2014 trail cam thread

Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Hog

Moderators: stumpjumper, don taylor

2014 trail cam thread

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:08 am

One of my favorite things to do is look through the pictures from my trail cameras. Our bear season starts in 10 days and I'm sitting on go. I can't wait to see what bears we have coming in this spring. Last year we documented 34 bears on 4 baits and all 4 hunters in our crew tagged out. This year I'm hoping to get a blonde bear and have my eye on one that we never did connect with last year. About 50% of the bears we see are blonde with maybe 40% some phase of brown and less than 10% black. It's like christmas when I plug the memory card into the computer. I consider myself a bear hunter who happens to make duck decoys, my party is about to get started.

Feel free to post up your trail cam pictures. Here are a few from last year, in a few weeks I hope to be posting pictures of bears from this year. You never know what you will catch on camera.

golden eagle.

the bear I shot last year.

one we will be taking a hard look at this spring.

I'll be real curious how many wolves we see this year, wolf season is closed during the spring bear season and we were tagged out in the fall for bears when the wolf season is open. You can shoot a wolf over a bait, but you can't bait for wolves, so hunting over a bear bait with your tag filled would have been illegal.

We will see what this year brings. This is the one I really have my sights on this year.
woodduck31
hunter

Re: 2014 trail cam thread

Postby Sammyshonker » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:52 am

Very nice, what color is that bear that's in the dark, is that the cinnamon bear in the other pic ?
"Until then, I'm gonna fear God, love my neighbor, and kill ducks, and let the cards fall where they may..."
Phil Robertson
Sammyshonker
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:41 pm

it's a blonde. we have a lot of variety of color phase in our location, black is probably the most rare.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Are you in Idaho or eastern Washington?

I remember the outfitter I elk hunted with in Idaho saying they make a killing on marketing color phase bears out there.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:30 pm

I'm in Idaho, I don't doubt that guides up here market the color phase bears. Black is the rarest color phase we see in my neck of the woods. guides with hounds like to strike off of my bait sites, kind of aggravating, but that's just the way it is.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby neapew » Wed May 07, 2014 2:23 pm

2014 bears just taken on Monday
Attachments
bears 019.JPG
bears 002.JPG
neapew
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:42 pm

we've just started here, although season has been open for almost three weeks. We have had snow too deep to get to our area, but we have 3 of our 4 baits out now and had action within the first two days. We will probably start hunting by the 20th if everything goes according to plan.

a bear checking out my porcupine box that I put over my camera. It's a wood box with drywall screws poking out all over it. I've had two cameras chewed up beyond repair and wanted to see if I could stop that.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby neapew » Fri May 09, 2014 9:10 am

Yeah having the same problem with my cam bears knocking them around lost 3 already,tell me if it works. The bears here are just starting to move around caught those 2 on cam going to start hunting May 22 . The times and dates are not right never had time to fix them still have my cam out more pic to come.
neapew
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:02 pm

I kind of figured your dates weren't set, been there done that. We had a leaf river a long time ago that it took an electrical engineer to program, so we never worried much about the date. These browning cameras are simple, but I'm not overly impressed with the photos and the night time photos are poor at best. The still tell me what I need to know and the price was reasonable. I'm supposed to have a photo that a buddy took yesterday of the camera box. So far we've had two bears nose into the camera and they didn't move it at all.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:42 am

so far so good with the porcupine box, nothing has moved them. I'm using a bow hanger on one and a camera hold on the other. The HME camera holder is not as strong as the bow holder, but easier to adjust the angle.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... i?i=614332

the bow hanger is similar to this, I got it from sportsman's warehouse for $8. One thing it doesn't show on the photo is the piece that the bow hangs on has a quarter inch thread that extends from the coated hanger part up through the square tubing and I can mount my camera on that. It's much stronger, I can hold my weight on that bracket and it won't pull out. It's a little harder to aim the camera since it lacks adjustments, but a whale of a lot easier to adjust when strapping the camera to a tree. It doesn't matter how bit the tree is now or if it's straight up and down.
http://www.midwestarchery.net/productde ... es%252DBow

This is the porcupine box, so far two bears have nosed up to it and neither has moved it at all.

woodduck31
hunter

Return to Big Game