First Bear with the bow

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

First Bear with the bow

Postby Bloke » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:40 am

I just got a call from my taxidermist that the skull for my bear was finished. Being that it has been 3 years since I shot it, I had almost forgotten about it. There was a pretty cool story behind it and figured I would post it here as I managed to get the pictures as well. I live in lenoir county NC where we just got a bear season 5 years ago. There is a pretty substantial catch to our season. When this bear was shot the season was only a week long, and you are not allowed to bait at all which makes taking a bear without dogs next to impossible. So I was actually deer hunting on the edge of a field. It was getting late and this bear popped out about 80 yards from me and laid down in the field. It was the first time I had one that wasn't passing through, I knew there would be no deer around, so I decided to mess with it. It took out my grunt call which has different areas you can pinch and change to tone, and started bellowing like an injured fawn. Everytime I would make a call she would sit up like a dog and look but never move. Finally about the 5th time she got up and started going back the way she came. Well the field takes a hard right and comes to a point, which is where I was sitting. She got to the wood line and followed the edge of the field to 17 yards, where I put a shaft right in her neck, after which she made the most God aweful sound I have ever heard. She went about 120 yards and piled up. Any way, I am currently waiting on a half mount to be finished. I figured how often would it be that you call in a black bear and shoot it with archery equipment in a place where you can't bait and there is only a 1 week season. A trophy in my boo
Attachments
BEAR 3.jpg
BEAR 3.jpg (20.24 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
BEAR 2.jpg
BEAR 2.jpg (21.47 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
Bear 1.jpg
Bear 1.jpg (21.24 KiB) Viewed 1121 times
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Re: First Bear with the bow

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Cool story and a nice bear :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:08 pm

nice bear and great story. I've always wanted to try to call a bear in with a predator call, but never have had the stars line up yet. We are fortunate to be able to bait and have a two month season in the spring and two months in the fall. I've only seen a half dozen bears in the wild in 23 years in Idaho that weren't on a bait, so sightings are rare and like you said, I don't know how you'd hunt them without a lot of luck involved. In an area where we rarely see tracks or any bear sign we had 34 different bears on four baits within a 2 mile radius.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby KRB » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:01 am

Very cool how you got that bear. Gotta feel good. :bow:
KRB
hunter

Return to Big Game