Central Florida and 1911?

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Central Florida and 1911?

Postby FreedomHunter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:01 pm

So here is the thing, I live in central FL and our deer are about the size of dogs and I do mean this literally, between 80-110lbs if your lucky. I am only able to hunt public land as of now and in order to increase my success rate I need to travel back into the swamp. I have to climb over falling trees, walk through knee high water, and march through brush that you cannot see 5 feet in front of where you are going. I have purchased the Ruger Mark ii compact in .308 which is short (16.5 inch barrel) it has no iron sights and it is supporting a 3x9 Nikon scope. Some places it will be a great rifle and others I am still finding it to large and with the scope its not that great for areas I can only see 20-25 yards while hunting.

For these areas I think a pistol would be great, but I only own two and neither are hunting pistols. I own a XD .40 S&W subcompact for personal carry which I would not use because of the short barrel length and a Ranger officer 1911. Now my question is has anyone used 1911 45 acp for this distance on deer, keeping in mind it is not like the deer up north. I know there are way better options but the fact of the matter is I cannot afford to purchase another gun, if I could I would buy a single action revolver for this. I do carry the 1911 on me while gun hunting and I am pretty confident with my accuracy at this distance, but I am not sure about the load itself and the max effective range.

So what do you guys think stick with the rifle at this range or is the 1911 good for this situation?
FreedomHunter
hunter

Re: Central Florida and 1911?

Postby FSUDuck » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:47 pm

Stick with the rifle. I would never try to use a handgun on a deer for a distance. If you dont have a high quality shot, dont pull the trigger.
FSUDuck
hunter

Re: Central Florida and 1911?

Postby ajmorell » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:09 am

It will probably do the job but I'd really opt for something bigger like a 357 or 44 for deer
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Return to Big Game