across these two pieces. In this plate is a 1/2 inch wide by 1 1/2 inch channel. He sets up a lot of trees with screw in steps. He then screws in a long 1/2 inch lag bolt with a big heavy washer on it. When he hunts a tree he climbs up hangs his stand on the lag, cinches down a ratchet strap and he is there. He just takes the stand with him each time and it just takes a second to hang and use. pretty slick set up. He has trees with steps and lags all over his property for different days and winds. Hope this helps.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Return to Big Game