Duck Hunting Forum banner

Maine deer!

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  justduckingaround 
#1 ·
Went up to the camp for Thanksgiving.

I got my doe on Thanksgiving day, and Smeezo got his buck the next morning.

We had one other guy miss a buck as well. Lots of deer around this year.

See less See more
#13 ·
257# is a horse!

I wasn't trying to be a jerk.

I believe more of the 200#+ bucks typically come from the more northern portions of the state. You are WAY north of me, no matter how the pie is sliced.

A big FL deer is 150 with the insides still in there. 80-90# (guts in) is a typical doe down here. It is pretty amazing how the critters are so small down here. Primarily from the extended summer heat - it would bake a big northern buck like a potatoe in the microwave. May - September we average 95 degrees day and around 80 degrees night.

I hunt up around Moosehead & the Allegash when I hunt Maine. Every couple of years my group ends up with a 200+, most run 150-185 where we hunt.

#14 ·
you are right that the deer further north are generally bigger. in fact, there in a class of their own. we hunt in eustis and bingham mostly but the rest of the season we hunt around home here helping my uncles and cousins tag out. we got one 8pt. 257lbs about 15 minutes or so from the maine mall. that was two seasons ago now. i love the allagash but we wait till the snow as we kill most of our bucks on the track

#15 ·
Could end up with a big buck anywhere in Maine, a guy got one almost #300 a few years back in Waterboro, my friend got on 206 in Alfred this year. Chances of seeing a big deer are better farther north. May not see many deer but the ones that can survive the winter up north gotta be big. I've seen guys shoot does over 180 up there.

I hunt the Allagash area every year and deer were scarce this year after last winter. Only spent 1 week this year where I usually plan to spend 3. Next year I'll have another week off and plan to spend the whole month of November up there. Allready looking foreward to it and making plans.

You just have the feeling when you're up there any minute you could see the deer of your life. Makes it a lot easier to get up every morning and stay out all day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.