Broadheads. Mechanical or fixed

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

Broadheads. Mechanical or fixed

Postby Jasonmaure » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:06 am

Which do you prefer to use? Have you had any bad experiences with mechanicals or fixed? Check out this out may get you thinking of a change
http://wwocz.net/jason-mechanical-vs-fi ... roadheads/
Jasonmaure
hunter

Re: Broadheads. Mechanical or fixed

Postby Jimmy82 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:27 pm

I haven't tried mechanical yet, I hear they don't work very well with a slow bow, and mine is slow. It's about 13 years old, dual cam, and set to 55# lol. But I hunt heavily wooded areas and realistically will seldom see a good shot past 30 yds. I used a Muzzy 3 blade 100gr and had a complete pass through at just under 10 yds last season (first deer taken with a bow ever). I don't know if the blades helped guide it through the ribs or if I just got lucky but entry and exit were both between bones. My boss had about a 15 yd shot with a mechanical and his arrow only went about half way in, the deer broke it off running through the brush and pushed the rest of it into her guts in the process. IIRC he was pushing 65# on a much newer rig.

I do like that the mechanical type produce bigger wound channels, and hold consistently tighter than fixed. But I was thoroughly impressed with my poor old bows performance. When I do set aside some cash for a new bow I will be experimenting to see what broadhead would be the best option.
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:38 pm

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=332634

I'm shooting G5 Montechs.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:43 pm

Jimmy82 wrote:I haven't tried mechanical yet, I hear they don't work very well with a slow bow, and mine is slow. It's about 13 years old, dual cam, and set to 55# lol. But I hunt heavily wooded areas and realistically will seldom see a good shot past 30 yds. I used a Muzzy 3 blade 100gr and had a complete pass through at just under 10 yds last season (first deer taken with a bow ever). I don't know if the blades helped guide it through the ribs or if I just got lucky but entry and exit were both between bones. My boss had about a 15 yd shot with a mechanical and his arrow only went about half way in, the deer broke it off running through the brush and pushed the rest of it into her guts in the process. IIRC he was pushing 65# on a much newer rig.

I do like that the mechanical type produce bigger wound channels, and hold consistently tighter than fixed. But I was thoroughly impressed with my poor old bows performance. When I do set aside some cash for a new bow I will be experimenting to see what broadhead would be the best option.

it doesnt take a terrible amount of force to throw a small dia. sharpened stick through a deer. as long as you dont hit bone.

I had a complete pass throughs on both of the deer I killed with my Alpine micro years ago (45-55lbs) and both of those deer were 25-30yds. shooting Muzzy 4-blades.

I smoked a doe at 55yds with my Quest hammer at 65lbs shooting Muzzy-4 blades, busted up the shoulder blade my arrow went in about 5in, and she dropped on the spot. Then this past season I smoked another doe in my yard with my hammer shooting G5 montechs this time and she was at a perfect 20yds and had a complete pass through the lungs.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby Jasonmaure » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:35 am

It's all about preference! This blog got a lot of good conversations going all over the hunting forums and got people thinking about different ways and heads. Glad you both commented. Thank you. Good luck next season with whatever type you shoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasonmaure
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:13 pm

Grim reaper whitetail specials 2" cut 3blade mechanical. Shot a 130 class buck last yr at 53 yrds the broad head cut the left lung clean in half. Buck fell down 3 times made it 50 yrds and didn't get back up. Also had good luck in the past with rage broad heads till I shot a buck at 12 yrds and I'm positive the broad head never deployed.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:27 am

2500hdon37s wrote:
Jimmy82 wrote:I haven't tried mechanical yet, I hear they don't work very well with a slow bow, and mine is slow. It's about 13 years old, dual cam, and set to 55# lol. But I hunt heavily wooded areas and realistically will seldom see a good shot past 30 yds. I used a Muzzy 3 blade 100gr and had a complete pass through at just under 10 yds last season (first deer taken with a bow ever). I don't know if the blades helped guide it through the ribs or if I just got lucky but entry and exit were both between bones. My boss had about a 15 yd shot with a mechanical and his arrow only went about half way in, the deer broke it off running through the brush and pushed the rest of it into her guts in the process. IIRC he was pushing 65# on a much newer rig.

it doesnt take a terrible amount of force to throw a small dia. sharpened stick through a deer. as long as you dont hit bone.

I had a complete pass throughs on both of the deer I killed with my Alpine micro years ago (45-55lbs) and both of those deer were 25-30yds. shooting Muzzy 4-blades.

I smoked a doe at 55yds with my Quest hammer at 65lbs shooting Muzzy-4 blades, busted up the shoulder blade my arrow went in about 5in, and she dropped on the spot. Then this past season I smoked another doe in my yard with my hammer shooting G5 montechs this time and she was at a perfect 20yds and had a complete pass through the lungs.

Very true, kind of the same concept when you talk about using .243 vs .300 Win Mag on deer. I believe shot placement trumps power. Practice, knowing your limitations and the limitations of your gear, and making shots accordingly will lead to less misses and less game being lost.
Jimmy82
hunter

Return to Big Game